Register now to get rid of these ads!

Budget Air Conditioning?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Jun 23, 2012.

1. daddio211

daddio211

I know too damned well when something looks too good to be true it always is. So why the hell am I asking this? Because a Facebook group I'm on has two members who state this is a good kit and works well.

The guy has 500+ sales with 100% positive feedback (I know it can be skewed) but what the heck is this missing besides the compressor bracket? http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-100-UNDER...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4167466ffb&vxp=mtr

I'm a firm believer in "you get what you paid for" and I'm no AC expert, so I'm highboy skeptical. Thoughts? Ideas?

2. daddio211

daddio211

Oh, and he apparently will give you a better price if you just ask... One guy said his was $375.

3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I am ASE certified in A/C and from what I see is a god deal but looks real generic the parts are more than likely Chinese (but what isn't) Only question is who's compressor is it? like cars them selves their are good and bad ones. Also most people don't put more than a few 1000 on their hot rods so it will take awhile to hear complaints i bet. but for the most part this would work fine just uglier than shit.

4. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Looks legit and God knows you need it in Dixie, brotha.

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Budget Air Conditioning? I run a 2-70 system in my car.
    Two windows down, and go seventy MPH.

6. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I have the 4-60 model.

7. I like my spray bottle @ 80 mph in my roadster!

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I just had that same system put in my '52 Chevy. I've had it for 4 or 5 months. I've only used it a couple of times and it works great. Installed, it cost me $1700. Funny thing, the shop that installed it was named "Budget Mobile Air", all he does is car a/c.
    DSC02334.jpg

9. daddio211

daddio211

My dash is deep enough I think I can hide most of the ugly. Thanks for the thoughts.

You can do that in Reno, but here its like Las Vegas or Phoenix minus 5 degrees. It's been over 100 every day for the past two weeks and looks like it will be for another week or so.

That's a lot if install $$$$, how long did it take him?

No kidding man, I worked in the garage all day yesterday. I must have drank 2 gallons of water.

But in the desert (as you know all too well) we have to carry spray bottles in 55 gallon quantities! How was LARS?

10. Lars was GREAT as usual, but the REAL FUN was the 3000 miles
    gettin there and back

Attached Files:

11. daddio211

daddio211

Bitchin man! A few more years and I'll be grey enough to join the Greybeard Tour again!

12. n847

n847

A buddy of mine had an OT 80's chevy pick up with the same kit in it, damn thing would get cold enough to run you out! I bet if you put it under the dash enough you could run a couple coregated hoses to where ever you want them!

13. Eric, With all them kids, it amazing yer not as grey as us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ;):D:eek::cool:

14. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like less of a hassle than finding an old underdash ac unit and getting it installed and working. I've done a few of them that way...but it seems the results are ok but not spectacular. I don't have air in any of my old rides now, but then it doesn't really get hot here, it's only been 100 the past few weeks. And the rains are starting.

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It too 3 days to install. The original quote was $2000.

16. snaptwo

snaptwo

That's a pretty good deal , I priced a VA Mark 4 knockoff evap. unit for my '56 210 townsman , it was 3 large. No pump,lines,dryer or condensor, just the head.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Looks like AC kits we used to get from Sears back in the 70s. They were around $200 then.

18. derbydad276

derbydad276

I have a 302 for bracket that will mount that compressor...hmmmmmmmm

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I bought a similar kit from a guy on the hamb.

Most all A/C stuff is just china pieces anyway.

My kit had some fancy compressor bracket, can't remember the name but a real nice piece that was unchromed.

Gotta cut the hoses and pay to get them crimped, get a vacuum on the system and charge it. I paid $5 or $10/crimp. Locally they want $200 ish to vacuum and charge the system. I bought my own vacuum and i think smoked the compressor one way or the other so I haven't touched it in a year or so. maybe I'll go kick it around the shop today :D

20. That looks like a good deal. The components look similar to what I put in my '49 Cad. You could strip the parts out of the butt ugly dash unit and install them more like a factory unit. On mine I put the evaporator into the heater housing and used a Suburban control and concealed it. That dash unit looks as out of place on an old car as a floor console!
    For me an A/C is a must. The heat makes me sick. Even if it didn't, it is nice to be comfortable.
    The compressor brackets are not that difficult to build, no worse than an alternator bracket.

~Alden

21. yruhot

yruhot

I've done two of the a/c kits. One on my 56 chevy sedan and one on my 57 chevy truck. Sedan had cable controls and truck had the new electronic controls. Both worked nice and looked pretty much like you see in the kits. Had to buy compressor bracket and got one from I think its alden brackets something like that and it worked great. This kit looks like it has the standard Sanden rotary compressor. Just make sure the compressor has refrigerant oil is it when you fire it up. If not it's a bad thing. If these guys are getting $200.00 to vacum and charge I'm charging way to little. Had local shop crimp hoses. laid out configuration and added masking tape and an index line so I knew which way I wanted them to point. Worked great. So nice to crank down the air temps in the cab. Got to watch it with shorts though. major shrinkage.lol.YRUHOT............Doug

22. Is that a/c only no heat ?

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It says underdash heat and cool!

24. upspirate

upspirate

Most of those he has for sale look like wide condensers.....wonder if he has tall narrow ones like for an early rad in a '32

25. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

26. THE ONE I SAW THERE ON THE EBAY LINK WAS =less= COMPRESSOR and BRACKET....NOT A GOOD DEAL AT ALL THAT WAY....

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You have reading comprehension problems.;) It says less compressor bracket. It comes with a compressor but not a mounting bracket.

28. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You can mount that condenser either way.

29. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

The place I got my hoses crimped charged around 3k for a setup in a tbird. I'm sure it was a nice vintage air. well I guess it was anyway.

I bought my own vacuum in case my hoses leaked or something I wouldn't be out $200+

I broke out the gear today but I will try again tomorrow when I have more time. I want to vacuum the system way down.

30. upspirate

upspirate

I was told that the tubes need to run side to side,if run top to bottom, the oil can pool in the bottom loops and impede the flow of refrigerant.