Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opel Kadett Gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

2. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Oh great, add the Opel Kadette to the list of my dad's cars I SHOULD have kept!

3. WCD

WCD

Opels were failrly competetive in rally's and touring car racing (Europena Trans Am). Actually, not the Kadette's but the Manta's and Commodores from the 70s.

4. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

That is possible.... Prior to GM/Buick importing Opels most of them that found their way to the United States did so from GI's bringing them back from Europe when their tour of duty overseas ended. Back then it was both "shipping" and "tariff" free" for soldiers of rank E-5 and above. The most popular car imported... the VW Beetle!!!

When I was stationed in Germany ('66-68) that "freebie" ended and GI's had to pay to import cars European cars to the United States.

Then when the EPA got involved..... European cars had to meet U.S. emissions & safety standards or they COULD NOT be brought to the States. That regulation stands today.

I knew an Italian couple that spent a few years living with their family in Italy. Upon returning to the States they somehow brought back a brand new Alpha Romeo sedan with their other belongings. Sadly, the government tracked them down & they had to have the car destroyed!!!! OUCH!!!!

5. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

That's supposed to be a free country! I'd have returned to Italy with my Alfa.

6. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

According to this article, Opels were imported officially from '58. There's even a picture of one. I've seen to many of those P1 Rekords in the US for it to have been GI imports. It says the USA imported 1 million Opels in less than two years!!!!! That's not far off Chevrolets sales figures for '58 and '59.
    Ed
    http://opel-rekord-a-b.blogspot.de/p/rekords-in-usa.html

7. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

I really liked my Opel Rallye Kadett (gold '69) .... I chopped off the exhaust pipes and split the exhaust into duals - used 2 1/2" exhaust tubing with some baffles inside the pipes to quiet it down some..... along with exhaust cutouts for the drag strip. It really did not run too bad for a mini-motor car. Was a fun car to drive. Looked lke a mini-Nova.

I did not know the Opel was imported before it was done in conjunction with Buick dealership. Wonder how that was done other and by who????? Only ones I knew of before the Buick arrangement where the ones the GI's brought back with them?????

I have also wondered about replacement parts. Especially body parts. Pretty much everything else has been changed and hand built anyway.

I saw a BIG ROLL of fiberglass mat for sale at a swap meet last Spring that I wanted to buy (it was only 25 bucks) ..... Well..... I forgot all about it & didn't remember about wanting to buy it until I got home..... bummer.

What I'd like to do is make some front fenders & a hood for the Opel.

I have fooled around with fiberglass before. It is NOT as hard to work with as we thought back when we all were "young hot rodders".

Plus all the resins & also body fillers for today are much better...... if you're my age or older I am sure you will remember the "black magic" days.... HA!!!!!!

I have never tried to make anything quite as BIG as a fender or hood so I am sure even with my all my optimism I am sure it will be quite a chore.

8. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

Great find Dave!Have fun with it.

9. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Here's the Giant Killer with a wild paint job and cool magnesium wheels.

Attached Files:

10. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Dave Mason's Opel Kadett Gasser.

Attached Files:

11. WCD

WCD

Mason earned the AA/GS UDRA circuit championships with this car in 1969.

12. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I wonder where all these old Opels are today?

Attached Files:

13. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

14. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

I really loved spending time in Europe even though I was tied down by "Uncle Sam"...... got to see quite a bit of great historic places.

Remember when all of this happened to that couple it was RIGHT in the MIDDLE of the MUSCLE CAR ERA..... when drag racing & the street scene was at its "high point" (at least as far as I am concerned).

Those days are so embedded in the hearts & minds of hot rodders who were lucky enough to have experienced them first hand.

..... "Hey it would take a tankful of gas just to make the circuit".... John Milner

Even though today we are older, wiser & have the means to replicate those "glory days" today's nostalgia craze is only a mere "shadow" of those days gone by.

That era is the motivating force behind the hot rod/gasser & muscle car revival that is currently in "full swing"!!!!

"Those were the Days my Friends.... we thought they'd never end".... BUT they DID!!!!!

A sad commentary!!!! :(

15. Sweeeeet. My first 2 cars were Opels, a 71 manta and moms old 74 Wagon

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There were Opels imported into N. America even in the late 40's. I've seen LH drive 1947 Opel for sale here locally just this year. I doubt they'd have imported them with RH drive, so I'd guess this one was here or Canada since new.

17. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Fathers Day Bump for the Opel Guys.

Attached Files:

18. WCD

WCD

This was Tom-Smoker-Smith's nitro burner, no?

19. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Those would be very rare cars..... Opel's were and are currently BIG SELLERS WORLDWIDE. In fact, models other than the KADETT & GT would be hard to find. Prior to GM/Buick getting involved with the mass import of Opel Kadetts & GT's which lasted up until 1972 ....the numbers of Opels making their way to U.S. was very small.

Same with the Citroen which is a BIG seller in Europe.

Unlike the Opel, Citroen has no major U.S. ties or deals to any U.S. company which prevented them from being imported to this country in any kind of numbers.

IMHO the Citroen's style is the kind you either "hate" or Love". Especially the earlier models. Much like the Cord & Avanti to name a few, their trent setting styling was way ahead of its time!!!!

I have seen pictures an early Citroen being built into PRO STREET ..... somewhere.

20. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Clark + Clark 1970 Nationals.

Attached Files:

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, prior to the 70's almost all foreign built cars were a rare thing to see imported to the USA. We had the British imports like Jags, Triumphs, and MG's, but for the most part any imports were sportscars, not the typical family car.
    The gas crisis changed everything, and the flood of imports truly began with the gas price jumps of the 70's.

22. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

That is true. You did not see many. The exception being the european cars you mentioned and of course let's not forget Mercedes, Volvo, Saab & BMW. Even so they were a rarity.

Thinking back to my high school days I can only remember a handful of people who owned foreign cars....sport cars or other..... with the except of VW of course.

It wasn't until the late '50's that Japanese cars started making their way to the states. I am sure you remember what people used to say about Japanese cars. It took a LONG TIME for them to catch on with American buyers.

Things sure have changed..... the rice burners have come a long way!!!! Even got them in NASCAR.... what's the world coming to?????? :eek: :confused: :eek:

23. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

wow is that some nice tin work!!!!!im suprised i havent seen any pics. of you car before.hopefully i can see it in person soon.

24. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

work has been so crazy lately!!!!i have also been thrashing on the new enclosed trailer and trying to get the trans fixed.the new motor ran well 10.95@122mph but the tranny went south on the first pass.i tryed to make another run but lost reverse and it was slipping in 3rd.hopefully ill have it back soon and get some good numbers.

25. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Hey Martin..... Glad to hear you have your engine running again.... I am SURE better times will be coming soon.

Hopefully your recent bout with mechanical troubles will be over soon.

We are planning to be at Thompson in September..... See you there! :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  26. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Thanks for posting all the great stories and pictures.

Sure brings back some wonderful memories from the good old days.

Thanks Jimbo

27. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Lets keep this thread about the title and not a bunch of other Germain BS. Now back to Opel Kadett Gassers!

Attached Files:

28. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Anytime your near Central Ohio your welcome to stop. I do plan to get it out later this summer, you will see it soon.

Attached Files:

29. Old Racer 35

Old Racer 35
    from virginia

my brother in north carolina owns the green wagon now its small block ford powered!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  30. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Time for another boost. Mini Brute Kadett.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.