Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bringing back the Legendary Big John Mazmanian Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beegator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Rocky:

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to down anything you're doing with the Mazmanian car. I hope it turns out great. I just wanted to point out some of major differences in the car from near the end to when Bones drove it. Some people don't realize there's a difference. I should have known you and your crew will pick up on the finer styling differences. Good luck and make Big John proud.

2. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Thank's Rocky,Myself,my son and the folks that work for us can't wait to see it!!

3. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

So, then what car has been displayed around California the past few years?

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That aught to be the recreation done by Ken McIntyre out of the old Graham Cracker car.

5. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Yes, that's Ken McIntyre's "tribute" car. I've heard he sold it, but haven't heard who owns it now.

Big John's car was sold to the Hill Bros in late 66 when Dick Bourgeois' tour was done. The Hill Bros ran it through April or May of 67. They installed a 426 hemi, and eventually re-fabbed the supension. Looking to shave some more ET, they cut about 4" off the bottom of the nose and the rest of the car (similar to the last SWC car). They eventually wrecked the car, but noone really knows what happened to it after that. The Hill's yanked the drivetrain out of it, and put it in the 33 Willys they built with Chuck Finders, which debuted in June of 67.

Hill Brothers BJM1.jpg Hill Brothers3.jpg

EVL401 likes this.
  6. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

So, why another tribute? Thanks guys

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I thought it did but apparantly it was destroyed. However, there are already some outstanding clones.

8. snaptwo

snaptwo

Wasn't Gil's auto body one of the shops that were responsible for The Maz look. I knew they were friends at one time.

9. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Yes. If you look a few more posts up, you'll see the pic I submitted of Maz's car in 66. The Hills kept Maz's candy red paint and left most of the gold leaf lettering on the car. They changed the doors to reflect their name, added Mr Gasket, Crane Cams on the hood, and a couple other sponsors.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

After the NHRA announced they were having a "Showcase Eliminator" for the "classical AA/GS" cars. I thought how cool would it be to have my friend Bones return to Indy and race again. Since I had been collecting parts to build a period correct 40 Willys AA/GS car, I figured if I'd look into the possibility of having it completed by Indy. My main problem was the body I have is in really rough shape and there was no way we'd have it done in time. In stepped Scott Leber of Scotts Rods. I have dealt with Scott in the past and his bodies are some of the nicest being made today. Him and his crew worked over-time to have it completed and delivered it to the Thompson Gasser Reunion in early June. Since I always LOVED the 64 Big John car that Bones drove, I decided to pattern our build after it. After some conversations with Fred Bear and Bones it was decided to ask Vic Mazmanian for permission to use his fathers name, which is copy righted. The understanding is as follows, as long as the car looks like the original and is competitive with todays cars along with being SAFE, Vic would allow the use of the name for Bone's race at Indy. Sooooooo... To answer your question this is much more than a "tribute", its about bringing back one of the true legends of drag racing to return to the race he won fifty years earlier...AND to have him race in one of the most famous A/GS cars that ever graced a drag strip. To me and my entire crew, this is a honor, and we really look forward to having Bones compete in one of our cars. It's also a equal honor to have the chance to bring back to the fans of drag racing one of the biggest names in the history of the supercharged gas class.

11. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky,
    Knowing you and your crew like i do this car will be nothing short of amazing and safe for bones to drive. I can't stop thinking how it is going to make Freddy Bear and Bones feel to be racing on that track again. It is going to be one hell of an event and i'm so glad that i'm going to be part of it. If you need anything just let us know.
    Wanda

12. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

I agree Wanda. They put on a great show too. Best of luck with it Rocky.

13. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I hope more people follow your lead and bring back more cars from that era (whether OG or tribute) to be RACED. Good luck with the project!

14. beegator

beegator

Spy photos.... Thank you Michele :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. outlaw256

outlaw256

now will my glass 41 willys be accepted here?lol

16. violet springs

violet springs

Wow, that crank centerline is going to be at the maximum hight, Looks Good.

17. beegator

beegator

18. pappy1

pappy1
    from Penna.

Thanks for posting the pics, Bee

19. beegator

beegator

Pappy, are you going to paint it?

20. pappy1

pappy1
    from Penna.

No, He has someone.

21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't wait to see this at Indy. Pappy it was good to see you at York this weekend.
    Wanda

22. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Fantastic! Always loved that Willys! Had two sets of hot rod cards when I was a kid, one of the cards was BJM and his willys. Love it!

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

24. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Yes i saw the vettte in a private collection in Nebraska. very private and very cool

25. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Here's the finished product...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

The Original and the tribute...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  27. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

At the California Hot Rod Reunion... with Bones Balogh at the helm..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

29. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

30. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila