Register now to get rid of these ads!

A horrible near miss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob68, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Rob68

Rob68

Today I had the day off, it being fathers day, so I decided to work on the truck. I have three kids ages 2, 7 and 9. Had the front end of the truck up on the jack and my 7 year old boy was hanging around checkin stuff out. I had the body up but the left front wheel was still on the ground and I decided to reposition the jack. I turned from left to right to lower the jack and as the truck settles (in like 4 seconds) I hear "OW! Dad!". I turned around faster than I've ever moved in my life and saw my boys head stuck between the tire and the fender lip!! All I can see are from his shoulders on down. HOLY SHIT! I didn't even have time to wonder if he was hurt or dead or what, when he just wiggled free with nothing more that a red ear and a bunch of tears. I lit into him with some choice words, hollered for his mom, explained to her what happened then went for a smoke too shake it off.
    Ultimately he was just scared and wouldn't talk to me for about 30 minutes but everything is good now. We had a little talk about safety and what could have happened. Of course being 7 he offered about half a dozen scenarios on what could have happened to him complete with graphic sounds and facial expressions.
    Hopefully lesson learned or BOTH of us.
    Just sayin, if your kids are around, BE AWARE OF WHERE THEY ARE!. It only took seconds for me NOT to look (because I wasn't even thinking that he would do something like sticking his head in there) and it could have been tragic.

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Glad he came out ok. It only takes a second! I have four running around now and have made them stand in a group, far away from the job, while doing things that can hurt them. I just cant keep two eyes on four kids. It takes a bunch of extra time but the kids are worth it!

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was close but a lesson learned. When you have kids it has to be automatic to know exactly where they are when you do anything around a car or in the shop.

I never had trouble with my first born son or my daughter wanting to play in the cars but my youngest now 28 was a different story. I learned real quick that I had to keep a close eye on him when he was little. He by the way just gave me a note in my father's day card for 40 hours of fabricating time on my 48 and he welds for a living.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Reading that made me cringe. Kids can get into trouble so quick, and even if you keep your eyes on them constantly they can still get one past you. Glad it turned out so well, and I bet your heart is still racing.

Don

6. I've got one who is pretty little still and always make him and his buddies stand where I can see them....far removed from the car, when I'm jacking it up or otherwise moving it.

Glad it all turned out ok.

7. badshifter

badshifter

Glad he's ok! I hope a hug or two came along with the choice words!

8. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

oh my god!! glad hes alright.. i have a harbor freight jack that slams down as soon as you twist the handle.. i catch myself telling others more about safety than what im doing lol.. once again, glad everything was alright in the end!!!

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I don't have children, but I've seen what they can get into. They move like little ningas. Quiet and quick.

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Mine are two and four and I make them stand and touch a wall on the far side of the garage if im moving the car or doing anything that could hurt them. Even then I'm incredibly paranoid if momma isn't around to keep them in line.

11. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Good news he is ok and only got a red ear out of the deal. My grand kids are always hanging in the shop with me and I try to be very alert as to what they are doing but you only got 2 eyes in the front of your head and can only hope you catch every thing they are doing....again good news.

12. I was 9 or 10 helping my dad work on his car, probably his '59 Chevy wagon. I volunteered to raise the bumper jack for him. I had it up a few clicks and the jack flew out and the top of the upright hits me in the face right under my eye. Very luckily it was only a bruise. Scared everybody that was there though including me. Hadn't thought of this in decades.

With my kids and any that were visiting, it was always safety first. When they saw me coming home, they all knew to clear the driveway and sit on the front stoop until I was out of the car. They were allowed to help me work on the car, but had to be out of the way when I was putting it on jackstands.

Bob

13. Scarry isn't it. The Ol' Man rolled an AC Cobra over my foot when I was a kid, after the good look at my foot I got the mega lecture about watching where I was at all the times in the shop I should have known better blah, blah. Then a smile as he said that he should have been watching as well and we should close the doors and go ride a roller coatser.

Gland it came out alright. Be careful man I don't want to hear that it was not a near miss.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

My kids (8 and 10) are banned from the garage when a car is lifted or when power tools or harsh chemicals are in use.

15. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

30 plus years ago I was helping my dad level the Shasta (1956 canned ham) and managed to put my hand on top of the support jack while my dad cranked the tongue jack. I remember it hurt so bad I couldn't hardly yell so I was "stuck" for what seemed like minutes before my dad figured out what was happening.

