Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Planets Align & I Buy a '41 Willys Coupe: Can you help track its racing history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Great find Brian! I am excited to see what you do with it. You blow my mind with every build you do.

2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Boy that thing needs an LS-1in it. I am just kidding My opinion a large inch Big Block Chevy or a 409 with a 6-71 and a 4 port injector. If it was a big block chevy it would have to have Polished M/T valve covers with the M/T breathere in them. This is going to be awesome . That settles it I'm subscribing.

3. Bass -

I agree that it's most likely not the same car ... but thought posting 63CadGuy's two videos would be a good way to get some (circa late '50s / early '60s) Midwest drag racers to join in on the search for the history of your '41 Willys Coupe.

RodStRace -

Thanks for posting those stills ... I too grabbed some screen shots in an attempt to get a better ID on the '41 Willys in the videos ... Unfortunately the colors in the vintage movie footage have deteriorated so much over the years that I couldn't determine (with 100% certainty) that the coupe in the videos was painted a Dark Blue or shiny Black:

Midwest '41 Willys Coupe - Still 1.JPG Midwest '41 Willys Coupe - Still 2.JPG Midwest '41 Willys Coupe - Still 3.JPG Midwest '41 Willys Coupe - Still 4.JPG
    click thumbnails to enlarge

g-willys -

I tend to agree with you that the coupe in the videos was most likely painted Black (vice the 'American Blue' or 'Challenger Blue' original to a 1941 Willys like Brian's recent acquisition).

Here's a pic of Al Pfeiffer's Willys circa 1964:

Al Pfeiffer's Cad powered Willys at Union Grove in 1964 (Photo by Wayne Arteaga).jpg
    click thumbnail to enlarge

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  4. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

This photo is from the Gasser Madness website, and looks like it could be the car from the video:

[​IMG]

The caption says "...unknown Willys in Maryland 1964."

Wheels look the same, and it's a '41 from looking at the bumper. I can't tell what front suspension is on it, or if the rear fenders are radiused...so for all I know, this could be my Willys (although it's doubtful). :)

Irregardless, this is pretty much what I have in mind for my car at the moment...I think it looks bitchin'.

5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like the "custom" in cab throttle return spring :cool: And if someone cannot identify it by the hole work in the rear panel, maybe they might remember about the spring location :confused:

6. Babyearl

Babyearl

. I'll have to source another Olds rear for parts though, as this one is missing the 3rd member and has mis-matched axles.[/QUOTE]

Brian,, First off, Great find,, I have an Olds rearend here with your name on it if you decide to use one.
    Does this mean that the '32 Sedan goes on the back burner? I can hear the excitement in your keyboard,, Earl

7. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Man that's Killer! Dig all the Swiss cheese holes!

8. violet springs

violet springs

Here is a picture of the interior Elverne Pfeifers 41 Coupe from The Rodders Journal #46, page 158. The Dash has custom insert for the gauges, there is another picture on pages 44 & 45

[​IMG]

9. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

If you decide against the Hemi, I have a nice clean rebuild-able olds 394 in my shop, that I could part with.

10. 2-TONED

2-TONED

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

yeah no shit lol. run the hemi man

12. As some others have mentioned without a roll bar this would be a pre 62-63 when many changes were taking place in regards to the NHRA rule book. Prior to that period full brakes were required, 10 percent engine set back was legal in 1960. In 1962 any modified body such as chopped or sectioned or blown gasser required a roll bar, the mention of lightning holes drilled throughout the interior was a no no. These rare front spindle mount Halibrands were probably added later by a new owner or in some cases time, money and rule changes may have kept them from ever racing again. That engine bay and interior has character, after seeing your work when you ventured to the NW for a quick visit to the Swiss, I know you will make the right decision. Great find and looking forward to further reports.

13. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

You may have already seen it...but if not I think you might like the movie "Hot Rod" from the early 70's. A little corny but it has some pretty good actual drag racing clips from that time period.
    I'm just curious...how many of you guys on here have seen the movie?

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

one of my favorites

15. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

That's great info! It sounds like it was more than likely ran between '60 to '62. I was at first skeptical that the car ever saw the track, but underneath the car it's got some residual grease coating the parts that could have only come from use.

16. junkhead57

junkhead57

That is a great find! Another willys dream come true. Ive wanted one for 25 plus years & finally got it a couple years ago. I still have to post pics & trace the history as well. Good luck on this & congrats! I know how you feel!

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

My immediate thought was 59-60 also... 394 Oldmobile engines started in 59, and they were the only engine that could hang with hemi power.

I've heard the 394's could be and were bored up to .125 with no problems!

18. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

WOW.... that's cool. Somebody spent Daaays drilling holes.

I 3rd on the steering box. It's factory 41 Willys. I believe they went to that type Ross in 41 (maybe 40). All the boxes before this one were pretty much appropriate for a lawn mower.

It would be my guess that they went to Ford front end in order to run the Halibrand spindle mounts... or maybe they bent the original axle. It doesn't seem to me like it would be a weight saver to change out the 41 axle for that one. '41 had factory juice brakes with 5 on 4.5 pattern.

I wonder if an early ford rear radius rod would bolt to the rearend? It looks like that may have been what they were using for traction bars.

I can't wait to see what you do with a Willys. Subscribed.

19. Wow Brian! Congratulations on the great score! I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!

20. Weasel

Weasel

Brian, you might want to get hold of Don Montgomery's books on Gassers - Supercharged Gas Coupes. Besides info on blown cars there is a lot of history on gasser Willys.

Here's the direct link to his website:

www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com/book4.html

Don is also here on the HAMB under the handle Rockerhead and his contact info is:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Don Montgomery's Hot Rod Books[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica]636 Morro Hills Road Fallbrook, California 92028
    [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Phone (760) 728-5557
    E-mail Don Montgomery

[/FONT]

21. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Awesome score! We will be watching and good luck with your research. Ron

22. Congratulations Brian! Man that's a nice score! Can't wait to see what you end up doing with it......or more likly to it, sooo bitchen!!!

23. spiders web

spiders web

Luck bastard. Bet your oldlady liked it so much you got alittle somthin-somthin extry

24. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

this the same car that was just In the nsra magazine out of Minnesota for $5,000? It dont matter really man were all just alittle curious to find out If this Is the the same car?

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great start nice going Brian!!! Gonna be a nice one. If you can find out what was in it engine wise, I'd keep it true to the way it was. Lippy

26. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

Awsome find. I can't wait to see you work your magic on it, no matter what you decide to do. Guaranteed it with be one KICK ASS car when your done.

27. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

I'm not curious at all if its the same car...or even what he paid for it...

I'm just curious as to when I get to drive that MF :)

28. very cool car!!!! i didn't read the whole thread, but i hope if ya find out the history on it....i still haven't found any of the racing past of my topolino...:mad:...............i did read the "hemi is a belly button" statement..:confused:....can't agree with it myself..:confused:..just cause people have re-discovered them.....and i know there ain't nothing belly button about my 325 hemi....i think this is the least produced of the hemi's....i could be wrong, but try finding speed parts for one...still i love my hemi:cool:

good luck in the hunt, look forward to seeing it be revived......:D.

29. midwest409

midwest409
    from Illinois

I have a complete 54 olds super 88 I saved since the 1980's with an untouched drivetrain 324 engine andhydro A/C TO OIL PAN. 815-341-7597 IF INTERESTED.

30. x2. Crazy score Bass.