Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Muttley

Muttley

2. Muttley

Muttley

3. Muttley

Muttley

4. Muttley

Muttley

5. Muttley

Muttley

6. Muttley

Muttley

7. Muttley

Muttley

8. Muttley

Muttley

9. Muttley

Muttley

10. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Ray Goodman's car. I was a young kid when I saw it slidin' down the strip at Gleason.
    I wish I knew where this was.
    Tom S. in Tn.

11. WCD

WCD

Funny how in 1963, the year that the nitro ban was lifted by the NHRA still found the dragsters were limited to gas. Hence Garlits wedge powered AA/GD

12. Conder

Conder

This car was built when Pete Ogden worked for Woody Gilmore. It's not the same car as the one above it from the previous post. Story told to me directly from Pete Ogden... They were experimenting with a fiberglass, stream liner body on this car. They ran it a few times and were having performance problems. Pete Suggested pulling the body off "so they could do some real racing." Apparently, there was a "slick spot" in one lane of the track and was giving every Fueler that passed through it grief. According to Pete, Tommy Ivo was the only driver who could drive through the spot under power without incident, jumping sideways as he did it. That's Pete Ogden upside down in the car. He said he remembered leaving the line, then he woke up on a table in the hospital being X-rayed. You can see the body framework still connected to the car, along with a full tank of nitro pouring out. Ogden worked for Woody as a chassis fabricator and was his driver at the time for "sorting out" Woody's cars for customers if they needed it.

I took these photos of the full body when I visited The Garlits Museum 6 years ago. I have no idea if the original chassis is still under it, but I'll bet those framed articles on the floor by the car say who designed and built the body. Pete told me but I can't remember...Anyone?

Attached Files:

13. Larry T

Larry T

Maybe Ron Scrima????????????

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

Here’s yet another short-lived streamlined attempt, the Mooneyham-Ferguson-Jackson-Faust machine, whose Jocko-designed metalflake-blue bodywork enclosed not only the cockpit but also the front tires. The sleek-looking piece spent just two days on the track, at Lions Drag Strip and San Fernando Raceway, May 8-9, 1965, and the popular “Jungle Four” SoCal team never ran better than 8.20 at 197.80. Just prior to building this car, the team -- Gene Mooneyham, driver “Jungle Larry" Faust, Wayne Ferguson, and Jerry Jackson -- had set a new Standard 1320 A/FD record of 7.53 at Lions, so the 8.20 was quite a disappointment, but was the body too good? According to Mooneyham’s wife, Dorothy, “The front grabbed the ground like a vacuum cleaner,” perhaps creating too much power-sapping downforce. The car is now in the Garlits museum.

15. rooman

rooman

My girlfriend took this photo of it at Bowling Green last weekend Tom. As usual I found time during the event to sit and chat with Raymond for a bit--a true gentleman. The period shot of the car looks as if it was shot at Indy during the Nationals.

Roo

[​IMG]

16. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This picture of Gene Altizer was taken at the 1963 Nationals where he won the A/G class. The fiberglass front end is Hill and Zartman equipment.

17. partsrivet

partsrivet

Tom, It looks to me like all of these views Muttley posted were from the 63 Nationals-that would be my guess anyway.

18. partsrivet

partsrivet

Another of Jimmy Johnson's shots that I could use some help IDing. Looks like this guys just got outrun by the car on the left. [​IMG]Pomona 2-1968
    6-24-2012 ID'd as Earl Binns by 296Ardun Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  19. partsrivet

partsrivet

Mr Norms blown Coronet makes a pass at Green Valley during the match bash of either 65 or 66. I don't think this car was part of the field as the rest of the cars were injected. [​IMG]

20. partsrivet

partsrivet

No idea who this modifed Vette is. This was at either the 66 or 67 Nationals. [​IMG] 6-26-2012 ID'd as Dave Stricklers Old Reliable by Fuel Roadster and Desert Express. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  21. partsrivet

partsrivet

Clester Andrews from Orange TX ran this Holman and Moody Mustang in 1967. This was at the Div 4 points race at Opelousas LA that year. For a Texas car, we didn't see it much, unlike Gene Snow and Kelly Chadwick. Note the 'mobile' tower in the background-another Pel State quirk. [​IMG]

22. The white Corvette is Dave Strickler--The Old Reliable

23. Conder

Conder

Could it have been the car and body were new when Pete drove? The slicks on the car in the crash pic are 64 era thumbprints. The "Jungle Four" according to you came later. Pete had an album of photos, I'm sure he was talking about this car. Are both stories true?

24. partsrivet

partsrivet

More gasser time trials action from the 66 Nationals. The Willys was the AA/G of Jack Merkel from Queens NY and in the near lane is Ferd Napfel's Storming Bull. Given the great action and the beautiful weather, I dearly wish I'd shot more this day. Oh well, better this than nothing. [​IMG]

25. 296ardun

296ardun

I can barely read the writing on the nose, but it looks like "Earl Binns." If so, he was the "fuel'n farmer" from Winterset, Iowa, ran fuel cars for years on a limited budget, sometimes journeyed to the west to run races like the Winternationals...

26. Tedly

Tedly
    from PA

The 32 roadster on the far side is driven by George Weiler of Birdsboro PA owner was Scott Reider, who owns an automotive machine shop in the Reading PA area and still owns the car, but it is back on the street but hasn't been driven in about 20 years or more, they won the Eliminator that year if I'm not mistaken

27. Good eye on Earl Binns,,,,he raced at OCIR a few times as well

28. biscaynes

biscaynes

great shot!
    storim bull had won indy the year before.

29. bigolds

bigolds

This car was also at Bowling Green last weekend!!!

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.