Register now to get rid of these ads!

I never really believed that "barn finds" happened as frequently as they seem to...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RagtopBuick66, Mar 25, 2012.

1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Found a cheap fuel cell on CL, just waiting for a call back!
    Update;
    Got the call back, going to pick up my new 22 gal plastic fuel cell this afternoon. 50 bucks! Can't beat that for an unforeseen expense on a budget build, huh?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Scored a set of NOS Arthur Fulmer seat covers on evilBay... $20 (plus s/h)!!! These aren't those cheesy one size fits all covers that get strapped on and move around every time you shift you ass, either. These are custom fit for a '53-'54 Chevy 4-door and are attached with hogrings. So, there's my seats. Next, carpet and headliner...

Attached Files:

3. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

nice score bro. :cool:

4. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

"I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime... You'll know it's me when I come through your town..." - Johnny Cash

Some more pics from yesterday's festivities...
    Some of y'all might like where I'm going with this, some of y'all won't. Frankly, it's my fuckin' car... ;)LOL

Attached Files:

5. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Glad you got the charging system sorted out. I was going to suggest polarizing the generator. It has to be done when ever you change the battery or gen. Went through a couple batteries on an old Harley before someone told me how to do it.

Cool score. I am envious a little bit.

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Yeah, I am TOTALLY new to these 6V systems, and I think that if I had polarized the stupid regulator from the get-go I probably would have been fine with the original Delco genny. BUT, having changed out to the MOPAR genny from the '52 Chrysler, I figured it would be a good idea to use the VR from the Chrysler as well, due to the whole pos/neg ground systems thing. The Chrysler was a pos ground, whereas the Chev is a neg ground. Besides, the VR from the Chrysler is BRAND NEW. I had a little more faith that it would work, especially if I end up keeping the 6V system for as long as it'll take me to save up for the conversion.

I appreciate the comment about it being a cool score. I was "eh, sorta" digging it when I picked it up, since I really wanted a 49-52 4-door, but it has grown on me immensely, and I look forward to having something cool to look at and fun to drive when it's all done.

7. Gromit

Gromit

Keystones? I think they are stamped steel...

8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Whomever made them (and Keystone might just be a good bet), I personally think they're made just as well as the Cragar counterpart, possibly better! As you can see in the pics, they are in fact stamped steel... and THICK steel at that! The Cragar S/S was cast, right?

I still can't figure out the center caps though. Had two "international" caps out of three present. The third was a Cragar cap, but, well, we know differently about that one at least. I can't find much on an "International Wheel Company", though I've seen a few center caps for sale on "the bay".

Regardless of who made them, I really like them on the car and I'll never complain about a set of almost new-looking S/S knockoffs with usable rubber for a hundred bucks. And since they were as inexpensive as they were, it wouldn't have broken my heart any if my "home-brewed" fatty WWs hadn't turned out right. Can't think of a better tire to practice on, huh? I couldn't help myself. I had read enough threads on here about how guys have done it, I just had to give it a try myself. Still need to smooth out a few notches in the WW where the disc bit a little deeper, but overall I'm digging the look.

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Just picked up my new fuel cell! Brand new never used poly. Guy said he had it out in his barn for the past 15 years. (Barn find? LOL) Fifty bucks off of Craigslist! And, I should be able to mount it in place of the original tank with a little modification. It's about 2 inches wider than the stock tank, 9.5 inches narrower (front to back), and 2.5 inches taller. Have to wait until Tuesday to find out for sure though. Worst case scenario, it'll go in the trunk until I can dig up the cash for a reproduction tank.

Hoping this works, since my next "big" expense was going to be the carpet ($170), which will have to wait if I need to buy a new tank.

Attached Files:

10. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Some more pics from yesterday's festivities...
    Some of y'all might like where I'm going with this, some of y'all won't. Frankly, it's my fuckin' car... LOL

BAM!

11. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL... Liked that, huh? Please know that I said that completely toungue-in-cheek. If I'm fuckin' up, call me on it! Throw me some alternate suggestions! Tell me what you would do! But at the end of the day, if I've got my mind set on something, and I've decided I like it, well, it is my car and I'm going to build it the way I want it. But I do appreciate comments and suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  12. Moose223

Moose223

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

And a Merry Go Fuck Yourself to you, sir! Remind me to check out YOUR build thread later...

