Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATHEAD STARTER 8ba (aussie/canadian)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A tub, Jun 23, 2012.

1. A tub

A tub

hi all , thought id ask for some advice on flatty starters for my 8ba, my motors built however my starter is no good, my A model isnt wired yet so thought it may be good oppurtunity to upgrade maybe, quick question and may be dumb not sure, are U.S. flattys and the ones we got here ( the canadian ones) have the same style of starter??? in other words could i put one from states onto my motor??? i understand that u guys had bendix starters and we had lucas, however would a bendix fit straight in and turn my motor ,eg are the ring gears the same on manuals here and in states, i was also looking at the other options such as the newer reduction starters on market such as the ones from speedways etc which have solenoid on the side( yes i understand this is not the true traditional thing, however reliability is my goal here), the lucas here is getting scarce and was interested in what does and doesnt fit my 8ba as far as this goes, thanks for any advice in advance, :)
    A-Tub

2. Old Col

Old Col
    from Australia

Yep,the US starter fits the same as the Lucas.....might have one kicking around ,I'll let you know , regards, Col.

3. A tub

A tub

cheers col, what part of oz u from mate?

4. George/Maine

George/Maine

I have one of those mini starters and have no problem with it,they are 12 volt.

5. A tub

A tub

yep was gonna wire her up 12 v anyways so thats good, which one do you have??? theres 2 on speedways site, 1 is powermaster and other is speedway one????

interesting info for all c4 fans btw flat-o-matic do starters for fitment for ur trannys as i just learnt my a is manual so doesnt matter much to me but thought id share this with whoever would like to know:)

6. George/Maine

George/Maine

I have the one from Flat o matic and the start plate.
    You can mount the starter on plate then mount on car.

7. A tub

A tub

are you running c4 or something else here george? my car is manual 3 speed box with cast steel housing

8. I run a mini starter as well, but since you're down under, does your starter turn in the same direction??? (canadian humor)

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Don't those "down under" starters spin the opposite way?

Or, is it just that when you take a northern hemisphere starter down there it just spins opposite?

10. A tub

A tub

come on guys its like asking me what way my toilet spins when it flushes haha, my water in my toilet goes whichever way it can as long as it can get rid of the items my old man leaves in there when hes done dropping dukes haha remember kids no one wants any of the cosbys left in the pool

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  11. George/Maine

George/Maine

I have a c4 trans,but think you would be better with stock type starter.

12. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

I run a mini starter from Castle Electrics in Victoria. Awesome to deal with and good prices too. Nigel.

13. A tub

A tub

castle electrics, ill have to check them out, thanks