Register now to get rid of these ads!

traditional hotrod car clubs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stoodabaker, Jun 21, 2012.

1. stoodabaker

stoodabaker

Just wondering if there is any car clubs around me that is interested in the same style of hotrodding as me . Traditional rods , hotrods ,tattoos, greasy hair , rockabilly , no bullshit , and having fun ? I met some guys from Minn. at torquefest , and seemed like alot of fun to travel to shows together , and being part of a club . I'm not 100% sure I want to , but I am interested in seeing whats out there . I live in southeast Iowa

2. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

No matter what you think, theres nothing traditional about tattoos. They weren't big in the 50s.

3. Then you, sir, never went to a circus or freak show in the 50s. :cool:

4. shotrod

shotrod

hey whats the difference if tattoos are traditional or not as long as its about people keeping this hobby going isn't it ,just my opinion not trying to cause trouble

5. stoodabaker

stoodabaker

Point taken ,although I dont think I said they were traditional , just my interest , and describing what I'm like. I wasnt around or big in the 50's , so does that mean I can't be traditional ? I'm not trying to be period correct , Just thought the idea of getting to know people like me , that share my passion for hotrods would be fun .

6. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Yes I did, but I don't think any of them built hot rods. Just my thoughs.

7. Kerry67

Kerry67

Be careful how you word stuff. Stick with the hot rod talk and you are fine. Talk about the other stuff, you may have trouble. I myself like everything you talking about but that is MY opinion. I say, hit some shows and just start talking to people about what you are looking for. Look for the people who are into it.

8. stoodabaker

stoodabaker

Thanks kerry67 good advice , I dont think this forum is for me , I think I'll just politely back out , I was just trying to post to see what is out there .

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Stoodabaker your going to get shot down in flames by some very opinionated people soon.get involved in a club for sure, go to cruise nights, shows and even rockabilly shows you will find people with your interest... Worked for me.there are a few hamb sub groups that may interest you , check them out. But there are some people on here that forget what it's like to have fun... Good luck

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Stick around, you just can't be thin skinned.. If you like cars like your avatar, there's plenty of threads you'll like.....

11. Greaser_Kat13

Greaser_Kat13

Dude stick around, i'm into the same things you are... dont let some naysayer get under your skin. i guess some people get confused between trad and popular. Two words for the Haters...SAILOR JERRY. Like i said just hang in there bro a club thats right for you will come along.

12. Greaser_Kat13

Greaser_Kat13

i beg to differ this is just a segment from "The History of American Tattoos".....

"In the 20th century, World War I saw the rise in popularity of American flag, eagles and other patriotic tattoo symbols and icons. Later, tattoo parlors began to gravitate toward military bases as the country entered World War II. The now traditional rose & banner inscribed with a sweetheart's name, the pretty pin-up girl, sailing ships, or the simple inscription "Mom" became widely popular.

Also popular were particular place names, which helped soldiers or sailors chronicle the various towns through which they travelled or saw military action."

Sounds pretty Traditional to me...

13. bonesy

bonesy

Great looking coupe in your avatar. Nice.

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

prewarcars4me is right. Some guys that came home from the war got tattoos. But the average joe in the street was tattoo free. If you had a tattoo you were either ex-service or from the wrong side of town. Growing up in the 50s and 60s I only ever knew one guy with tattoos and he was ex-navy.

Maybe the reenactors car club has a branch nearby.

15. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

Haha. I don't remember seeing any Hot Rod Terraplanes in the 50's either. but I do remember Hot Rod As.

Don't let the "experts" get you down

16. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Sod em dude! Traditional is whatever "you" interpret it to be. Not what somebody else tells you it is. Just do your own thing and have fun doing it. Life is too short not to.

17. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

Don't go do your thing cars, tattoos, all of it it's about a ood time.

18. deto

deto

Holy crap. So far this thread has included:

1. Arguing over "traditionality" of tattoos
    2. FNG threatening to leave
    3. The word "rockabilly"

19. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Ruffling the feathers of some crabby old farts is pretty traditional.

20. Why do you need a group or a safety net of like minded folks? If they are local that is cool but this thing we love is more of a mindset than a club. Having local pals is good bu tour group does well spread apart the country.

21. :cool:
    deto is my pal, he jas had two killer replies this evening!

22. Mooseman

Mooseman

To the original poster you will like it here the longer you are on here, this place is the greatest traditional hotrod forum ever, but with that comes some very strong opinions on what traditional truly is. My advice just be who you are and come share this great forum with a bunch of fokes who like the same style of cars.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  23. What he ^^^^^ said! In the states oppinions is spelled opinions;o]

24. In NZ as well.:D But we say spelt instead of spelled.

25. Mooseman

Mooseman

I just have shocking spelling thats my excuse.

26. ;)
    NZ rocks!;)

27. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

That'll teach you to ask a simple question !

28. Can't we just all get along? I think there's a generational thing going on here. A lot of young guys think that all of us old timers (I'm 61) had tats, slicked our hair back, and wore Levi's with 8" cuffs. Well the news is, it's not all true. Some did, many did not. If the O.P. wants to meet people with the same interests as himself, just get out and go to some events and cruise nights, etc. Be open-minded though or you may miss out on meeting some of the more interesting and knowledgeable in the old car hobby. Good luck.

29. Yep. We have earthquakes ... :D:D

30. mrdodge

mrdodge

....and rocks.....:D:D:D