Register now to get rid of these ads!

Caddi motor in falcon/ranchero

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h2omonkey, Jun 23, 2012.

1. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Anyone ever seen a caddi motor in a falcon or ranchero? Did a search but didn't return anything. May have a ranchero coming my way and I know where a built 472 resides, some serious shoe horning and a straight axle would make for a neat little hot rod!

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I guess anything is possible but that swap sounds challenging to say the least, plus it seems like you would be adding a hell of a lot of weight to the front into a vehicle which was probably not ever made to carry such a front load.

Great straight line performance.
    Those spring towers could be a problem plus fitting trans and even a decent exhaust system under and thru.

I'd be interested to see what others think.

Good luck any ways...

3. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Well, with the straight axle, the spring towers come out, adding to the much needed room for this engine. Would definitely be challenging, but super different.

4. Putting a torque monster engine in those cars requires some substantial modifications to the unit body. Connector links are a must and beefing up the front frame members is also something to consider.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Actually, These "monster, heavy motors" are really nothing of the kind. They only outweigh a small block Chevy by about 50 lbs or so when an aluminum manifold is part of the deal. If you are going straight axle, as suggested above pull the spring towers out and build a pair of down bars to retrianglulate the front end, connect the subframes and dump that puppy in and TELL US how it fits!

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

might consider a large diameter metal tube rear bumper filled with ballast of some type to help get some traction. if ya do it keep us posted with progress

7. Mojo

Mojo

I think it would fit just fine. I've read about a mustang that had a caddy 500 in it, but I don't remember much about it. Same basic chassis. They had those monster 390's in them, so they can handle a lighter caddy 500 easily.

8. hippy killer

hippy killer

Big block caddy is cool in anything

9. anteek

anteek

472-500 caddy is much lighter than Fords FE turd.

10. Never saw that but I remember an old old article in hot rod or car craft about shoving a 429 engine in there without cutting and just using factory parts

11. moefuzz

moefuzz

Why would anybody put a cadlcrap turd in a Falcon?
    A 429 or 460 is capable of much much more hp and is far easier/cheaper to find performance parts for or to build big cubes with (521 ci with 700 hp is easy/reliable or 570+ inches and 850 is not hard to build).
    Forgo the planned obsolescence gas guzzler turdcad and put a real/potential hp motor in there.

12. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I made a Fopar so why not?[​IMG]

13. I have a 472 in my '29 Sedan and there is nothing crap about it. It has been abused for 10 years and is still as strong as the day I fired it up the first time. The thing runs low 12's. I guess if 12's disappoint you then just go with a SBC. I say GO FOR IT!!!!! If you decided against it though you can just by the Caddy and ship it to for Christmas.

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Don't know where you Chebbie guys get this stuff, but the FE ain't particularly heavy- about 620, or just about the same as the Caddy- and both are significantly lighter than a big Chebbie- in fact the little Chebbie is quite a bit heavier than the little Ford, too- the Chebbies across the board are the better anchors. Have you ever actually done anything serious with an FE, or just spreading propaganda? :rolleyes:

15. metalix_421

metalix_421

Do it!!!!! I just finished the 472 swap into my 56 olds a couple months ago.
    Swap wasn't to bad. Had to cut the x member for the oil pump and run a remote oil filter. The weight of it is only about 30 lbs or so heavier then a sbc and was lighter then my factory 324 olds.
    I say go for it and keep us posted

16. Gas mask

Gas mask
    from Canada

I'd love to see that. I wanna wedge some flavor of big block in mine once I stop chasing driveability issues. Keep us updated.

17. caseyrod

caseyrod

if you can dream it you can make it!!!

18. undergroundss

undergroundss

You can have a lot of low-buck fun with a stock 472 or 500 caddy. Keep revs below 4500...it wants to pull...not rev! Good luck with your Fordillac.

19. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Hey Moefuzz, you know what the fastest gas only powered vehicle used as a motor? That's right at 472 caddy, one of only a few certified at 400 (405 actually) and the only one using gasoline.And it won't cost more than a big ford motor cuss it's already built and I have access to it cheap. You use what you got.

20. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

. hey hey , modify the stock towers , firewall mods , set it back as far and as low as you can , 308 rear , fucker will fly. love a 472-500 cheap torque

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Unless you have you have a 66 falon ranchero a Ford 390 ain't about to fit without a lot of cutting 60-65 engines bays are small.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

EGG-Zactly right, Chip. These Caddies have hollow-design blocks, lots of main brg surface, are 120 lbs. (or thereabouts) lighter than FE Fords.

Everybody thinks they are the same casting as the old '49-'56, with the 300 lb. Hydra Matic hanging on the rear.
    Also, the lower block is narrow, starter on right side...a mini starter is available, under $100.
    Free lunch? Close to it....

23. shadyg

shadyg
    from S.Georgia

I like the idea. I built a 64 Falcon back in 02, put a 74 Mustang II under the front. That gave me enough room for a big block easy. I used a 90 mod. 5.0. Good luck and go for it.

I have a few photos in my album of the Falcon engine. I did talk to a guy years ago that had a 460 in a 65 Falcon, he was having problems with body twist.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  24. The Caddy engine will definately fit....That's why they invented the Oxyacetelyene torch, the Chop Saw, the 4"Angle Grinder, the Mig Welder, the AC/DC Arc Welder, and the BFH!!

25. Turd? Show me a stock Cadillac 472 that will come close to running with a 427 or a 428 FE, you can't cuz it doesn't exist.

And the Caddy is about 25 lbs lighter stock, hardly "Much Lighter". The cad comes in around 625 and the FE at 650. here a good source to look at. http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html And once you put an aluminum intake on both the Ford is actually lighter than the Caddy

Not knocking the CAD just setting the facts a little straighter, and even though i wouldn't do it, it would be interesting.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think it's a great idea. Forget about all the Ford-Chevy debates; they have little to do with your Cadillac swap. If you can get the Cadillac cheap it will make an unusual engine swap that should motivate the Ranchero pretty well!

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Considering the amount of sheer bullshit in this thread, that would take a post the length of War & Peace. Yea, and a stock cad running with a good FE? Thats funny right there. About as funny as "bolting" a 385 into a first gen falcon engine compartment...:rolleyes:

28. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Years ago I tucked a 371 Olds with hydro into a 62 chevy Nova. The big issue was the spring towers, so me being a know-it-all kid blew away a suggestion and went with a Ford Econoline shortened axle. It fit well, but the steering was a bear to impliment. A couple of years later I finally realized that the suggestion I blew away was a great idea. The suggestion was a Corvair front suspension, which bolted to the frame with 4 bolts. The springs are perched between the a-arms, so plenty of room.

I have been told that the Mustang II front end is very similar.

If I ever do another swap like that again, I probably will use a later Nova or Camaro front end, or the Mustang II unit.