I probably could have done without the A$$ chewing I received for being stupid though :rolleyes:

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Good ending , i got twin girls & they don't hang out in the shop . Something to do with fingernails.
    B.B.

17. FatChrist Magic

FatChrist Magic

I'm glad you both are in good standing with your respective angels.

18. My dad was into building dune buggies in the 70's. We lived near South Padre Island and he scratch built his chassis, roll-cages, everything.

He had these big squishy tires on the rear with these paddle sort of things sticking out every 10 inches or so.

I was hanging around one day while he was firing it up for the first time and from what he told me later, he didn't even know I was in the area. Anyway, he backed the damn thing right over my legs with one of those big tires. I let out a yelp and he stopped before he ran over me with the front tire too.

Funny thing is that it didn't really hurt me at all. My legs managed to go right between the paddles on the tires. That combined with the overall softness of the tires created a pretty the ideal situation for sticking two little kid legs in there without harming them.

My angels and his where on duty that day.

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

DAMN!!!!!! ive got grandkids that come in to the shop when they are here. i make them sit at the desks, away from the cars. i gave each one a drawer to keep thier stuff in like coloring books etc.and thats where they will stay.if they get up from that desk out they go.im so glad things turned out as good as they did.i watched them pretty good before but after reading this im going to really watch them.now go hug that kid!!!!!

20. Dont blame the kid blame yourself n be happy all he got was a red ear outta the deal! you were a kid once n sure you got into a lil mischief yourself lesson learned!

21. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Same, mine are same age and yea I makem stand in the corner (or leave the garage) and watch if there is anything being moved or unsafe for them. I couldn't live with myself if they got hurt or worse from something easily preventable.

22. davidh73750

davidh73750

I know I've been scared with mine. I took the little one out of his car seat turned around and some teenage girl in a mustang went by us at 40mph. I gave her the nastiest look of anger. I saw her facial expression change when she saw my face like she was sorry.

last wk end when getting the 55 in tx I was going through a S-curve at 35mph. Some idiot redneck in a diesel 3/4 ton was going through it like it was a RX-7. We could see him about to come in our lane and lose it. Scared us both white! My boys were not with me but if they had been and no trailer behind I'd chased him down. parenthood does that too you.

I'm glad every thing ended well for all of you.

23. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

Glad your child is safe. I never let my 2 or 4 yr old in the garage while i'm working on my car. I'd be too busy keeping an eye on them the whole time than even doing any work.

24. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i called the girls this morning after reading this thread & ask them if they would help put the rear fenders on the '40.......they must have read it too ........no deal .
    b.b.

25. Snafu

Snafu

Everything happens quick, not just with kids or other people in the shop.

I was in the garage over the weekend working on my racecar. I crashed a few weeks earlier and I had it on my open trailer using it as a frame straightening "jig". Tongue jack on a block of wood and the wheels of the trailer were NOT chocked. I was squatting between the ramps of the trailer under the car. Squatting as if I was sitting on my heels with my knees up in the air. My knees were just just under a cross member of the trailer. I was pushing or pulling on something and shaking things around and I lost my balance. I tipped forward and kneeled on the ground. The same time I lost my balance the trailer rolled back and fell off the block. That cross member landed right on my thighs. If I didn't lose my balance it would have landed on my knees and crushed both my legs. My heart was racing after that. I was so mad at myself for doing something so stupid. I felt like such an idiot.

I put it back up on the block, chocked all the wheels and went in the house to watch TV for the weekend. I still cringe to think "what if".

26. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

out here in CT, a month ago we had a kid on a job site with dad, who was feeding branches into a woodchipper.

Yep, son tried to help dad...and in he went.

Its easy to say, but still...a babysitter is cheaper than watching your kid go in. Wait until they are older, to have 'em around to learn how to do things.

27. That was close to where my nephew lives... kid got hooked on a branch and never had a chance to escape. School was out for the day and he was giving his dad a hand. Don't get any worse than that.

Bob

28. davidh73750

davidh73750

went to move a 9N tractor. My son was fascinated by the pto and started walking closer until I yelled at him. Scary moment. Hug and kiss your kiddos.

29. Chevy48

Chevy48