Register now to get rid of these ads!

gas sprays out of the aircleaner, flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjurij, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mercjurij

mercjurij

Did not find something about that,

i put headers on my 1950 merc flathead. since that it runs nicer and faster but it is spraying much gas out of the aircleaner that its dropping from the hood. now i am a little afraid of getting a fire around the engine...

any ideas???

thanks from germany!!

2. oj

oj

Intake vale timing off and is opening too early in the exhaust stroke causing 'reversion', an air pressure pulse back thru the intake and carb. Something along those lines. You can trooubleshoot with a 'leakdown' test, where you use regulated (@100psi) air pressure into the sparkplug hole - like a compression test, except you put pressure into the engine. You will be able to hear where the air is going ie: into the crankcase, out the exhaust etcetc. The engine will rotate to the bottom and at that point the exhaust valve is normally cracked open but you should be able to hear what is going on. To do a controlled, serious appraisal then it is best to lock the engine at tdc per piston that you are working on. I doubt you'll need to do taht as whatever is going on will make itself known real quick, ok?

3. mercjurij

mercjurij

hi, thanks for that fast answer :))

4. With that much gas spraying on the hood & driping back down on the motor, I WOULD NOT start it or not run it, not until you get it fixed. I've had a carb fire :mad: and was lucky not to loose the whole car. Don't let it happen to you. Trust me, it'll ruin your whole week.
    Good luck mate. :)

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

check power valves if you have 94's and check for a sunk float if 97's Mine was spraying out of the accelerator pump not the air cleaner.

6. I have had a pin hole leak in the the nozzle bar on my 94 and it caused a stream of gas to spray up from the carb