Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Moe, could you post more images of the Badger's front suspension, either here on in your album, please? I'm always amazed how race car designers get parts to serve more than one purpose. In this case we have an upper A arm instead of 4 bars also mounted ICW the coil overs. I'd like to see more on the steering, too. No rush, Gary

2. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Doc, This is the first badger that Bob had. Although some of the “Greats” drove this car. Sad to say. I do not believe the great Rich Vogler was one of them.
    Ginchols, I posted A couple more photos of the front end in my album. Here is one that shows the steering A little better?

Attached Files:

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx for the addl pix, Moe. Gary

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That raises the question (at least to me): Why wasn't steel used - only in a thinner guage, say .032" - because it would have a much better fatigue life with minimal increase in weight, and be easier to weld with the relatively primitive welding techniques generally available at that time.

I know my dad fabbed a few tail sections for midgets from steel.

5. moe#69.....really great to see the progress on this car.....love it....

6. DocF

DocF

I believe you stated elsewhere that this car was run by Lockard in 1975-76. If that is the case, that would be the time frame that I saw Richie run a Badger for Lockard at Hartford, MI. I think this was a pickup ride, not a regular deal.

The history of Hartford Speedway is shaky to say the least. The plant was running automobile races in the 20s, but the records only go back as far as the current promoters have been associated with it.

Doc

7. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Doc, That is GREAT news!:eek: Rich is one of my favorite drivers. This is that car….. I have lots of info. & photographs signed buy some of the greats that have drove this car. I also have USAC records & track records that this car held. This car always never seizes to amaze me! Thanks for all the information & comments they are all very appreciated! Keep them coming.:)
    Thanks to every one, Moe

Attached Files:

8. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

I never throw anything out. Have a box full of these, from the "old" days. i thought they might awake some fond memories for some of you..:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Great stuff !!! please post some more....

10. DocF

DocF

I love this sort of stuff. It brings back memories of the days when racing was really fun.

Doc

11. DocF

DocF

I've meant to do this for a couple of days, but I kept forgetting. I first really met Rich Vogler when he was about 14. It was at Avilla, IN. He was hanging around the ticket office waiting to get in to the stands as he could not get a pit pass in those days at that age.

Anyway, I was hanging around waiting for J. C. Agajanian to show up. (He was in Chicago for a garbage collection convention.) I knew Aggie from being designated driver for a bunch of the roadster guys who hung around the White Front.

I saw this skinny, geeky kid playing air guitar and lip-syncing "Red Rubber Ball", the hit by the Cyrkle. I started to talk to him and found out who he was. I knew Don a bit, liked him a lot ever since he threatened to beat the crap out of Russ Jacobsen, who was twice as big as Don. I told Rich of that and he liked the story.

When Aggie showed up, I told him who this kid was and we decided to sneak him into the pits. Actually, it was not hard. Bob Stroud listened to Aggie and gave Richie a pit pass. Mr. Agajanian almost always got what he wanted.

Richie was driving karts at that time. If he had had a suit with him, he could have driven Joe Giba's outboard, as Joe did not really like Avilla.
    I think Don would have let him, but we will never know that.

Doc

12. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I'd love to know what you do at a garbage collection convention!!!

Talk about trash cans???

13. DocF

DocF

Aggie and his family collected the edible garbage in Los Angeles for years and years. He then steamed it and fed it to hogs that were slaughtered and fed to folks and the leftovers became more garbage. He called himself a used food dealer.:p

I know that the refuse collection business is a huge industry, so it does not surprise me that they have conventions.

Doc

14. DocF

DocF

On a totally different, but somewhat related subject, does anyone know which race track announcer started using this bit. I know for a fact that at least 6 guys used it at one time.

"Ah yes, folks! When you are in Indianapolis, be sure to go out to the White Front, out there in Speedway where you can boogaloo 'till dawn with Duke Cook and Billy Hunter."

Doc

15. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Steve Kroeze is restoring (from photographs) the TQ that belonged to his father, Wes. It won the 1968 -1969 NMRA with Jim Fawcette driving. Trojan and El Toro (Orange County - So Cal) Speedways were their main venues.
    Steve also inherited 'some old sprint or midget parts' from his dad and would like some help identifying them and determining if they have any value or are they junk?

Here's a link to some photos of the parts (first eleven photos)
    Any help or commentary would be appreciated- Steve's email is [email protected]
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/?start=all

one of eleven photos
    [​IMG]

Here's a photo of the TQ being restored, Chuck Fawcette is helping out and pictured in the car (the brother of the original driver Jim Fawcette)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  16. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

OK Fellas. I.D.'s ?

Attached Files:

17. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

1957 ARDC 17th Annual Dinner Dance Program

Attached Files:

18. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Don't know where or what year these were taken. Bob Tattersall. Need I.D.s on the other two drivers and who is that with Mr. Coy?

Attached Files:

19. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

More scans. Again, I don't know where or when these were taken. Feel free to fill in the blanks.

Attached Files:

20. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Just a few more.

Attached Files:

21. Surfref32

Surfref32

even though I'm unqualified as this was before my time, I'll take a stab at a couple. #27 roadster Tony Bonadies, #1 Len Duncan, #20 Bill Randall

22. Surfref32

Surfref32

no doubt that's Dutch Schaefer with the checkers in the Bennett brothers Spotoil Offy in '65 or '66. I'm wondering who is pushing the car in the photo? Mike, any more from that day of Dutch or the car?

23. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Posted these on another site and got responses. Russ Klar in the roadster. Tommie Elliot with the #20. Duncan in the Hespell #1. Ed McVay in 84. Tony Romit in the 31. Jim Whitman #8 and Coy in the 18. Surfref I don't know who is pushing the car in the Dutch pic. I have no similar shots.

24. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Yes I do. Came across some more. These are my late uncle's pics. Still finding stuff.

Attached Files:

25. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

A few more. Some aren't very focused. Too bad.

Attached Files:

26. Zoera

Zoera

The Plainville CT. Historical Society is having a display on Plainville Stadium from 1-4 PM today at 29 Pierce St., Plainville CT. The Stadium ran stock cars and midgets throughout the fifties and sixties.

27. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hi, Well I worked some more on the Badger. Thought I would post A couple photos, who is interested. Before I go to the races tonight!:)

Attached Files:

28. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

29. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

30. Jim Nise

Jim Nise