Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose85

Jose85

Wehrmacht car from eBay, the front looks like 39 Chevy, but the body seems different to me-lot longer. :confused: Maybe some European coachbuilt?

Attached Files:

2. noboD

noboD

Jose, Dodge built what they called a 7 passenger sedan in that year, not sure if Chevrolet did. It had regular seating but also jump seats behind the front seat. That MAY be what this is.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I seen a 37 with that style of body so they must have made 7 pass sedans like Chrysler did,must not have made very many as I only seen them in pictures.

4. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Not uncommon to be able to retain YOUR number in the old days, Just had to pay it early.

5. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Painted OD for military, may be Fed issue only

6. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Illinois general issue plates from the mid-30's on were std "US" size. Illinois dealer plates into the 50's were the size and shape of those to his right. Plus the numbers on those plate are consistent with the way Illinois still numbers dealer plates to this day and his all have the same number. A dealer is assigned a number and all his plates bear that number with a letter suffix for each additional pair of plates after the intial set. It was possible to kep your plate number for regular plates but they weren't that shape. I live in Illinois and used to have quite a few IL plates from 1934 on. I still have a 1955 Dealer Plate and a friend has a nice collection of them.

7. ehdubya

ehdubya

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the comment here...

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_11418-Chevrolet-Imperial-JA-1939.html

although I wouldn't be surprised is they were built in small numbers in the US and elsewhere too.

8. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

IIRC Jayne Mansfield but she turned it down. Her career had slipped by then but she was probably still too big (yeah, yeah, OK, very funny) a name for an ensemble cast anyway.

9. customcory

customcory

Shes holding a birth control pill.lol!:D

10. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

11. That's cause I purposely blanked that part out of the IMDB quote about Dawn Wells. Didn't think it was proper to make it too easy when some were still scratching their collective heads on the question.

12. ehdubya

ehdubya

13. ehdubya

ehdubya

[​IMG]

I've not seen a soft drink tanker before, I wonder how much of the tank ended up in the fizz.

14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Probably bulk materials for production, like syrup maybe?

15. hoarder1

hoarder1

Not one to argue, especially since I wasn't alive when the last of his plates (1955 in his hand) was made, but this is a run of normal passenger plates, 1 for each year from 1912 to 1955 with the same number. I know they aren't dealer plates because in almost all of the years shown, Illinois had the word DEALER on their dealer plates. As has been suggested a couple of posts up, this man would have paid early and requested to maintain the same number. The plates are on a shorter base because they are only 4 digits, not 6 or 7 as in the higher numbers.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  16. hoarder1

hoarder1

17. hoarder1

hoarder1

[​IMG]

Lieutenant John J. Jaminet, (SC), USN, shows the novelty license plate which he designed and which has been manufactured by a Christchurch, New Zealand, advertising firm.

The plate combines various unique features of Antarctica and Operation DEEP FREEZE. The "SP" identifies the owner as a "resident" of the south polar land mass, the "90°" represents the latitude at the very bottom of the earth; the bird is, of course, the native Adelie penguin, and the slogan "The World's Last Frontier" represents the uniqueness of the last continent to undergo scientific exploration. Task Force 43, the Navy task force responsible for United States Antarctic operations, is represented to the right of "90°."

--from the Bulletin of the U. S. Antarctic Projects Officer (official U. S. Navy publication), volume V, No. 5, February 1964, p. 13.

18. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

USS Macon (ZRS-5). Flying over New York Harbor, circa Summer 1933. The southern end of Manhattan Island is visible in the lower left center.

[​IMG]

19. swi66

swi66

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Carsten, my close second on Conway was his superlative "It's Only Make Believe." What a voice, what a great song! These were DEFINITELY two "soundtrack songs" of the trad hotrod era. I'll bet they rattled a million auto radio speakers.

21. Church Key

Church Key

Rachel Welch

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

THANKS everybody who got into the "Gilligan" trivia! :D Yeah, since Tina Louise groused about not being placed central in the cast, Jayne surely wouldn't have been at home. It really was an ensemble, no one BIG star.

