Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bondo Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I have a 56 Ford F100 which the previous owner started to "shave" pretty deep body lines with bondo. I would like to remove the bondo from these body lines this week and wondering what apparatus works best. If its a disk what type. Thanks guys.

2. Cirilian

Cirilian

Start by heating it with a propane torch, watch the heat as to avoid disfiguring the base metal. Take a scraper and go nuts as you're heating. This will get the bulk of it off then you can use a wire wheel or similar for the rest.

3. moparmike

moparmike
    from Austin, Tx

I always use a 4 1/2" 60 grit flap disk. And a dust mask and shop fan blowing across the work.
    Sometimes a stiff putty knife will peel it off if they didn't prep correctly.

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

these work great . last awhile also. took about 5 or 6 to do my whole car. really dig out the bondo,be prepared for dust alot of it. quick and cheap. i used the double thickness ones for about 8 dollars a piece.

Attached Files:

5. Those work great

6. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thanks guys, you saved me a bunch of time and aggravation!

7. swazzie

swazzie

For Christs sake, Wear a good ventilator!!!

8. msalamanca

msalamanca

This is a less messy, fast, and cost less then all the disk and sand paper used.

Doing lines of bondo dust doesnt do anything but give you colored buggers.

9. rld14

rld14

If it looks good just sell it to me, it'll crack and fall off within a week.

:D

What I am doing on one of my cars in my spare time is basically chipping it off with a chisel. Carefully. Generally someone who does a hack job like this rarely preps it right and the mud comes off pretty easily.

10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

ya i'm pretty sure that it wasnt prepped right, off it comes, better safe than sorry!

11. Bounder

Bounder

I'm afraid my car would fall apart if I tried to remove any bondo. Gonna find out this winter. New paint and interior.

12. davidbistolas

davidbistolas