Register now to get rid of these ads!

Voltage regulator on 6 volt gauges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jun 19, 2012.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

So I FINALLY found a restored set of stock gauges for my '54 (car) and the seller's throwing in a voltage regulator as a gift. My car's 12 volt with autometer gauges in it now. When I put the restored 6 volt ones in, do I only need the regulator on the fuel gauge? Thanks!

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

yup... and 12v bulbs

3. flattynut

flattynut
    from ca

Search for Runtz here on the HAMB. I guess they're from Speedway. It probably uses an NTE1962 IC
    A 6V generator regulator won't work.

4. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks, he did say it was a voltage reducer...

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When I started in the 60s a resistor was used for the 6V gauges. (a voltage reducer) Recently I used a big logo SW 6V gauge to match my other big logo gauges. I got a runtz off of Ebay because I look for the best price. I'm a cheapskate. Some of the gauge voltage reducers were very expensive for me. Mine was 10 bucks, very easy to wire and works like a champ.

6. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I just got it in the mail. I've never seen a "voltage reducer" like the seller included. I'll have to put up some pics! In one of his eBay messages he said someone at NAPA or O'Reilly could tell me how it works... Uh-oh... :D

7. Rich Demo

Rich Demo
    from kentucky

For what it's worth, I had terrible luck with Runtz voltage reducers when I converted my 55 tbird to 12 volt. On the fuel gauge circuit it failed immediately, On the temp gauge it took about 20 min. Speedway replaced them, same results. Speedway refunded my money. Purchased a voltage reducer from Mac's, about 25 bucks, powers both gauges, works fine.

8. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

9. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

So... How the hell do I use this...?

Attached Files:

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

11. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Ok, care to expand a little on that? The seller included this thing, which appears to be a solid state regulator? Is this not the part I need?

12. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Nothing from anyone? Am I safe to run the amp. gauge as is?

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I can't tell you what that fits but it is probably a voltage regulator for a charging system.

[​IMG]

This is a VR for a gauge type application. referred to as a runtz. One wire gets 12 Vs and one wire is grounded. The third wire puts out a regulated 6V power supply. They are wired according to the instructions that come with it.

I expected someone to identify your VR or I would have added more information.

[​IMG]

This is also a VR but for a charging system and not for reducing voltage to a gauge. Yours appears to be a solid state unit similar to the last picture. It won't help you in your quest for using 6V gauges

Your ammeter doesn't care about voltage. If it's a positive ground system, then the wire must be reversed. An ammeter is merely a flow direction gauge. If it shows a charge with the key on and the engine off, then the direction needs to be reversed so that it shows that the battery is discharging with the key on and the engine off. It shows the flow of the current...either into the battery when charging or out of the battery when it is not charging.

Ok he sent you a voltage regulator for a Chrysler alternator. I thought it was Chrysler but I had to look it up.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012