As for "Willy" Gilligan, the apparent history indicates that the Skipper only called him by his first name in the unaired PILOT which was used to sell the show. This has been unearthed in the Turner/UA vault and, apparently, can be accessed in some way, shape or form today. Myself, I thought the "Maynard Gilligan Krebbs" crack was a hoot! :p Amazing how much attention Dawn's tush got! LOL. You HAMB hounds, you! :cool: Jerry VanDyke gets the George Jessel Award for guessing the Gilligan series was a no-go; "My Mother, the Car" only lasted one season. Some times, I think people should just flip a coin on decisions, ya know? Instead of Bob Denver and Alan Hale clowning, we'd be watching reruns of Jerry and Alan as Gilligan and the Skipper, eh?

John, your background on Dawn Wells and the producer being the only ones to really make out financially in the long run was VERY illuminating, and I for one really appreciate history like that! THANKS! Special thanks to those who got into the spirit of the thing by taxing their OWN memories, before resorting to good old Google! "Jeopardy" wouldn't be the same if contestants had a "Google It" button, would it? :rolleyes:

Call it luck or FATE, Raquel Welch may well have had a blessing-in-disguise in being turned down for the Mary Ann part. Soon, she donned a rabbit-skin bikini and played a cavegirl, on her springboard to superstardom. No doubt, she'd have been noticed on "Gilligan," but a door to superstardom? I doubt it.

[​IMG]

Ah, the price of stardom! Raquel was pursued by all manner
    of prehistoric fauna on her way to the top! Pic by SuperStock,
    below by VirtualHistory.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

As Loana of the Shell People, Raquel made her entrance in "One Million
    Years B.C." looking just as stunning as did Ursula Andress emerging from
    the surf in "Thunderball." I refer to two of the biggest hits of '66 and '65,
    respectively. "B.C." was a surprise blockbuster for Hammer Studios and
    for distributor 20th Century Fox and elevated Welch to movie-queen status
    overnight. Above photo thanks to CryptoMundo.

[​IMG]
    Photo thanks to FanPix.

[​IMG]

Photo thanks to FineArtAmerica. For my money, the three most beautiful females of the '60s
    were Andress, Ann-Margret and Welch.:cool:

24. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

You're right, I'm wrong.

25. biscaynes

biscaynes

jimi, ursula andress emerged from the surf :p in 'dr no' ;)

thunderball had claudine auger on the beach with 007
    1st runner up in miss world 1958

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

OOPS! Thanks for the catch, Biscaynes! It was Claudine Auger in "Thunderball," isn't that correct?

But, I'll still with my three picks for most beautiful, dyanmic female stars of the '60s. Love to hear any other picks. ALSO, for the 1950s! (Three only, per decade, just to keep it simple.)

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Photoplay, August 1961

[​IMG]

Rising U.S. stars Tesday Weld and Anthony Perkins
    on the British movie 'zine Picturegoer, April 9, 1960.

[​IMG]

TV/Radio Mirror, November 1959. With Elvis
    off in the army, R&R fans could satisfy their
    craving with the likes of red-hot Ricky Nelson,
    Fabian, Frankie Avalon and a host of other
    teen idol hunks.

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

"The Egg and I" was, in a number of respects, a surprise hit movie of 1947. Maybe, in part, it helped fill the public's need for light-heartedness pursuant to a pretty awful war and time of hard work and "making do." The cashbox comedy put Universal Studios -- whose successful string of moneymaking horror flicks had run dry -- back on sound footing and proved Universal could compete in other genres. The presence of proven stars Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray didn't hurt a whit, and the surprise Oscar nomination of veteran actress Marjorie Main as "Ma" Kettle launched an entire series of Ma & Pa Kettle flicks in the early '50s and cemented Universal's salvation.

Viewed in retrospect, the movies are quaint and fun.:p Viewed through the present-day revisionist glasses of political correctness, surely, they're full of potentially offensive stereotypes of ag-based American poor and native Americans. Hey, but I'm not into PC, so screw that.:D Taken in the context of their time, "The Egg and I" and the subsequent "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies were good, clean escapist fun.

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These comical original NSS promo stills for Ma & Pa Kettle flicks are actually available on eBay, reasonably priced. Most vendors offer copies nowadays, so good collector stuff has gotten tougher to find.

30. Raquel was a product of San Diego .... she told me that on our first date! (tongue-in-cheek)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.