Register now to get rid of these ads!

Way kustom steering wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Buzznut. I was pretty frustrated trying to get all the cracks out of mine and had the same trouble you're having. Even though it feels like you're going backwards, I recommend the you open up the crack again by v-notching it and going wider than the original vee. I used a small Sears file that is shaped like a small triangular shaft, although a Dremel would also work. Once I re-veed the crack, I drilled a series of small holes all along both faces of the vee on both sides. Doing so gave the bond more surface area do grab onto. I used JB Weld Marine epoxy and once it was completely dry (24 hours) I used a series of sandpapers to knock it down. I took my time with it, didn't rush and now every single crack is completely gone. It was more work, but it really looks nice and by doing a final wet sanding with 400, then 600-grit, the wheel is now smoother than a baby's ass. I thought it was going to be a lot easier, but refused to give up and went after each crack. The transitions are now perfectly seamless. I too, felt like I was going backwards but I'm glad I did. Don't rush it. It's not a sprint. It's a marathon. Good luck and don't give up.

thing to

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. One more tip. Wear rubber gloves when sanding because the oils from your finger tips can get into the boding agent and/or palstic which can corrupts the plastic. And make sure and wipe the wheel down real well with mineral spirits before priming it.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Keep up the great work slime! I can't wait to see what you've done with the wheels.

4. user16522_pic1044_1215487933.jpg

stearingcolumn.jpg

frontinteriorwheel.jpg

user16522_pic43792_1232930293.jpg

seatdetail.jpg

Dog Dish. I don't know if you've ever seen the House O' speed tiki truck, but the second wheel, the 1962 Chevy, is being sent to Cindy CRASH! Raschke in Austin. I ultimately painted the wheel a basecoat beige color and I'm going to have her paint it with a bamboo motif. Then I'm going to replace the '63 Caddy wheel that is presently in it with your wheel. Happy Memorial Day!

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Nice! Thats gonna be killer maing! I'm getting ready to chop up a caddy wheel like that tomorrow for someone on here. should be pretty cool. I'm waiting for parts to get my truck going so I'm going to make a few wheels this week. Stay tuned.

6. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

A little O/T for this thread. But I need to part with a coupe of my "stock" wheels. I'm accumulating too many of them. $50 for the '62 Impala and $100 for the '63 with the Bel Air horn ring. I also have the Impala horn ring for the '63 wheel.

Attached Files:

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Maybe not "WAY" kustom, but kustom none the less. Just finished this one.

Attached Files:

8. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I've got some more chopped wheels in the pipeline but heres one I did the other day. It's a '57 Buick wheel that I adapted to fit Chevy column splines. It's in my Chevy right now.

Attached Files:

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Thats awesome man! Looks great. I just chopped up like 18 wheels the other day so I should have some new various designs to post up pretty soon.

10. DogDish,
    I can't wait to see the new batch. Any like the first one I got from you? I really dig that style. My second wheel is with my pal CRASH! in Austin getting a bamboo paintjob.

11. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Yes and no, I have a couple made up that are pretty similar to that one but not the exact same. I have a couple almost done right now but I'm out of AA batteries so I can't take any pics right now.

12. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Heres a couple that are in primer right now. The Cadillac wheel was a real PITA but it's finally done other than some paint, it's already spoken for but the other wheel isnt yet. The second wheel is a '60 Pontiac wheel with a Merc horn button. It fits Chevy steering columns.

Attached Files:

13. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Trying to get better pics of this wheel, my camera sucks at detail shots though. I'm digging it so far, kicking around the idea of painting some lace panels on it in black and white.

Attached Files:

14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Dude! LOVING it! Like I said before, if you ever do a wheel the size of a school bus wheel so that I can turn the '53 without power steering, lemme know! LOL. Awesome work bro, always impressed.

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I do have a '53 Wheel that's freakin HUGE, (the one We were talking about) havent decided if I'm going to cut it up yet or not.

16. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Making a custom wheel out of something that HUGE would be tough. I don't doubt for a minute that you could do it, but man... it would take a bucket of epoxy. lol

17. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I have about 14 oz. of it left. muahahahahah! (maniacal laughter)

18. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

If your stuff wasn't wicked-cool, you would scare me dude... Lol

I want to see a wheel like the inverts you make, but with a spike erupting from each corner. Maybe done in chrome or something. Something evil looking. :D

19. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Actually, I scare a lot of people. To some, the fact that I make weird shit only makes it worse. I've considered doing a wheel like that actually with spikes and crazy shit on it. The only thing I was worried about is that If I sold it so somebody that they might end up doing something stupid and getting hurt, I might be crazy but I'm not evil. :cool:

20. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Hi Dog Dish...Lot of people digging my wheel this week end at Indy...Like to see the one with spikes...Might match my hubcaps???????

21. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Looks like lethal is going to be the new Kustom, roses, thorns, spikes, bones, gears, this is getting good. I've been brainstorming on new crazy stuff to do to wheels.

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Snifff... snifff... I smell sulfur. Has someone perhaps lit a match? ;)
    Remember... Hush hush, brother.

23. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Making another one like this if anybody is interested.

Attached Files:

24. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

You let your wife drive your '57?!? Man... you ARE crazy! I might let mine sit in the '53 and make vroom vroom sounds while she turns the wheel back and forth like they do in driving scenes in the movies, but I'm pretty sure the first time she actually DRIVES it she'll find a way to fuck it up. BUT, it will be her car when it's done, so I'm hoping I'm wrong. Any more wicked-cool ideas since the last time we chatted? Roses and bones, amigo. Roses and bones...

(And wait til you see what I've come up with for a shifter! EPIC!)

25. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Guess I'll sell this one. I need money for parts. $150 is enough if you want it.

Attached Files:

26. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Heres the latest two. Finally got a chance to get them sanded out and put in primer. I took the finger grips off of the top and bottom of the '58-'60 wheel and took them off all the way around on the '61 wheel. Makes them "flow" better and they feel awesome in the hand.

Attached Files:

27. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Hey man! Glad to see you back at it! Been saving horn buttons for you every time I go out. Got a Ford, couple of Chevy, etc.

28. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Awesome! If you find any like the first one for sure. I need as many of those as I can get, they are my favorite. The one I just posted is for TRIAMP for his '57 Chevy wagon. Not sure whats going on with the other one yet but I really like it without the finger grips. :cool:

29. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Did you end up buying that button I told you about a few weeks ago? I think it sold pretty inexpensively. Less than what I would have paid for it anyway. That was a cool horn button.