Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The original tag plate on the lever lock was a bit butchered but the Bigbossman put on his cape and came to the rescue yet again, he made a new one !!! brilliant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hey Steve, how did he do this? i'm sittin' in front of the screen with my mouth wide open, is it printed? or which witchcraft did he use? maybe some kind of miraculix donut-power? ;)
    the doors in company with the chromed hinges are perfect!!! i feel like a little boy with my nearly-gonna-be-stock-work...:eek:

Cheers, Carsten

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not sure Carsten its a water slide decal.

4. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

That plate has come out well Steve. Ian does a great job doesn't he?

You have really nailed the overall look.

Great job!

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks to your probing ebay for cool items mate :D

6. wow, just simple and awesome, hope to see it in person some day!

cheers to the kingdom!

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Mostly very windy & showers here today so a workshop job had to be found, Been looking at the fairlane grille and thinking it needed a surround, I found some 1/4" annealed stainless thick walled tube that would bend easily so made up a surround, Its held in place by 4mm screws from the back which screw into tapped holes in the back of the surround.

This is how it looked

[​IMG]

With the surround

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willys are well known to have cooling issues due to the rad being high, I made up an air deflector to make sure all the air went through the radiator.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  8. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Steve, the doors look great! the whole dang car is amazing!

9. n847

n847

I think I'll be stealing this idea!

[​IMG]

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Mark, I'm well pleased with how its looking so far.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

No problem mate, glad it will be of some use to you.

12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Langy, the car looks great, I've been following this for a while now and couldn't wait any longer to say it.

I love the MIco lock, I've got one in my Dad's old '58 Chevy truck. It works like a charm. Any chance there may be another one of those data plates in production?

Keep up the good work, you've got this guy in suspense...

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate, I appreciate it.
    The Bigbossman did some spares so if you want one shoot me a pm and I will post you one, ok

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Getting a bit closer to the big strip down for final paint and detailing, one of the last jobs to do was to move the front axle back 1" to the 102.5" wheelbase and replace the knackered front springs, I was going to get the springs remade but i've never been happy with the cutouts in the front panel, the springs were 36" between the eyes and i replaced them with 31.250", this pulled the shackles back inside the front panel which looks much neater, the cutouts were reglassed. This enabled me to cut the frame horns back by 2.5".

The springs were chromed and stainless shackles fitted, the towing eye was originally threaded into the original bumper mount holes, as these had been removed the open end was plated over and a tapered stainless mount spun up in the lathe, this is welded into place and a corresponding hole drilled in the front panel for the towing eye to be screwed into.

Looks much better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. farmer12

farmer12

The car is looking more amazing every day! Well done Steve!

16. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Steve, what happens to the doors in the big strip down?

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Body will get stored in my lockup Mark, Its only the frame and running gear that has to be painted.

18. Amazing, as always, Steve - you've got another fantastic ride coming together!

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Eric, hope everythings tickety boo for you.

20. farmer12

farmer12

Things are great here, but I've been busy in the garden the last week and half cleaning and clearing a lot of stuff. Hope to have more time to work on the car in the coming weeks.

21. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

oh good deal, cant wait to see it done!!! whats the next project? Im wondering how you top these last two.....

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

As soon as this is finished I will be back on my 26T, I really miss not working on it. Then i'm seriously thinking of doing a 34 3W altered, you know gasser type front, 401 Nailhead, 9" rear, a bit like these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. no words to find, Steve! every detail knocks me down just when i stood up.. i looked at your chromed hook and imagined the sound of this thing idling.. with goosebumps to bed, Carsten

24. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Better and better. I can't imagine a Willys ever turning out so well, in such a short space of time, and with so little off-the-shelf products, then or now...

25. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

awesome Steve, cant wait to follow along on your future builds, how much is lefton 26? cant wait to see gasser coupe!

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Tom, thanks, thanks for the T shirts you sent over too, your a star

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate, not sure about that but I'm real happy how it's turning out, it would be great to turn out a perfect 60's replica with all the period correct parts but I just can't afford the money needed, making my own parts gives me pleasure and makes it a little more personal.
    I like my cars to look correct but as you get closer to it the personal detailing draws you in, that make sense ?

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha ha, no seats in it at the moment Carsten so no opportunity for sitting in and making brm brm noises LOL

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That really cleaned up the front nicely, Steve, moving the springs back and filling the cutouts like that. Good move. :)

I wore the T shirt you gave me when we went cruising on Father's Day night. I save it for special occasions...........the quality of the shirts is really good. Sue must have played a hand in picking out the material because we guys don't know a damn thing about fabric. :D

Don