Register now to get rid of these ads!

My hands are wrecked from sanding...any tips?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Jun 18, 2012.

1. cavemag

cavemag

Try Namman Muay. It blows Tiger Balm out of the water.

2. You haven't lived until you've wet sanded through your finger tips. From experience, when your wet sanding clearcoat and the water becomes red streaked, STOP. As with your problem, it's just father time saying slow the fluck down and take a break. The car will still be there when your healed up.

3. 73RR

73RR

Wrist braces are cheap enough...sleep with them on even if you have had a light days work.
    Like many others, I have been fighting this for decades and the braces help me alot.

4. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I'm 27 and already have it...I work in a restoration shop doing all our custom metal fab, metal finishing and body work...padded gloves help...use an air board instead of a DA...I broke my left arm then after that healed I broke 2 fingers in my left hand the breaks went into the joints of my fingers and had to get screws put in so movement in my left arm and hand isn't what it should be...also have issues with veins in my legs and have to walk with a cane now outside the shop...probably looking at a knee replacement too....it's not old age that does it to some people...it's a business that's hard on the body

5. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I've done this plenty of te just sanding body filler with 80-grit I rarely ever have finger prints...worked out good when the cops go to print you and the computer can't pick up any print

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Don't work so hard. Seriously, my body work got LOTS better (and faster) when I learned to go easy, use a gentle touch and not bear down on the sandpaper or sanding block. If you go at it too hard you will gouge the surface creating dips and waves. Use a light touch, the sandpaper glides over the surface leaving it smooth and flat.

If the sandpaper isn't "doing anything" unless you bear down, that is a sign it is worn out and ready for a fresh sheet.

When wet sanding you should hold the paper flat on your hand with the corner pinched between the thumb and hand. Do not let it slide around and it will not wear your hand.

The DA sander is hard on the nerves in the hands. I never use one and neither do other pro bodymen I know. I use an orbital air sander but most of the work is done with speedboard, sanding blocks and sandpaper, not power machines.

Use good quality paper and change it as necessary, yes it is expensive but there is no other way.

7. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Body shop air tools wrecked all my arm joints ,finger, all junk 40 years of having "fun doin body work and painting" at 61 I dont know what else is screwed I,ll just keep plug,n away you need to be real tough to get old!!!!

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Thank you, Highlander, and others!

I started taking your advice and letting the paper do the work instead of putting so much ass into it. I don't have wrist supports yet so used some duct tape and a figure 8 pattern after putting a little dust on it to reduce it's adhesion(pull the hair out of your arm if you don't) and I'll be darned if it doesn't keep the wrists straight. I also use dishwashing gloves with the fingers taped like a football player.

My hands don't feel perfect but a heckuva lot better than they did , so somethings working. I have that painfree stuff on order too, it's all good stuff to have.

10. worldwar2relics

worldwar2relics

Hi
    I saw in anothe rpost you were looking for a Ford Pilot Woody
    There is a Ford Pilot Woody on ebay US right now.
    Its in the category Ford Other
    Good luck

11. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

I know a professional bodyman who has hand sanded all day, every day for decades. I am amazed at his endurance. I wouldn't want to have a thumb wrestling contest with him.

12. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Spend a couple years being single and a little sanding won't bother you a bit!:D

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

13. Elbow

Elbow
    from outskirts

Still got finger prints?

Keep sanding!

14. Looking at the date of a thread helps,,this guy hasn't been on line for almost a year. HRP

• Last Activity: 10-15-2012 01:29 AM

15. stimpy

stimpy

I laughed the first time my Orthopod Said this as a cheaper way ( as insuranc wouln't pay for theropy ) to help correct it from doing body work on semis , I had it done and it works . also so does wrapping your hands and wrists in hot towels , now to find a non surgical way to get rid of the hammer/trigger fingers..

we have them here too this is what my freind uses , they do not make them big enough for my paws as I split the seams between the fingers . but they do help alot .

16. b-bob

b-bob

I went through all this stuff ten years ago, pain was so bad I would wake up in the night and my wrists and forearms would just be so bad I could hardly stand the pain.
    Finally went to the Dr. and ended up getting the carpel tunnel surgery and haven't had the problem since.
    Got away from steel fab job but still did my own body and prep work up till a few years ago.
    Now if only I could get a new back, that worked that well, I would be OK.

17. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Run a da for a day..................then go and try to play guitar old age sucks

18. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Old threads never die......... Wonder how the oils and balms advice worked out - when it came time to paint....

;)

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Another thing I forgot to mention is Sam E. This is a pill you can buy over the counter at Walmart, health food and drug stores (not all of them).

It is the only thing that will regrow worn joints. Also good for the nerves, cures depression and liver disease.

I started taking it for depression and after 3 weeks long standing back pain and knee pain disappeared never to return.

I recommended it to a friend who had carpal tunnel from office work and keyboard typing all day and it cured her too.

Worth a try if you have carpal tunnel, back pain, bad joints, arthritis etc.

Also don't use a vibrating sander or tools of any kind. Use a speed board, sanding block or sand paper. The work will go just as fast. You can use an orbital for sanding, it is not as destructive to your hands. Don't use it too long at a time.

Hold the orbital looser and do not force it, guide it.

20. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Aleve is a wonder drug for pain. When wet sanding I use those heavy brown cotton gloves that you can get at swapmeets. I think they are made for gardening. Dip your hand, with the glove on, into a bucket of water and you protect your hands and always have water on the sandpaper.

21. You haven't even started to suffer...Wait until you sand and buff your shoulder apart to the tune of a 35,000 rebuild or the dreaded trigger finger that sticks shut like an old shop door from using your hands like a hammer.....And people wonder why I slowed down!!

22. I just had my second shoulder done plus I'm one of the lucky ones that has Psoriatic Arthritis. I get to inject a vial of shit into my belly once a week at $500 a pop, plus I live on pain killers that I know will kill my liver. In the mornings my wife brings my pain killers to me in bed, 1/2 hour after I take them I can move enough to get dressed.
    I guess I should be happy though, the government tell s I'm too healthy to get Disability benefits!

23. boutlaw

boutlaw

Yeah, getting old just sucks, I just won't sand anymore, to hard on hands , back, and wrists. Thats why you work hard when you're young so you can pay when you're old. After sanding the F1 for months back in the spring....never again....never again.

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

his hands prolly hurt to bad to use keyboard:D