Update; Just checked. You haven't got one. In fact, I pulled up all your whopping 138 comments you've submitted to this site since 2007. Takes a while for you to formulate a thought apparently, huh little guy? I was unable to find even one helpful or knowledgeable comment. Lots of "Yeah, me too" and "I agree with that", but nothing that shows any amount of creativity, originality, or intellect. And you want to knock someone else's thread? YOU are a small small person, dude.

Now go play with your toys and let the big people talk for a minute... We're trying to put a 60 year old car back on the road after 26 years of sitting.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  14. cw1949

cw1949

Thats funny about your seat covers, I just bought the same set from the same guy in red and white for my 2 door on friday. I can't wait to get them on. Like i said before, good work.

15. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

They're in great condition, so you wont be disappointed. I was a little surprised by the material used on my set, but nothing I can't work around. Yours may be different. I saw those the same time I found mine. They're going to look awesome on that red car! I should get around to fit testing them tomorrow, but I won't be doing the actual install for a while. I still need to cut some new foam and half-ass wrap the seat with some black vinyl, since the covers are actually cross-stitched strips of material, and you'll be able to see whatever is beneath. No biggie. Just a little more work if I want to do it right.

16. cw1949

cw1949

I need to totally rebuild my seats too, I have no material or padding on mine at all. I got them to be a temporary fix for a while then use them a basic pattern to do my own when I figure out what colors I'll go with. Throw up a picture when you get them test fit, I'd like to see how they look.

17. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Will do! On a side note, I decided to put in a bid on a NOS 1958 Pontiac black front/rear carpet set I came across on evilbay too. I know, I know... not even close. BUT, for $24 I decided to give it a shot. Who knows, a little trim here and there, a few feet of Instabind, a heatgun, some 3M spray adhesive, I might be able to make a working '53 210 moredoor carpet. After all, this IS a budget build, and I couldn't get that much flat automotive carpet for $24, so why not give it a shot.

18. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

You're going to do all right here. You're open to suggestions, can take helpful criticism, and can shovel it with the best of 'em. For my 2 cents, I'd pass on the satin black. It's just been done to DEATH on anything with 4 wheels by someone who's trying to fit in. I just saw a brand new Camaro done that way, and I've seen a PT Cruiser with it, AND the obligatory red rims. Turns my stomach. But if it turns your crank, more power to ya'. It's about having fun with YOUR car. I originally thought the Turbine rims were too new for that body, then they started to grow on me and I was kinda' liking them on it. I think I can even remember a yellow '54 with them. But you cant go wrong with Cragar's, or Cragar clones.
    2 more cents, I'd swap the tail lights to '54 Chevy's, they just look more swoopy, and swap out the grille. It's just me, but I'm not crazy about that year grille. Then again, that's just me. Enjoy YOUR ride.

19. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Thanks man! I appreciate the suggestions. I passed on the turbines for one main reason; I really wanted a set of matching rubber, and it was only going to be more difficult with mismatched front and rears. I might still work on a set of tires for the turbines, just to keep the set out in the shed, and if I'm feeling "squirrely" one day I can always go out to the driveway and swap 'em on for a change of pace.

I've actually got about a half dozen sets of wheels I've picked up for the old '53, so I'm never short of options. I even refinished a full set (with 5th matching spare) of the original steelies, shot in gloss black epoxy paint, and complete with gold stripes, original dog dish stainless hubcaps, original stainless beauty rings, AND a set of vintage NOS "hole covers" which fit into the slots and are held in place by the beauty ring. So I've always got the "traditional" option if I choose, too. I just kinda dig the pseudo-Cragars. ;)

As for the paint job, well, the only person I've shared my idea with here on the HAMB is Gromit, and I hope he doesn't let the cat out of the bag. I've decided to keep that one a surprise, just because I've NEVER seen it done before, I don't know how it will turn out, and I don't know how it will be received. So rather than hinting at it, or telling anyone about it, or Photoshopping it, I'm just gonna DO it. Believe me, if it works out the way it does in my head, it is going to be a REAL head-turner. It'll be a while before I get to that point, but when I do it's going to be all or nothing, so the progress should be pretty quick. Hint, it ain't any shade of black, per se...

I'm not trying to fit in. I'm trying to stand out. But in doing so, I'm trying very hard to do it the right way. If I throw something out in a thread and it gets flamed, I reconsider. I take into account WHY it got flamed. If it's just because someone doesn't "like" it, well, fugg'em. If it's because it just a DUMB idea, well, that holds a little more water and I'll regroup and come up with something else.

