Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tom Daniel fans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotweel, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Hotweel

Hotweel

The Red Baron, Bad Man, T'Rantula, Beer wagon...Any Tom Daniel fans out there? TD designed over 75 model kits for Monogram in the late 1960s and early 1970s, which ones did you build? Give Tom a shout out at his website www.tomdaniel.com and wish him a happy father's day!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I had the Red Baron. Man, I loved that car!

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i still have a red barron on a shelf in my room , very cool ride in a unique way

4. onedge

onedge

Yes me too! Just neat and cool stuff when I was a kid and still is to me.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

One of my favs from back in the day. Man, I loved this kit. See, even when I was 10, and my buds were building show-rod kits, I still dug sixties style T buckets...:D

Attached Files:

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

brother of Jack? :rolleyes:

7. edweird

edweird

his website is cool. brings back good memories. thanks for the info.

8. i loved/love the california street vette i have like 6 of them (it is the reason i love 68-73 vettes) and the quicksilver(bad actor) ive got @8 i have 4 of the yellow hatchback vettes (parts for the cali vettes)
    i have a red issue poison pinto i have 2 paddy wagons and 1 trantula

and i probably built 100 or more badman 55 chevys

so yeah i guess i like tom daniels designs alittle bit

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I built all the TD model cars and I also had the ones made by Hot Wheel but they are all long gone now however about 5 years ago I bought a large scale model of the Red Baron and it's on the shelf in my garage.

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

big time fan. just a small group of men messed up alot of kids minds with their designs.

11. Gator

Gator

Still looking for another one of these:

[​IMG]

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I remember going on a field trip to Cars of the Stars in Buena Park when I was in 4 grade in 1974 and buying the Quicksilver model in the gift shop and I couldn't wait to get home and open it.

13. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Built many of them when I was a kid in the 70s.

14. I built many too, back in the days as a kid shoveling snow off driveways and blowing the pay on models. My favorites was Cherry Bomb and Bad Medicine.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I really liked the California Corvette too. It was a model of his real 1-1 driver, and fairly tasteful in a sea of, for the most part, hideous customized vettes in the seventies.

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Me too.

Tijuana Taxi - and in particular the box art - was the design that first got me into hot rods. I was seven years old when I saw it in the window of a toy shop in Rome, of all places.

[​IMG]

Graphic courtesy of Dave's Show Rod Rally, where I haven't visited for too long.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

^^^^that was my first model kit as a kid..I was 8 and made it at my grandparents kitchen table......What a mess..ha ha ha

19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I've built Paddy Wagon but gave it away. I've got Beer Wagon, Pie Wagon, Hangman, and Fire Iron unbuilt in opened boxes. I have an old Dune Rat that I got sloppily assembled and missing a few parts.

I've always dug Popper Chopper but could never see one on a shelf. I'd be a lot happier with one in the garage.

And now with the re-issue I can finally afford a Rommel's Rod.

20. Hotweel

Hotweel

Tom Daniel made a huge impact on me as a kid, loved the art work on the boxes and the kits were easy to build. I've been a friend of TDs for over 20 years and produced the video "Tom Daniel, the man behind the models" Besides my Nova gasser drawing he did for me, he also did the home page illustration which I had embellished for my self indulgent website www.Philsdrive-in.com Tom still owns his California Street Vette and calls Utah his home these days. He's still doing new designs for Mattel as well as other automotive projects including fine art. P.S. Tom wanted me to say "Hi" and to let you guys know that Bad Man, Bad Medicine and Vandal are all being re-issued, for more info check out Tom's site www.Tomdaniel.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  21. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

In 1972 I was working at the Shop in The Valley, that Kustomized "The Street Vette" for Tom. I had the HONOR of helping to do some minor touch-up on the Vette, as Tom brought the car by the shop on a regular basis to keep it in top shape. Another well known Rod, "The Big T" was also being stored there, and I would get in the trailer and climb behind the wheel of this KOOL KAR Quite often. Sadly this car disappeared, never to be found. A replica has since been built. Tom is a true car guy, and will personally answer his E-mails and chat about the "Ole Days", Cruising "The Valley".

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  22. beauishere

beauishere

Thanks for all the info guys. I grew up with these models as a kid in the sixties but I never once stopped to ponder who was thinking them up. Very cool and nice to know he's still at it.

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I met Tom the first time that I worked for Mattel, around 1971. Very talented guy, doing the designs for the models, the names, the box art, and sometimes even the instruction sheets. I think he would also acknowledge Roger Harney, who ran the model shop at Monogram and interpreted Tom's designs into 3D very skillfully.

I've run into Tom a couple of times more recently, in the early 2000's, at the Hot Wheels conventions in SoCal. Very nice guy and very approachable.

24. biscaynes

biscaynes

had done a few model kits before this one, but the '55 badman has always stood out for me. great artwork on all his kits!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Hotweel

Hotweel

Re. In 1972 I was working at the Shop in The Valley, that Kustomized "The Street Vette" for Tom. In I had the HONOR of helping to do some minor touch-up on the Vette, as Tom brought the car by the shop on a regular basis to keep it in top shape.

When I finally got to meet Tom Daniel in '93, he lived in Las Vegas at the time. I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled up in front of his house and saw the Street 'Vette sitting under a car cover, the front custom nerf bumpers and rear louvers are so wicked. I've met a few of my child hood hot rod heroes over the years, but none cooler than TD.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012