Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a car with coils...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Hey all, I've been thinking about lowering the Buick lately, hoping to mine do it this week. I know heating the coils is a no-no, and cutting them is the way to go (well, lowered springs or spindles are the way to go, but I'm cheap)... But what do I do about the pig tails on either end of the spring? Won't I have problems with the spring sitting in there if I cut them? How do I get around this?

Thanks in advance for replies!!

Posted from Jalopyjournal.com App for Android

2. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I havent had any problems, just go little by little so you dont lower it too much

3. Drill out your A arms and use J bolts to compress the springs. It's adjustable and reversible. Just make sure you get USA made J bolts, not that crap from China.

4. zep058

zep058

here's a tech from Nic on Los Boulevardos which should help.

LBCC

Good luck

5. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I've done all those things mentioned, with the labor involved in removing the coils and the relatively low cost of new ones instead of 50-60 year old parts...I called Eaton Detroit Spring and had four springs for my 66 Riv for 230.00 delivered, fit perfect, excellent ride. Good spring rate, no bottoming out, but not too stiff either.btw, I put in new spring isolators also....stopped a clanking, squeaking noise.

6. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I know shorter springs are the way to go, but I literally have less than 200 bucks in the whole car...:D

I really dig the thread on building cups with the retainers!!! That's genius!! I'm definitely going that route when I attack it. Thanks man!

7. Cranny

Cranny

I cut a coil and a half on the front and Jamco lowering springs on the rear.

Attached Files:

8. slammed

slammed

9. wood470

wood470

Drive fast, take chances and pass on the right in a $200 car ? Heat them sukkers with a victor wrench,

10. Cranny

Cranny

you can also bolt on mid 70's el comino rear springs and it lowers it about 3 inches. Just make sure your shocks work good as the ride is kinda squishy.

11. HamD

HamD

If it's a double-pigtail spring, find single-pigtail springs with rubber isolators and tack on the frame something to index those. Single-pigtail springs can be cut.

If, If, If...