Register now to get rid of these ads!

setting sbf into my sedan...help on location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8tudor, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Definitely not a 351 Cleveland. Check the aluminium timing cover between block and water pump. I dont believe it is a 351 Windsor either as the deck height on those extends an inch higher than the standard Windsor block . The deck on the 351W sits a good deal higher than the engine mount bosses cast into the block. The engine of the poster is not one of these, the deck and the bosses merge very close together, therefore a regular 289/302 block.

2. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

You know, you're both right and wrong. They are the same concepts, just because it is a hot rod doesn't mean magical rules apply. I would suggest buying the book "Chassis Engineering" and studying it in depth. Hot rod or sportscar, the same rules apply to making it handle well.

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You have a lot to learn.

4. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

I don't think so, when it applies to automotive handling that is.

5. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Feel free to expound and enlighten us. We're all here to learn.

7. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

Shit, you're right. That must be why all spectacular handling sportscars usually sit way up in the air, with the engine as high as possible. And to think, that redneck with the lifted up Porsche was really on to something...

8. metalix_421

metalix_421

Well back to his questions.....
    If it were mine.
    I would mount the engine 3-5 degrees front up.
    It will also give you more room in the cab with less of a tunnel and your carb will be pretty flat. A little more or less should be ok as well because after all not all roads are flat.
    I would also run electric fan because at a stop light in 100 degrees it will/ should still push/ pull enough air to keep cool.
    I don't know IT ALL but have done this before in a couple cars and it's how I'm doing my 472 caddy right now.

9. Best to sit your intake manifold on the motor and then sit your level on top of that.The manifold has the carb flange lower at the front to compensate for the incline of the block. Do that and you should be in the ball park.

10. Well I am a 90% I suppose but I still understood some of Don's little words. Its the words longer than 3 letters that always get me.

What I am having trouble understanding is what track you were on running your A sedan against a gulwing mercedes.:confused:

11. mfp-66

mfp-66

here's my engine position. 3" recessed firewall and using a T5 box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i had to make an elbow to get the bottom hose to work, i couldn't lower it due to other things then wouldn't fit
    [​IMG]

12. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks for all the info guys!! as for the special water pumps and waiting on ups for parts i thought if i went with the ford racing short pump kit ( http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=2079 ) this uses they say the pump off of a 94-95 mustang gt. so i didnt figure that would be to hard to find and it would put the outlet on the right side for my rad. As for the motor height this is not going to be an autocross car by any means but i dont want to drive it around corners on two wheels so i think i am going to try to keep it low but not to low so i figure i will have to get the oil pan i am going to run. i am hoping to make my motor mounts and use a biscuit style rubber mount. to answer the one question its a 302 not a 351 i think the valve covers came from a 351 so they might seem a little tall. I am for sure adding this thread to my subscriptions.