Register now to get rid of these ads!

idiot question - how remove chevy 283 bellcrank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, Jun 20, 2012.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

installing headers and need to remove the clutch linkage. i got everything out but the bellcrank. this is on a 63 chevy c10 with 283 4 speed on the floor. the bell has a nut on the frame side that i got off but i cant get the end off the engine side. any thoughts?

2. robertrj

robertrj

The frame side is slotted. Once you loosen the nut that side of the bellcrank should pry up.

3. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

its a ball head bolt on the side of the block the bellcrank slides out away from the block. A 5/8"Open end wrench to unscrew. You might have hardend grease holding it.

4. neverwinter

neverwinter

yeah i got the frame side no prob. i just dont want to break anything else - already snapped the dipstick tube doh. 9ill see about a wrench on the block side. thanks all.

5. neverwinter

neverwinter

argh i cant get this damn thing. i may have mis-typed. what i need to get out is the round piece that has the 2 connecting arms for the clutch linkage. i can lift the frame end of the pieceup and out but i cannot slide that tube piece over enough to get it out. tried lightly tapping with a hammer, nada. do i need to hit it enough back towards the firewall side in order to slide it out so i can get the header in? what a pain in the a$$. i dont want to just bash things. i cannot get a wrench on the 5/8 side because that housing is in the way. does this make any sense at all lol?

6. squirrel

squirrel

scrape all the grease off it, look for the clip....

edit: I think the clip is on the frame end. You should be able to pull it off the engine end...damn it's been a long time since I took one of those apart.

7. neverwinter

neverwinter

8. bustingear

bustingear

9. neverwinter

neverwinter

tried the hammer - now the whole thing is jammed. i give up for now.

10. neverwinter

neverwinter

ok well i got it out and now the damn header STILL doesnt fit. awesome. time to call summitt

11. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Try removing the NUT from #7. Try tapping #7 deeper INTO the tube until the threaded-end of #7 is just INBOARD of the bracket/hole that it normally sits in. Once #7's threads are inboard of the frame bracket, lift the outboard end of tube just enough that you can slide tube assembly OUTBOARD, off of #8 ball. DD