I'm a poor boy, and while my cars are about the only thing I own bought outright and don't owe anybody shit for, the needs of my family will always come first. That being said, I've gotten REAL good at finding what I need on the cheap. Shit, so far I've got seat upholstery and a carpet for under fifty bucks! I've already started on the door panels, and I've got around $20 into the set of four. If I could score a cheap headliner, this car could end up being the nicest budget built car I've ever done, coming in at under $1500 total.

Thanks for all the comments and advice, and I hope you'll continue to ride along with me checking out the scenery as I drive. It's up to you to point out the potholes, and if you see a good bar, well, the first round is on me. :D

20. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Kinda think Im liking this guy!

I actually havent checked out this thread since your original post. I am balls deep in a thrash on my 53 chevy hardtop. Not near as nice as what you are starting with. Right now I am replacing flooroards. THink in another month im going to post all my pics in a build thread, and act like it was a weekend worth of work :D

Keep up the good work!

21. fbama73

fbama73

You can step away for a bit and still be OK. It's kind of like a "Hall Pass."

I've still got FE parts sitting on the bench. They're just for a future build.

I'm really liking this car, the OP and the thread (well, after the three pages of people bitching about him saying R** R** after he apologized and said he wouldn't use the term any more)

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Thanks man! And welcome to my little thread. Yeah, THAT was a real foot-in-mouth moment. I was severely flogged for it, and these days I won't even ask for rat traps out at the hardware store... I now buy "mild custom" traps. :D

23. shifflett

shifflett

I dont know if you have found the brake switch but its under the driverside floor board right underneath the brake pedal also nice build i have a 53 150 2 door

24. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Yessir! Found it, removed it, replaced it, but thank you for taking a minute to let me know that. I wasn't really looking for a 53 when I got the car, but it has grown on me like no other car has. I love the 150 too! Little back window or big curved on like I have?

Funny thing is, after I replaced it, if you pushed down on the pedal the lights would come on as they are supposed to, but when you let up on the pedal, it wasn't returning far enough to raise the arm on the switch, thus turning the lights back off. I may as well include this as part of my build thread for future reference;

I adjusted the cam bolt on the pedal linkage, tried putting a sleeve of fuel line over the throw arm, even tried carefully "adjusting" the throw arm by tweaking it downward. The brake lights still wouldn't go out. Then I noticed a small hole in the brake pedal linkage, just above where the brake pedal linkage attaches to the master cylinder, and it got me thinking. Because of the type of hole it is, I wondered if there was a return spring that might supposed to be there but wasn't. So I looked around for any signs of anywhere to hook the other end of a spring.

Long story short, I don't know if it had a return spring on it originally, but it does now. I ended up drilling a 1/32" hole straight up through the lip of the frame and used a leftover brake spring that was laying around the shop from another job. I also put the new switch on a 1/4" spacer between the body and its mount, thus moving the throw arm down a little as well. Whether it was one or the other, or a combination of the two, it worked great and I now have working brake lights. :D

25. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

The '53 made it home Tuesday afternoon. Again, my wife knew nothing about the car, so I was worried about what her reaction was going to be...

Thankfully, she though the car was really cool, and immediately started snapping pictures from every angle. She's a professional photographer/graphic designer/web developer/social media marketer/etc., so the pics so far have come out great! See? Who needs paint and bodywork if your photographer wife can make it look good in a fraction of the time? Lol :eek:

Attached Files:

26. shifflett

shifflett

Its the small back window i think all 150 had small ones and your right it had a return spring

27. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Interesting. One end obviously attached to the brake pedal linkage, but where did the other end attach? Originally? I've got it all figured out now, and I'm not one for fixing something that's not broken, but I still gotta wonder where the other end went.

As for the small back window, there's another guy on here building a 150 with the small back window, and I think someone in his thread commented that that was a rarity for '53. Something about it being an early 53 production because they eventually went with the big curved back window shortly into 53. I may be wrong, I may have misread something. Either way, awesome car.

28. shifflett

shifflett

Id have to get back under there to remeber where it hooks and when i get to the house im gonna upliad a oic of mine to show you if you wanna check it out and im not real sure on the window deal if i do have a rare one thats more exciting for me

29. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

30. shifflett

shifflett

Yea i read that thread thats how i found yours i love me some 53s