Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blown nailhead knowledge needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikey b, Jun 17, 2012.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They use Offy's because they are available and inexpensive. :roll eyes:

That is the good thing about them, you can actually get them.

2. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

ok roll your eyes..let me rephrase that and slow down a little..in the 60s and 70s they used them because there is nothing in them but an open plenum...you are right they are still avail..

the only way i know that is because an old blower guy told me that, and hes built more blower intakes than most people have ever seen...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. WTF ! Stow that Borg bullshit

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I think Don Hampton knows what will work.

5. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

6. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

lighten up it was a joke..maybe a bad one but it was a joke..

7. Got any pics of what you did for your intake?

8. Mikey b

Mikey b

So from what I gathered is get a 2 x 4 bbl offy manifold and have it milled down to fit a 471 gmc blower. Or pay 900$ and have don Hampton do it but would be a finished right product .I can get a offy manifold for about 350$ aprox. But have no clue how much to have milled down or by who? This the first thing . Next have to drop a10-1 compression 364 down to 8-1 by having pistons milled down? Or is there another way you guys suggest? I'm sorry that this is gonna have to be broken down Barney style hehe

9. Mikey b

Mikey b

There will be more questions but I'll wait on these two first . This help is amazing

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Doing one on your own you would most likely need the drive system first in order to get your for and aft position of said 471 when drilling manifold. Than trying to find center line of crank, on & on & on. In case anybody is gearing up for a 364 471 Blown Nailhead kit I would be interested in one also......................

11. Mikey b

Mikey b

I got some info from chuckles. 2 x 4 offy intake is the way to go . And to make sure when milled that it's centered. So who would be the machine shop to mill the intake down for blower?

12. Mikey b

Mikey b

I know it's important to me to run vbelt drive even though they will slip a little bit I think a bit more nostalgic look is also what I'm going for so those questions are gonna be coming as well

13. Mikey b

Mikey b

Okay so intake, pistons, cam , has all been covered ! Crank , should you have your crank polished and block de- flashed from when it was cast?

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

There is a lot of flash that needs to be taken care of in the valley's of Nailheads.

Have the whole rotating assemble balanced, including the flywheel/flexplate you'll be using.

Start looking for that 364 manifold, even the dual quads can be hard to find sometimes.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

And as for what machine shop to use for the manifold, to use the proper vernacular of the area you are in...

"BOY, you are in NASCAR country, you can't spit without hitting a goodun"

lol

But seriously maybe one of the Iron Lords has a recommendation. But there are plenty of good fab/machine shops in your area.

16. Mikey b

Mikey b

You guys are amazing thank you. I'll do some machine shop research today

17. please take pic as you go along with the intake process.
    I'm looking at making a plate for a 6x2 and running it that way

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

If you are gonna pay someone to machine an intake down, machine a 1/2" blower plate and weld it to a machined down intake, why wouldn't you just have Hampton do it for 900? Will it be that much cheaper paying someone else do the same thing? Hampton has been building these for decades. If you have someone else do it and its too far forward or back you may have issues getting a drive set up. Hamptons even makes a lot of the intakes that some of the other big blower companies sell, why risk it to save a few bucks?

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Are you talking the top plate? Not sure putting a blower on top of a 6x2 would even be feasible.

He's talking a 364 and a 471, so it'll be different from what Hampton does regularly, which is 401/425's. But you are correct they have some experience with it.

20. We make em here @ CP-Carrillo too!

21. Mikey b

Mikey b

I talked directly to Hampton he seemed very confident taking on the task I'll prob have them do it because in the long run I think it will be about the same but done right for sure. I will def take pics along the way

22. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I cant say enough about how good Don Hampton was in helping me when I was getting my 471 stuff together (SBC) even though I hadnt bought anything from him, he was still willing to help me out with any advice I needed. He even turned me on to a guy that had a NOS intake for me.

23. a buddy and i have it figured out to cut this up and put a top plate on it and add to the insides of the intake for the mixture to head into the intake. kinda hard to explain. That is unless someone comes out with a weiand blower intake this summer...... if ya know what i mean

[​IMG]

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Russ says it's coming. :cool:

25. Mikey b

Mikey b

Wow that's amazing looking pbr. If wieand is comming out with one I'll wait for that . Is the source good?

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Russ Martin says he is repopping some, that's a good source, but they won't fit a 364, he's doing 401/425 ones, and I believe they are for 671/871 as well. Won't help with the 471 on a 364

27. Mikey b

Mikey b

Haha that figures why do I always choose the hard route. Maybe I'll get another 364 and build the blower nailhead and run a built up one for now until I finish the blower engine cause it will hold me up for sure with my build but I can really take my time and learn with all this great information you guys have provided. We ll see. I'm gonna keep digging

28. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Here's the Waldon 4-71 401:D Pretty sure Bobby will build you a intake for a 364 if you wanted. Shot him an Email and ask

Attached Files:

• 070.jpg
      070.jpg
      File size:
      486.2 KB
      Views:
  29. Mikey b

Mikey b

Wow that looks so amazing. Wow ! Thanks did he make the snout for the pulley cause Hampton said it had to be a super long one. Thanks brother let me know what he says