Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glueing a 10/24 bolt to a metal panel, What epoxy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ozzie, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie

Hi folks, Long time no post.

I have a predicament only the wealth of experience on the Hamb will help with.

On the 23 T Roadster, I have hood sides and a hood.
    The hood sides had four 10/24 studs about 1" long welded to the metal hood side panel.
    I had attached the panels to the hood support brackets many times, wrenching on them tight with no problems while in the build.

Today while doing the final fitting, I was cutting the length down using a small cheap Craftsman Multi Tool. Well it looks like the super fast side to side movement from that tool was too much for the weld and broke 3 of the 4 studs off the metal panel.

I know, I should have stopped at the 2nd one...

So. My question is, without welding ( there is paint on the panel already )
    What Epoxy would some of you recommend for this stud to panel afixing?
    Would JB Weld ( original) be best or Winzer Universal panel Bonding, or others you may have used in the past?

I will clean up the spot on the panel well, rough it up, and can build up around the bolt glue spot about 1/8"

I'll use new 10/24 bolts of the right length and grind down the heads until it's just a 1/16" shoulder for a bigger surface area.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

If you have enough room depth wise, I would suggest taking a piece of 18 or 16 ga. about 1"x 3" and drill it for the 10/24 bolt. Grind down the head of the bolt and and weld the head on the back side of the strip. Then glue that piece to your panel. You will have a better chance of the glue holding that as opposed to holding just the bolt by itself. Neither of these is an ideal situation, but it might get you by. Fusor makes a good metal bonding glue but it's pretty pricey. Hope this helps.

3. Model T1

Model T1

Not a bad idea !:D

4. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i can't see the epoxy being a lasting fix on each head. how about a strip of metal 3/8''x1/8" with all four bolts threaded into it, then maybe epoxy the strip to the side panel. or would this make things to thick?

5. Model T1

Model T1

Looking at the enlarged photo this seems better for looks.

6. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

You might check and see if your local hardware store carries elevator bolts, they are used for as leveling legs for appliances should be avaible
    in a 10/24 and have a flat round head around 3/4" - 1" in diameter
    would give you more surface area to bond. I would think with JB weld you would be fine.

7. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I had some universal trim moulding clips that were about 1" wide, and about 3 1/2" long with a 10-24 stud attached in the center. I used one of them as an anchor for one of my rocker mouldings by gluing it to the backside of the moulding with JB Weld epoxy. So far, its been holding up just fine. I found the universal moulding clips on EBay.

8. deto

deto

Look up panel bonding epoxy

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Just did this last week for the side trim on my 37 Buick headlight buckets. The trim snaps on originally which means they fall off and get lost, I wanted them bolted on. I used JB weld to epoxy the 10/32 flat head counter sink style screws to the back of the stainless trim, bolted them on and tightened up with no issues.

10. Ozzie

Ozzie

Thanks for all the advice guys!!, Looks like I'll be able to do the strip of metal with the studs welded on and then ad hear the long strip to the top edge of the hood sides. I'll post results in a few days.

Also will go see some of the trim strips clips mentioned at a body shop supply store nearby to see how thick they are. Cause that may work well also..

Thanks again folks,
    Ozzie

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  11. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

looking at your side panel again,i noticed that maybe it's folded over on to it self on the top edge. is there room to slip a strip under it?

12. Ozzie

Ozzie

Hello folks, I took a bit from several of the tips on here. Found some trim tabs with the 10/32 bolts on there, sanded off the anti corrosion coating, sanded down the same size area on the panel, and bonded them to the panel using Fusor 112B. Super expensive I think but it did the job., now I just touch up the base of the tabs with some paint and I'm good.
    I clamped them for 8 hours, then let them sit for 3 days while I was working, then attached the sides and a week later, they're still on there and strong. I'll post some pics in a few weeks when the steering column is in and I can move the car around easier. Take care folks, thanks again for the great tips and advice.
    Ozzie