Register now to get rid of these ads!

North Carolina Junk Yards with HAMB friendly tin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick's Beaters, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

I did a search in the NC HAMBers Social Group and the main forum and didn't see anything listed, but if this thread has already been posted forgive the repost.

The idea for this thread is recent, brought about by events that occurred during a visit to Emerald Isle, NC. While driving down the highway in Emerald Isle, enjoying the scenery, I opened the vent window on my 1961 Comet to watch it disappear in my rearview window as the wind snatched it from my unsuspecting hand. I wasn't expecting it to fly away since it had driven with me from Fayetteville wide open and in good order, so I thought. When I turned around to pick it up, the inevitable happened, not just one but two cars proceeded to crush the glass under their wheels. The glass and frame didn't seem like they were even in the oncoming path of the vehicles, which makes me believe that the residents of the little town were telling me to beat it with my old car, you're not welcome here. The vehicles that sent the vent window to vintage heaven were high dollar foreign jobs that could only belong to some snooty nouveau riche snob wishing to exile me and my car from their manicured island paradise. Or maybe they didn't see it in the road. Anyways, after it was smashed to bits, I didn't bother picking it up because I had a lead on more parts. No less than three yards nearby where I could pick up a slightly used vent window for chicken scratch. I pulled five of them and kept two.

Not all of the junk yards here carry vintage stuff, but some do. I'll only list the ones I know that have had pre 64 cars in the yard. I'll leave a brief description next to the name of the yard and a brief "description" of the address. Please feel free to add to the list if you want.

In no particular order:

Tart's Salvage:
    Extremely cheap, I payed $25.00 for a pair of GT-40 heads. The older stuff is in the back yard and he will sell entire cars that you can haul away. Crushes some times, but feeds the crusher with mostly new stuff. Mr. Tart is great, friendly and loves old cars.
    He's located off I95 by Dunn.

Bishop's Towing:
    Extremely expensive, well maybe not extremely, but not cheap at all. I've seen model T rears and A frames in this yard. Holley 94s in a bus and 50 ford steering wheels without cracks. Stuff is everywhere and he will usually ask you for what you want rather than let you wander around the yard. You may have to talk to him a little to get into the yard but it can be done. I've seen nailheads, flatheads and one Old's rocket engine.
    He's in Fayetteville by the Soffee plant, the T-shirt place.

McCloud's Auto Crushing:
    Mostly late model stuff, but an occasional jewel. Engines $150, Transmissions $125 with a 30 day warrenty, without transmissions are $75. I've seen nailheads and flatheads and one Hemi minus the heads go through the yard. Usually has a T5 laying around and next week I'll pull a toploader 4 speed. Hit and Miss. DO NOT HAGEL over prices. If something is $10 and you say $5 they'll come back with $15 and mean it. I've seen guys get bounced from the yard. And they carry pistols. May scare off some but they're down to earth.
    McClouds is in between Fayetteville and Sanford, closer to Sanford on Milton Welch Rd.

Runions Recycling:
    Seperates the older stuff from the rest. The rest is seperated by manufacturer. At one time this place had everything. 64 Riv next to 46 ford with 50 other older cars to look at kinda action. They have just reopened after being bought out and now bought back by the original owner. They are building up their inventory and prices are resonable. $2 to walk the yard unless you have a military ID, then it's free! They have what they call $20 days periodically where you pay 20 bucks and anything you can phisically carry across the scale is yours.
    They're outside Autryville

Richard's Auto Salvage:
    I haven't been to this one in a few years but I hear he is still around. Anyway he has a web site, just google Richard's auto salvage NC and it'll probably show up. The yard was filled with antique autos, mostly picked apart already, but he did have complete cars for sale and a small warehouse (large garage) with various parts. I think he's open until noon on Saturday's and by appointment the rest of the time.
    He's in Denton

I hope this will help some of you with your projects, feel free to post some of the yards close to you. If I come across more I'll update.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Bump for the lunch break crew

3. kingpins

kingpins

im outside of raleigh and vintage tin in the junk yards around here are a thing of the past it seems. mostly youll have to go to someones own personal stash to see and buy things in my corner. there is a huge crew around you that hangs out at TBC chassis works in fayetteville. those dudes maybe could help you out with finding old stuff.

4. Dick,

Thanks for the info- my father-in-law is in Sanford and this gives me a reason to throw the toolbag in on the next visit!!!

What are McCloud's T5 prices like?

5. I heard there is a yard near Siler City that has a lot of old Willys parts.

6. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Mac, All transmissions are $75.00 without a 30 day warrenty, with a warrenty it's $125.00. It's closer to Sanford than Fayetteville, was in that yard yesterday, hot as hell, and saw at least one S-10 T5 but then again I wasn't looking too hard because the I wanted to get in and out.

7. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

There was Richards in Denton but last time I was there he had really cleared a lot out.

8. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Yep, I know some of those Road Devils. I didn't bother listing the personal stashs that I know about because those guys are private citizens and wouldn't appreciate their "gold mines" being outed. One of em I pulled 8 good finned Buick Drums from for a steal.

I posted this to share with others in NC after reading a couple of posts about people that were searching for junk yards in their states with old iron. I took me a few years to find the ones I know about and I don't have a parts problem. As I said in the above story, when I lost the part off my Comet I didn't sweat it because I knew where to get another part for cheap. I just wanted to share these finds and hope that others share if they find somewhere else.

9. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

I've wanted to get back to Richard's Auto Salvage for a while now. The last time I was there he was selling the place. I guess he's decided to hold on to it? I forgot about that one when I wrote this. I'll update it.

10. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Well its been over a year since I went, but man there wasnt much left. He is always saying he's selling but this time I think he really is.

11. I went to Richards two months ago and the "for sale" sign is still up. He does have a few relics around. Ive found a lot of parts at Ray White's in Germington. They have a lil bit of everything up there.

12. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I'm originally from Sanford, my dad and I use to go to McClouds all the time. Sometimes he will get some good stuff. I haven't been there in a long time may need to take a trip down there soon.

As for Richards in Denton, maybe 7-8 years ago that place was awesome just to walk through, it seemed like he had just about every make and model pre 80s stuff. I lived not even two miles from him when I was in school in Asheboro. The for sale sign was there at that point in time he was open everyday 8-5pm Monday through Saturday. I think he is open only one Saturday a month.

13. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Foss Auto Recycling in Jacksonville, NC has a U-Pull-It section and they seperate the Vintage Tin from the rest of the stock. The yard is about 1.5 blocks from my house and I visit every Saturday to see whats new. I typically post in the NC Social Group when any early iron is brought in. What I like about Foss is a motor is a motor (be it 1.1L Yugo or 429 Cobra Jet) and the price is the same, $164 with without warranty & $184 with warranty. That type of pricing goes for everything in the yard. Some lucky duck beat me to set of 45 fin buick drums for $13 a piece. Foss hands out a price list so you know what you're going to pay ahead of time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

What ever happened to the yard outside Kinston near the drag strip? Although it was a couple years ago IIRC the old man that owned it wasn't real friendly. Last I heard someone took it over.

15. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

I'm not familiar with yard outside Kinston. Although, I see a constant advertisment on early iron for sale in the Carolina Bargain Trader from someone in Kinston. Perhaps it's the new owner of the yard. On the way to Kinston on Hwy 258 between Richlands & Kinston there was a place on the left (had a lot of old Army Jeeps in the front) owned by an old friendly fellow named Woodrow (could also be part of the business name) that had a good selection of iron.

16. That yard in Kinston was under about 6 feet of water in 1999 thanks to Floyd and Fran! I was in there 10 years ago, and the people in charge (or acted like they were in charge) pretty much had a "not for sale" attitude. It's on HWY 11 south about 2-3 miles past HWY 70 Bypass, headed south, it's on the left!

Kreepea, I've seen that guys yard between Kinston & Richlands! Always wanted to stop and look around, but I'm usually pressed for time.

17. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Woodrow, was a nice guy. When I was building my '47 Chevy he let me go in the back and get what I needed from his cars.

Brett, I remember awhile back you were looking for '46 Chevy truck parts. Have you seen that '46 Chevy Pick up (and '52/53 Chevy Wrecker) a little farther up Hwy 258 from Woodrow's on the right? I talked to the guy who owns them and they are for sale.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  18. frank spittle

frank spittle

One North Carolina jewel is the late great drag racer Billy West's Mopar salvage yard in Selma just off I-95. His wife Jackie is helped by family members and still offers practically anything for '60s Mopars in their manicured yard. The place is worth a trip even if you don't need anything.

19. Yep, Ray Whites has (or at least had) a lot of mid-century iron. Rows of Edsels, Chevy, (but someone has long since made off with the nailheads, those bastards!) and more. Also had a few A-D trucks and one half buried mid 30's truck. Haven't been lately though.

20. Kreepea

I stopped to look at that 46 a while back. The beltline is rusted fairly bad around the back of the cab, and the doors are worse than mine, so I left it sitting.

OTOH, I have recently picked up a 30 Model A Tudor. I still have the truck and have to get it running first (promised the best half) then it's "banger rod" tudor time!

21. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Thats it, Used to go by that place all the time when I lived there. I'll bet the salt water has toasted most of that stuff by now.

22. Faus

Faus

Richards is still going strong.... He has a few up top, but I walked down the hill and there was still a bunch of stuff in the brush.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. guzzidude

guzzidude

I just joined the HAMB after many years. I am glad to have found this thread about junk yards. I have a 47 aero that needs some trim and stuff. WIll have to make some rounds. Anyone notice in aeros around? Thanks. I'm in Surf City.

Matt

24. Faus

Faus

Well went to Richards today to pick up some parts that Richard himself agreed to as far as price. Walked in and grabbed the parts, and walked up with cash in hand. He looked at me and said "What's that?" I replied "The $60 you and I agreed upon for the parts." He then said "That'll be $180 for all the parts." I said "We agreed to $60 and shook on it." He replied "I don't care what we agreed on, I want $180 because I can get that online." I set the parts down and walked away and said "Good luck! You'll need it!" Don't think I'll go back.

25. guzzidude

guzzidude

Well, that sucks. I was gonna take a ride up there, but , my kid got sick. Will have to go soon though even though he's been watching ebay and american pickers.

26. ebfabman

ebfabman

Care to share with us what those parts were?

27. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Richards is known for telling one price then when you come to pick it up, its double the price. Thats why I will not deal with him and he says he has the parts you need when he doesn't. Mainly deal with Whites in Germanton.

28. Faus

Faus

Parts were hubcaps, stainless trim, and some other parts for mid-sixties fords, and some studebaker parts.

29. Richard's auto salvage
    We stopped in sat. on a trip to pick up a car near by. He gave us the 2.00 tour through his buildings, seemed nice. His prices were internet related. Cars were pretty boned out but seen some treasures.

30. Faus

Faus

All I know is I will never go back. I'd rather get bit by the copper head snakes that are all over that place.