Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model B blues...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lazlobassett, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Yesterday the crank snapped on my B model powered A. Hurtful. That is the word. Broke between # 3 & 4. lucky the head was Ok, original Cragar OHV which has seen some very serious trauma in it's life and amazing it works yet. The crank was offest ground on the rod journels 3/8" with the pinnned and pressed counterweights. Dunno what that costs but a nice new machined & balanced SCAT crank is 1399 to my door, what is the savings with all the mickey mouse crap?

Motor has been very dodgy from the first, bought from ken miller in Tn, off Fleabay, been a total nightmare. I know I should have gone throught it from the first and I am a total dumbass for not doing so. I am A stupid.

It was a great runner well for 200 miles before this, got a t-5 in it, i scored a nice set of 16" blackwall tires an trim rings with the 21 stud motor I bought ( another thread). Car was running good put the tires & trim rings on , F-ing Happy days! Well very short lived... Car shook, made bad noises, alt light came one, dead stop. Fun over.

Still pretty disturbed but tore motor down, the " new rebuild" isn't. Never trust that, lesson learned.

Ordered Scat crank & rods, will send block out to be magnafluxed, align bored and bored out. I'll build it from the ground up this time, anything goes bad it's on me this time.

Any reccomendations for pistons? The crank s being shipped next Tuesday, does anyone stock B pistons?

I'm kinda rambling but this thing has been a total trsain wreck. I thought It was sorted but... well anyone ever been here? Bought the motor " new rebuild" and it is total crap but 900 miles from home so I can't go back and sort it out like I'd like to.

Sorry for the crappy rambling post but I am pretty out of sorts just now.. Hate getting burned. You all always seem to be a rational bunch, what the F do you do when you get burned by some one far away?

Cheers?

Matt

PS: got pix of the damaged stuff for tomorrow if there is interest.

Attached Files:

2. What do you do?
    You appreciate the beautiful roadster you have, you move on and you learn. These are lessons for all of us.

Keep us posted on the build ;-)

Sent from a hand crank phone

3. A BONED

A BONED

Take a deep breath amigo and let it go. Your roadster is a fine machine and will appreciate the nasty banger mill you're going to screw together from scratch. Spending coin you weren't planning on spending sucks but for most it's the whole journey that makes us sing, looking for the right parts, tracking 'em down, putting 'em together and then running the wheels off our rides. I'm sure the build will pay off in spades and you'll be a happy man.

Gomez.

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Most of us have "been there done that" to one degree or the other.

Me with a stock A engine....though not so wallet hurtful as yours!

Yup, just move on and lesson learned.
    You will have a great ride when you're done.

5. R Pope

R Pope

Yep, just suck it up and go on with life. I'd like to tell you that "He'll get his eventually" but unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. Accept your losses as the price of an education and be the better for it. Sounds pretty lame, but that's all there is.

6. eastcoastron

eastcoastron

Have to be careful on Flebay.Been burned more than once but in the end it all works out.You have a nice looking roadster,so chin up and keep moving forward.
    Good luck and keep us posted on rebuild.

7. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Yeah, been there too. About five years ago I have bought an expensive OHV A engine that gave nothing but trouble and it's been sitting on the engine stand most of the time. Last year I sold my roadster with stock style engine so I will have to get another roadster for it. Then I can start hitting my head to the wall again.;)

8. mngreen

mngreen

Hey, I feel for ya. I don't look forward to any major engine rebuilds with my B block/original Cragar OHV setup. So far, so good (40 years running). Let us know the results of your rebuild and success with finding replacement parts. :rolleyes: