Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford 9 inch question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imitefinishthis1, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Ok guys I recently f***ed up and bought a ford 9.5" out of a continental. From what research I have done the housing is the same as a 9" with the exception of having a notch in it for the larger ring gear. I want to put a standard 9" carrier in it if I can. The gears now are way to tall and The availability of 9.5 gears is zilch. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Willy301

Willy301

I think you are better off finding a 9 inch housing. I have never heard of that combo, and it will definitely cause problems when you try to keep enough oil in it. The problem being that you will have to have more oil than normal for the 9 inch, and most of it will just be to get the level high enough for your gears, and so much that it will slosh and cause problems if you ever decide to go fast with it.

3. squirrel

squirrel

oil level? huh? :)

As far as I know it should work. Make sure the spline count is the same.

4. Cirilian

Cirilian

X2 on the oil level issue? You said it best, it is a 9 inch housing with a slit in it for the bigger ring gear. What's it going into, those are awfully wide?

5. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

X3 on the oil....

You are only going to fill it to the level of the fill plug on the side of the 9" drop out.The miniscule amount mopre of oil would hurt anything.

If you cannot return the whole thing and get your money back AND the housing fits the vehicle,just get the 9" setup and instal it into the housing and GO DOG GO!.

6. hippy killer

hippy killer

Willy301 explain your thoughts on the oil level pleas.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe it's a joke about "The gears now are way to tall" from the original post.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I thought same housing apart from notch to clear larger crown wheel and that a normal 9" centre was a bolt in provided you have correct splined centre to match axles

9. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

9 inch center section will bolt right in.........

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

9 inch will go right in.ive got one now resting under my 53 ranchwagon.and the housing will only hold oil up to the drain plug so whats the problem.

11. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

use a 31 spine 9 inch 3rd member with the fill plug .
    it bolts right in., oil level is fine. I have done this several times never had a problem.

12. Had one in my 56 Fairlane with a 9" pumpkin. bolted straight in and apparently it didn't get the memo cuz it never leaked a drop of oil.

13. The problem being that you will have to have more oil than normal for the 9 inch, and most of it will just be to get the levelhigh enough for your gears, and so much that it will slosh and cause problems if you ever decide to go fast with it.

It's virtually the same housing save for the notch.
    Theres not but At most there would be 1/4" more oil in it and that still wouldn't be an issue.

Sure would like to hear your reasoning behind that statement.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hey! Of ALL the recent threads I've read on here, this is only ONE out of 13 posts that is 'unusual'.

Strange odds... but, hey: 9.5" IS 'taller' than 9! LOL

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

"If it fits,..........."

4TTRUK