Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Bluto.....I don't know about that.... While the both of us favor Mercers I have lots of seat time in (4) t-head Mercer Raceabouts and (3) early Stutz Bearcats.
    They both have about the same speed and acceleration potential.

BUT THE MERCER has it all over the Stutz in all other categories.

The Kid below in the 1911 Mercer says "My dad says you have to be nuts to drive a Stutz"

Attached Files:

• KID.jpg
      KID.jpg
      File size:
      85 KB
      Views:
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

One night at dinner, Stan suggested to Oliver that instead of a...

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good one! Glad you are feeling better!:D:D:D

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I'd say you're both definately correct. I had a flick through Mick Walker's book and Mr. Muller is only mentioned once. There is a photo floating around on the web of the NSU team after the '26 Avus race but the image is too small.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

No not better Bob but not Stutz Stupid ......

The Mercer out handles the Stutz and doesn't beat you up doing it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Nice to have you back Jim. I missed your humor.

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for your support

I just tried to die again nothing new

8. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

This may sound stupid but that's the funniest thing you have ever said.

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

It doesn't feel too good also

10. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Take the dirt car out for a spin and you will forget about it.

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I need a HAL DO Model A head

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Bluto...Your right about that, they really give you a work out where as w/a Mercer you just think where you what to go, and the car almost does it all by itself.

13. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

I thought it would be in Beverly Rae Kimes' "The Star and the Laurel". But it isn't!

The laurel was apparently adopted in 1909 to commemorate Benz's early successes in the Herkomer and Prince Henry Trials, the Moscow-St Petersburg race and the 1909 Daytona speed trials:

http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-1279050-1-1279320-1-0-0-1279432-0-0-135-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html

14. noboD

noboD

Jim, you don't have time for that. You have too many projects to finish. Get well!

15. Now you just need to cut that out!

Hope you feel better soon Jim

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jim glad to hear you were not successful at dying. It's good to fail sometimes I guess.

You crack me up on the Stutz vs Mercer. I am a huge fan of the Mercers and I still like Stutz motorcars but I know what you mean. Back when I was 16 I worked close by the house for a summer job and my brother who went away to school did not have a car. His work was on the other side of town so he used my car to get to work and I drove my dad's 23 Stutz Bulldog to work.

I cannot blame just Stutz for two wheel mechanical brakes but the shifting with the transaxle and the way it drove overall did not earn it high grades with me. Throw that in with the people that would cut in front of me and then rubber neck to see the radiator emblem and my waving my arms frantically because of the brakes and difficulty downshifting at will put a bad taste in my mouth. I drove a 27 Stutz Blackhawk speedster though and it was a much better car. The 23 was still old technology left over from the teens and more is in reference to the whole Stutz vs Mercer battle.

I have driven a fair amount of these old cars and I can't say that all that many drove well, My favorites were probably the second series Twin Six Packards and the 1913 Chalmers I owned and drove all over. Easy and effortless to drive. That 13 Chalmers was 10 years older and ten time easier to drive. Makes you wonder-Jim

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sorry I mentioned my poor health
    Thank you all for your kind wishes
    Please lets talk about cars.

Stutzs are just heavy handed ..... they are like driving a pretty dump truck.

Mercers shift like a hot knife thru butter...... You can drive with your finger tips.

I drove mine from Singapore thru palm oil estates, mud and heavy rain to Penang AND BACK! One flat tire, ran outta fuel once cause there was just no station but had my can of fuel so no matter.
    All the time with the cutout open and an ear hurtin' smile.

The only other pre-war racer I have ever felt like hero in was the BMW 328
    Few cars just feel like "Come on lets give them BURNING HELL'' and honestly deliver

The first BMW I restored was the MM prototype spider. When it got it down on the ground I was bery unhappy about the ride height ... it wasn't tall but just a couple more inches than I liked. In those days I took the cars I finished to Designer and good friend Kieth. He had MS if it was a good day he'd drive the car, bad day I'd drive.... really bad day we'd sit and look at whatever I drove up in. On the way over to Palos Verdes The car fell in hand. I had to lookout for radar and somehow the air under the car bothered me less.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the drive reports! You two guys may be onto something, I always enjoy reading about old cars being driven, even though I don't get that big a charge out of driving myself. Think it is the fear of braking something. Guess I could have had a shot of a lot of great stuff 1970-84 while at Vintage Auto. I do have the small end of a Type 59 Bugatti connecting rod on my desk that I fished out of the sump after a Lime Rock event. Glad I was standing there listing and not the guy behind the wheel. Bob

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally got some preww2 stuff

[​IMG]

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Bluto.....Hope this photo of the Austin Clark 1911 Raceabout makes you smile.......

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  26. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I sincerely appreciate everyone's time and effort for posting all of the wonderful photos that can be seen throughout this thread but i urge all of you to please use the photo attachment tool that is provided by this message board when posting photographs/pictures from another sharing site, ie; Photobucket, Flikr, etc.

I recently went through the entire thread and noticed lots of pages with the daunted red X but worse are the photos that belong entirely to another thread. If i asked those folks to remove or delete the empty posts this thread wouldn't be at 400+ pages but somewhere around the 320-350 mark.

Thankyou.:)

27. Following up on Kurtis' above post....Photobucket Pro is only $2.99 a month...or about 10 cents a day-it's worth it.:cool:

28. simplex2stroke

simplex2stroke
    from USA

I'm searching for information on the "Cody Special" a highly modified early T head National that ran in the 1916 Santa Monica Road Race. It was driven by William "Bill"Cody and ran as car#23. It DNF'd with an engine problem.

Still looking for photos of the EMF that ran in the '09 Cactus Derby and the '09 Santa Monica road race. I own what is believed to be this EMF, but the racer body was thrown away in 1960. The then owner wanted a touring car.. Luckily, except for throwing away the sheet metal, the project stalled, so chassis was not brought back to stock configuration, so some photos could confirm the legend.
    Thanks again!!

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Simplex, welcome to the HAMB! Was your EMF a West Coast only car? I may have some info on East Coast cars just don't want to go on a search what will turn up as unwanted info. Bob

30. simplex2stroke

simplex2stroke
    from USA

Yes, as far as I can tell, the EMF racer, has always, up until I brought it home, lived in the west. The apparent owner/driver was Harry Lord, who was an EMF/Studebaker dealer in LA. Lord raced EMF's until at least 1911.

Attached is a photo, I recently bought of some San Diego racers. All three are chain drive, but I can't decide on makes. Lots of interesting detail on the building.

Attached Files: