Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tyster's 28 Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty johnson, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

About 5 years ago i sold my 31 Sedan. The only car my wife was ever disappointed in me selling. Last year i put together a 36 IHC hot rod and sold it. Not enought room in it for everyone. I have 2 boys. One is 5 and the other 1 know. So i went and looked and bought this 28 Model A Tudor. It is a RUST free car. Hard to believe that it made it this long. The engine runs, but it's hurtin'. I'm posting some pics in hopes for some ideas from you guys/gals. The guy told me that the fenders were the worst thing and they are near perfect. One crack in the left frt, and a little damage on the rt rear. Here ya go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ty johnson

ty johnson

3. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

good luck i want one too.

4. dirtcop

dirtcop

That's a great car. I'd make it safe and reliable and drive it as it is now. I'm liking stock or near stock cars more and more. I like the idea of driving 45 to 50 mph max. Have fun with it no matter what you do.

5. ty johnson

ty johnson

Thinking of a drop axle and BETTER brakes for sure. Not sure about power plant yet. Maybe a v-6 so i don't have to mod the firewall.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm liking your plan. Maybe think about putting a later model four banger in it rather than a V6. A Chevy II four with cast finned aluminum Mercury Marine valve and side covers would look pretty well at home in there.

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats beauty , nice score

8. flatford39

flatford39

Nice car. Is that an original Illinois car. If it is you must be pretty far south.

9. You can make serious power with a pinto 4 banger. Tons of aftermarket for them and a easy swap. Or maybe time for a counterbalanced model B :D

10. ty johnson

ty johnson

That's a thought about the Model B.

11. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Cool! Congrats!

12. ty johnson

ty johnson

Got it running a little better tonight. It was crackin and poppin like crazy. Blew the fuel out and it all cleared up. Must of been on the lean side. It does smoke when it warms up. The radiator leaks as well. An ol friend drove by and stopped and looked at it. SHE was tickled to death. She got out of the car and said to my wife, "that's a 28 right?". She used to have one. Then she told me she bought a new radiator for hers but never put it in. In was in the attic of her garage and if i wanted it i could have it. All i have to do is take her for a spin it the ol car sometime. I said no problem. So i guess i got a radiator for it. What luck is that?:)

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I thought this was a hot rod site..

14. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I am kinda supprised no one has mentioned making a AV8 out of it....That'w waht I'ld do. With the stock body and fernders ,In fact I would work on the Flathead conversion, get it driving and enjoy it for a year or so , then drop some bucks on a nice paint job... Maybe even freshen up the tel black think already going on..

15. servi53

servi53

great find, I dig it

16. ty johnson

ty johnson

It is, isn't it?

I know a local guy that has at least 20 flatties. Saw him at a funeral Saturday morning. Going to look at his collection in hopes to purchase one. He says they ALL run. Some have some hop up heads/intakes. What's a good price to pay for one that runs?

17. ty johnson

ty johnson

The 4 banger will be for sale with the trans.

18. sololobo

sololobo

Holy Hambone!! That is a knockout. Congrats bro ~sololobo~

19. ty johnson

ty johnson

Thanks^ Needing to sell another car in the stable to fund the build of this one. I'm ready to get started.

20. jr-41ford

jr-41ford
    from Pasco, WA

Looks real nice, I bought a '28 Sedan driver in April, after selling my '28 Roadster.

I'm going to keep it pretty much stock for now, but when the engine goes, I'm going to install a Pinto/Mustang 4 banger with AT in it, takes very little to do it, without cutting it up.

They also make an adapter to bolt in a 1970's Chevy Nova 4cylinder, to the stock transmission. I may look in to that I also.

Next month, I am going to put some steelies on it, with bias-ply WWW tires, the rears will be the Radir Wheels WWW cheater slicks. This way I can make it look stock or like a street rod, just by changing tires and rims.

There is so much one can do with a Model A, any model, any year, and parts are easy to find and cheap.

Enjoy your Model A.

JR

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Atta boy Tyster......

22. ty johnson

ty johnson

SOLD that other car today at Super Chevy at STL Gateway

23. ty johnson

ty johnson

Haven't done anything to the car, but i did find some parts. 36 front wishbones, 36 rear arms, 38 round spindles and some 49 F-1 frt brakes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'd bolt a Chevy II mill to a S10 4x4 5 speed and run one of CrazyDaddyo's torque-tube adapters. Drop the Axle, and run later stubs and lincoln brakes all round.

later - if you desire - rebuild and hop up the original mill, and retro fit it to the car.

25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Too late - you've already started!!!!

Pays to read the whole thread ;)

26. jazzbum

jazzbum

damn i love tudors. that sucker's clean!

27. ty johnson

ty johnson

Waiting for the the title to come back in my name before i do anything. IL loves to put it to us on titles. The car came with clean paper work and title. Title does match the frame and the body has been tagged by IL already, but ya never know.

28. ty johnson

ty johnson

I got the title back finally. Pulled the body, sold the engine/trans. I now have the frame stripped down and on the table. Hopefully get the crossmembers welded up today and some holes plugged. I have some boxing plates on the way. Going with a S10 rear end, cause 8" Maverick/Mustangs are hard to locate around here. Hopefully have it back on the ground in the next few weeks.

29. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Hot rod the banger like they did before 32'

30. ty johnson

ty johnson

Haven't posted any updates in awhile. Rolled the chassis out and swept up shop today. Thought i'd update my thread.

Stock boxed frame with 36 bones split upfront. 296V8 dropped my axle for me and will do many more. F1 shock mounts bent for fender clearance. I am running disc. Out back i have 36 rods with a 65 Mustang rear and the not so traditional coilovers. I did step the rear frame up like the Tardell's did. SBC with a 350 turbo trans. The rear end has a 2.80 gear. Might have to change that later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]