Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bringing back the Legendary Big John Mazmanian Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beegator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. beegator

beegator

Scott Leber of ScottRods Custom and Pirrone and Ellershaw racing are teaming up to bring back one of most famous gassers and gasser pilots of all time! In honor of this year US Nationals having a class for the "Classical AA/GS Group" Scott, Rock and Bill have committed to build a tribute car in honor Big John Mazmania! with original driver Bones Balogh doing the driving! A very special thanks to Vic Mazmania and Isky cams and everyone else who are working overtime to make this dream a reality!

[​IMG]

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Uh, that would be Mazmanian, not Mazmania.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Big John always had the cleanest, sharpest drag cars around. Loved his Vette too.

Don

4. beegator

beegator

I didn't write it, Rocky did. :rolleyes:

But he does build motors better than he spells. LOL

5. oj

oj

Fantastic, his cars were as sharp as they were competitive. Will you do a build thread?

6. Doesn't the original car still exist?

7. I liked his vette as well but every time I look at it I chuckle. Looks like he radiused the wheel wells with a skill saw. And we always think that every opened up wheel well out there was a perfect curve.

You are correct he did run some pretty smooth cars.

8. outlaw256

outlaw256

that there willys is the reason(and the other famous one) for my love of the 41 willys gassers.one of the most beautiful cars to ever run on a track!!!!!!!!!!!

9. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

I believe there is at least two "tribute cars" already of Big John's Willys .

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it does Big John was never able to find it.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cool thread, we need pictures

12. beegator

beegator

Hopefully Rocky will respond soon and give you all more info with photos. Maybe a spy shot of the body and build. :) They are probably still celebrating Freddy's BG win in the KS Pitman gasser.

13. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I seem to remember that Big John sold the coupe to the Hill Brothers in Ohio and it was later wadded up somewhere. Pretty sure I've seen pics with only the lettering changed too. No matter, if Rocky's involved, it'll be beautiful.

14. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

We did the Willys in 1:18 many years ago so they are long gone, but always did LOVE the way this car looked. Extremely nice. It would be nice to see it.

15. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The original car was crashed, the other steel coupe you may be thinking of was a clone. Now in a private collection.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man, you Gasser Wars veterans give me the Willys!

God bless you all, for your untiring efforts.

17. Weasel

Weasel

A clone of a clone of the original....the original is long gone....:(

18. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

The Jackson Brothers have some good footage of the original car running on the Gasser Files videos volume 1 and 2, for reference purposes. Plus is a great video to watch anyway because of all the old drag footage.

Speed Gems likes this.
  19. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, Big John never found the original prior to his death...there is one clone...presume that the one you are going to build is for racing, with the safety stuff now required...that will be outstanding!

Big John was a good guy, humble when you beat him (I beat the candy vette once, in my Ardun car), and not boastful when he won (yes, he got even and trashed me!!)...guess the Vette is also in a private collection (anyone know for sure), but a raceable clone would be great...and you guys are the right guys to do it...

20. Deuces

Deuces

......;)

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  21. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

This will be a tribute car to Big John and Bones. We plan on having this car at INDY for the US Nationals with Bones driving in the "Classical AA/GS"
    Showcase eliminator. This car will look as close to the original from the outside as possible but will have all the safety mods required to run 8.50 et's. The drive line will be different too as the original ran a four speed hydro. This version will run a hemi and either glide or 400 trans. I'd like to give a shout out to Scott Leber of ScottsRods and john Shelton from American Gasser for the gorgeous body we have to work with. I'd also like to thank Barb Hamilton, Fred Bear, Jerry Mallicoat, Ed Iskederian, Bones Balogh, Al Nosse and my entire crew for all the help on this project. I'll do my best to get some photos as we go along, we're under a tight time line so I don't have a whole lot of computer time in front of me. Thanks goes out to Vic Mazmanian for this opportunity. We plan on giving Bones every chance possible to win Indy one more time and to showcase Big John's legacy to the tens of thousands of his fans that never got a chance to see his cars run.

22. oj

oj

You mean, Indy - like in this years Indy? Jeez, Rocky you'd better quit b.s.'n and have at it!
    That is a lot of work between now and then, you guys just might be able to pull it off.
    Need lots of pics, good luck oj

23. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

24. BackMotor

BackMotor

Wow, can't wait to see it. Rocky and the boys always do an outstanding job !! :cool:

25. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I'm sure Rocky's version will have the engine setback and rear fender radius done right. :)

EVL401 likes this.
  26. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I know you guys build nice cars, but if you're going to build a replica of Big John's Willys, please do it right. Your Boss Hydro and KS Cars turned out great, but there are some other "tribute" cars out there that are horrible. If you're going to have Bones drive the car, and paint his name on it, then build the new car the way the original was when he actually drove it. Big John's Willys went through many changes, including paint, suspension, stance, tires, wheels, etc... Bones quit driving Big John's car in late 64 or early 65. The car still had long ladder bars, quarter eliptic springs, pie crust slicks, it wasn't crazy jacked up, and sat low in the rear. This pic is towards the end of Bones' time with the car.
    Bones.jpg

Now look at the car in 66. The car is now driven by Dick Bourgeois, it sits higher, it's running either 10.50 or 11.00-16 Goodyear Blue Streaks, Cragar SS wheels on the front, different lettering, a fiberglass injector scoop, shorter ladder bars, the lower rocker guard is gone, and unseen in this pic, the car now runs a combination of parallel leafs in the rear along with coil springs. So my point is, if you're going to build a tribute car with Bones doing the driving, build like it was when Bones actually drove it.:)
    Big_John_Mazmanian_7.jpg

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Mazmania"- The fananical enthusiasm toward racer John Mazmanian, which can even lead to building a clone of his car.

FWIW, I also vote for an early version of the car. Would be cool to park it next to the 'high' version clone pictured at CHRR for a comparison.

28. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

The outward appearance will be of the 64 car I posted a pic of. The chassis and driveline will be different. Shorter ladder bars and coil overs in the back. Mainly to save time on sorting the car out. This car will run 8.50's in the quarter and 5.50's in the eighth so the same suspension they used in the early 60's might not respond as well to todays tracks, tires and power.
    My agreement with Vic Mazmanian and Bones is to have the car "look" like it did in 64 AND be competitive with the cars that its racing against today. Am I going to please everyone on this build..? no. My goal is to please Vic, Bones and myself with a cool "tribute" to a great racer and to give Bones a shot of repeating his earlier Indy victory.

29. FEDER

FEDER

I totally agree Boss. It will still look the part. But if in origional trim He wouldnt have a chance. How cool would it be for Him to WIN INDY!!! If You build Him a winner and He does, Those tears will be PRICLESS. FEDER

30. And to do it SAFELY!

From what I saw of your cars at Bowling Green last week, I applaud your efforts and look forward to seeing the latest edition.