Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pat Barnhart's 46

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I swear I remember seeing quite a few pics of it, even some of the crazy front axle setup. Searched to no avail.

Anybody? ElRusto?

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Seems like he's building a 46 right now, If I remember right he said Hales speed shop had a hand in some of it... I think... I'll bet Dirty2 would know something.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha! I'd have to dig a bit, but I have articles on it in both Street Rodder and Rodder's Digest from those days. The front wasn't that odd, kinda... It was a dropped axle with early for spindles with AMC spuds dropped and discs. Guess that is a bit odd, but I have an article on that too from an old R&C quarterly. What car do you think REALLY influenced my Plymouth, hhhhhmmmm? Hell, you even remember the wide whites and orange steelies days!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell, ya know, I don't think you remember that spindles and disc combo was the imputus for the MustangII under my car. I cut the snouts off of the stock Plym spindles, built the drops, had Steve (ElPolacko, to everybody in H.A.M.B.land!) weld the drops, bolted it all together and dropped it off jacks.... Right onto the stock cross member! Still not low enough! Hot wrench came out that afternoon!

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

All I know, Chip, is if I had pieced that combo together like Barnhart's setup, you guys would have shot me down! hahaaa

Pics anyone?!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Been there, done that! Strong like Ox, smart like rock!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Perfect day for diggin' around in 60 years worth of magazines, being that I forgot what the sun looks like! Bring some beer down if ya need those articles...

9. Pat's 46 was always a favorite of mine; I liked it when it was a coupe before he turned it into a ragtop. I got to meet Pat and his buddies many years back; a great bunch of guys. Pat's vehicles are always nice and LOW.
    ...I'll see if I can dig up a few pics...

10. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...and, it had some of the coolest flames ever!

11. Elrusto

Elrusto

Attached Files:

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That's the ONE pic I do have. haha Thanks ElRusto for looking.

13. Toptinman

Toptinman

Pat quoted me once, "If it ain't low, it ain't mine."

14. Pat and his sidekick drove that coupe out to a big California show and Boyd Coddington paid them a dollar to look under the hood....true story.

15. lots/of/stuff

lots/of/stuff
    from Dallas, Tx

Here are a few pictures of my dads ol' cars, just a few... Thanks for all the inspiration Dad!!! Its in the blood!

My Mom and Dad are at the LA Roadster show right now via airplane. Not exactly the way it usually goes but.... they made it out to see some good people and cool cars and some motivation / inspiration!! Were drivin next year!!! The Whooole crew!

Attached Files:

16. PFF

PFF
    from UK

Jeem

Life is strange... I spent a few hours the other night looking for the same magazine. Problem is I just end up reading everyone I pick up :)
    If you do find yours please can you tell me what issues or dates there in and help speed up my search.
    Great to see the pictures and the link to the previous thread.

Thanks Pete

17. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that 46 had alot of influence on my old 41

Attached Files:

18. matt73

matt73
    from va

Went digging last night. Febuary 91 Street Rodder. Cool car and a big influence on me. Hope this helps. Would also be interested if there was anymore articles? Someone mentioned Rodders Digest?

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, it was in Rodder's Digest about a year later. Unfortunately, I share PFF's problem when it comes to research. I'll dig them out now that this has popped back up and see what I can find.

20. matt73

matt73
    from va

Cool man thanks!! Is the Rodders Digest article the one that shows front suspension pics? Really interested in the coil over axle setup. I know Fat Jack and Lil John did that alot. Seems to work good for gettin stuff on the ground.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

As far as I know the car wasn't on coil overs in the front. I'm pretty sure it was crossleaf up there with a dropped axle and dropped spindles made from AMC components.

22. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I was just with Pat all weekend at LARS. Yes, the car was on a crossleaf/axle/spindles. Rode in the car alot. It rode nice for being that low.

23. matt73

matt73
    from va

Street Rodder article said coil overs. Everything in the magazines is fact right? LOL!! Another reason why it sucks being on the wrong coast

24. ...among others. Pat's 46 legitimized the "driver/beater" style of car at the time.
    The Street Rodder article is one of my all-time favorite car features they ever did.It was still a coupe at that time.
    You couldn't meet a friendlier guy, or his friends; those guys knew how to have fun without spendin a lot of dough.
    His 46 will always be one of my favorites; whatever happed to it and what is he workin on now?

25. matt73

matt73
    from va

Absolutly a trend setter. Amazing that it has not gotten more recongnition recently since this look has become so popular. I was in high school when the Street Rodder came out and was floored. I put it up there with the Vern Luce Coupe

26. ...here's a sketch I did of Pat's coupe...
    [​IMG]

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

i asked the same question a moment ago on the other thread going on this one... What happened to it?

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I don't know...where'd you put it?

29. I think the majority of guys on the HAMB just don't get the impact that Pat's Rotund Roller had on hot rodding.

I look at those pics and the excitement I had when I first saw it comes rushing back.

It's weird, but there isn't that much in this world that gets to me like that thing did.

I mean, think of a world where primer was a "step" in the process of one day owning a painted car.

A world where cars like that got sand blasted.

A world where NOBODY would ever put a pic of a car with old paint on it in a magazine... unless is was in the "Early Iron" or "Rust in Pieces" section... IN THE BACK of the magazine.

A world where only painted, upholstered and chromed cars that had the LATEST gizmos were featured.

A world where old hot rods that survived were looked down upon and the ONLY question their owners were EVER asked were like "When are you going to fix that old hot rod up??" (by fellow hot rodders)

A world where young guys were embarassed (!) to drive their hot rods to car shows before they were done... I mean DONE to an extent that otehers deemed done...

THEN... the heavens opened up... and someone put pictures of Pat's car in a magazine... and showed us that you didn't have to have deep pockets to have fun with an old car.

Just find something for a grand... lower the shit out of it... slap a junk yard motor in it and drive half way across the United States!

Damn... it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

Mostly because just looking at those pics makes all those feelings come rushing back.

It really was a milestone car, guys.

Damn.

Sam

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  30. Sam freakin gets it!