Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air suspension/ 4 link question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Jun 23, 2012.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I've been gathering parts for a few months to bag my '54 Dodge. I have almost everything I need to start the project except switches, guages, and a couple other little things. I've noticed most of the cars and trucks I've seen have a 4 link set up. Is that an option most guys go with, or is that the right way to go. I thought I could just leave the axle on one leaf spring and go from there. I just want it to be safe. Every picture I've come across is a Ford or Chevy, never a Mopar.

I would appreciate your help.

Art

2. il6dime

il6dime
    from oklahoma

There are several differant types of link systems. I would say do some research. Check streetsource.com yeah is a minitrucker forum. But there is some great info out there if your willing to look around and talk to people. Now knowing from first hand experience don't mono leaf the rear end it rides like crap and over time something will fail!! Look into a pete and jake or suicide doors trianglaed 4-link. Be fore warned there is going to be alot of cutting and welding. There is another link setup called a 2-link let cutting but its got it's own issues.

3. deff do some research. use a 4 link and do it right way the 1st time. it cost some money to do it all right but in the end itll be worth it. mono leafin and puttin a bag on isnt a good way of doin it, use a triangled 4link, nooooo reverse 4 links. you dont want to cut corners when it comes to air ride suspension. and when you do, its not like lowering it, you dont just throw some bags on and drag for 10 years. you have to do constance mantiance and make sure nothings wearin or about to break. havin a bagged vehicle isnt for the faint of heart and you need to be prepared in case you blow an air line or a bag or have an air compressor crap out on you.

ask questions on here. theres a lot of guys that will ragg on us because bags are "traditional" but theres a lot of guys on here that know stuff

4. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Has anyone heard of wheelsNparts ebay store? This 4 link set up is more in my price range. [​IMG] I know that you get what you pay for but, I know I'm not going out to race anybody.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. read their feedback and see what people are sayin about the 4link. if theyre all mostly good then give it a try.
    just make use the link bars are thick walled tubing since your dodge is a lot heavier than a lil mini truck

6. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Thanks Fellas, all I needed was a little insight from someone who's done it before. You were both helpful.

7. pride63

pride63

Interested to see how you get on with this as I'm looking at it for my 63 galaxie wagon

8. il6dime

il6dime
    from oklahoma

I've been wanting to develop a link system that will work in the 50s cars that do sent require as much cutting ie rear seat supports or trunk. But not having one local to look at makes things difficult lol. Oh and in glad I could help man if you need anything feel free to ask!

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

First off I'd tell you that before you buy a kit from Ebay try Gambino Kustoms. They may already have a kit taylor made to your application, if not I'm sure they could hook you up with one. Not to mention Alex is a super cool dude and a HAMB Alliance Vendor. That means a discount for you.

Second I'd have tell ya that you have to do whats best for you and your car. I see everyone doing the tri angulated 4 link but there's more than one way to achieve the same goal. The first time I did my Cadillac I used a parellel 4 link system. The difference is the bars run straight and you have to use a panhard bar. Works the same just different.

Also depending on how low you want to go. You can have bags and a leaf all in the same package. Link set ups are for going all out. If you want a simple up and down thats an option too. Then there is the static drop. Blocks in the back, cut coils in the front. Many ways to achieve the same thing. Good luck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012