Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tube repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LongT, Jun 25, 2012.

1. LongT

LongT

I tried a search but couldn't find an answer. I had a flat on my T, nail. The tires are the typical M/T Sportsman bias with a tube. I'm having trouble finding a place to repair the tube. One place will dismount the tire so I can fix it. Finding tube repair kits isn't easy either.

I find a lot of tube repair kits for bicycle tires, I even have some. Looking at REMA's, manufacturer of patches, site I think that the patches are the same for bicycle and car. The bicycle patches seem awful light. Anone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just use the same patch that you would use on a tubeless tire. Just not the new plug patchs the goverment now require shops to use.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Just buy another tube and forget about it

4. LongT

LongT

$70 plus shipping but if I have to I will.

We were just talking about the 4 engined dragster at work on Friday!! Cool!!

Bill

5. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

A couple screw drivers & a patch kit. Tube tire are NOT as tight on the rim as tubeless so you could take it off & patch it like a bicycle & you better know how to do that.

6. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Two weeks ago after work I changed two tires & patch one tube cause . . . , well . . . , my A has tubes in the front & I to drive it to work the next day.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think NAPA will still have car patch kits, though not the good fire type...
    When you remove a tube and its tire, first mark on the tire where the stem from the tube aligns...this is so you can match up the location on tire that corresponds to the hole in the tube. You need to investigate to make sure there is not still a piece of furrin material or a rough spot that could immediately kill your repaired tube...

8. LongT

LongT

I do. I ride a bicycle 1500-2000 miles per year. I do get flats!

Thanks,

Bill

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Zero dollars! I save the "best looking" tire that may work

10. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Cool!!! No problem then. Remember dont pinch the tube, just like a bike

11. LongT

LongT

I'll have to call. I searched them but nothing came up. I used to like those patches you lit up. As a kid it was fun!! Bicycle repairs now use a cold vulcanizing liquid. Works great on a bicycle. 120 lbs pressure but light vehicle weight.

Bill

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Gert them to drag out the paper catalog called something like "supplies and accessories" ...pretty sure that will have a lot of tube stuff withing.
    If not:
    Gempler's...huge tire supply section for farmers
    Patchboy.com...really!

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I ride a 20"freestyle DYNO & run 80psi & use a thin piece of cardboard & superglue. Save your money & time go fix it now! Takes 15min. It'll be fun. You won't talk about the time you ordered a new tube.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And remember...this here is 1952. If it takes 5 hours and a gallon of blood beacause tire is rusted to rim and your iron is only a foot long, it's STILL a bargain over a new tube!

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Well maybe you guys got a point. Im over here in CA where its dry. Bill if its not a rust bucket wheel & take-offable, give it a try.

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Be aware that some companies make their (race) tires and tubes glue resistant so one has to buy new--liablity issue

Also as far as Bicycle tube are concerned , They have less stretch that a car tube,

17. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Thanks, Now I know. Did you hear that? If it doesn't stick, burn it on!!! See, its getting funner as we speak, I mean type.

Shit, Im kind of board, I'm gonna go look for a nail.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also...go read "Grapes of wrath"...it actually has a great roadside tire repair in it.

19. LongT

LongT

Found a commercial truck tire place. Will be done tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Bill

20. Heo2

Heo2

To bee completly traditional cut a patch
    from another old tube

21. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Get some slime and run it in all of your tires. End of problem. When we were racing dirt bikes in the desert, we ran it and never got a leak. That shit really does work.

22. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I thought that stuff was for tubeless tires??Did you put it in the tubes?

23. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

Also a great bit on bearing/babbit repair using rawhide!! It really worked! Don't ask me how I know this.

24. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

try a off road truck shop..
    if ya were closer i have some out in the garage {which i got from a off road truck shop}

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

We used slime in tubes. When we finally replaced the tubes, the old ones looked like they had been sleeping with porcupines.

26. 460stang

460stang

might want to check out a local pepboys, i know the one by me carried patch kits, i had to get a kit to patch a tube in one of my slicks.

27. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Tractor supply has kits for bias and radial tubes--made by SLIME!

[​IMG]
    Slime® Rubber Patch Kit

In Stores Only

[​IMG]
    $1.99
    <input value="118357" id="comparison_checkbox_2" name="productId" type="checkbox">Compare

[​IMG]
    Slime® Deluxe Tire Patch Kit with Glue

In Stores Only

[​IMG]
    $2.99
    <input value="118337" id="comparison_checkbox_3" name="productId" type="checkbox">Compare

28. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I came back looking for a fun story ending & . . . . No Story, No Fun, Buy & Replace, No Soul. Im going to the book story to buy "Grapes Of Wrath"

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Next thing you know people are going to be calling AAA...sheesh.
    Coupla years ago, a semi careful HAMBer with poor information skills rang up the AA... he reported that that was a complete waste; a bunch of drunks showed up.
    We need some PRIMAL tech here: Slay a groundhog with your tire iron, cut patches from the hide, eat the carcass to sustain your work while boiling leftover hide and spare parts in hubcap to make glue...can't anyone do ANYTHING anymore??
    If Joad's grandchildren had to hit the road now, they'd wind up broken down at the first rest area begging for french fries from the touists...

30. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Bicycle shops all have patch kits,.........

4TTRUK