Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patina Aguilera

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooch, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that is a pretty bitchin wagon. I'd rock it.

2. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

that wagon is awesome.. now get to work on that damn truck!

3. slammed

slammed

Looking back again, he is a newbie that needed a nudge in the right direction for this site. And the 'lay-frame' was a photoshop maybe deal. But getting this aired (!) out will help in the long run of putting the criteria up front! It has been over due.

4. crapshoot

crapshoot

well said, could not have said it better....

5. uncle stretch

uncle stretch
    from texas

At 61 I was there and I have had several cars I built. I now have a 65 econoline truck. Lost my 48 ford coupe in my last divorce. Glad I didn't start a thread on my econoline. I didn't realize the site had a date to play. Kinda like trying to get a 50 something in the Street Rod Nationals....funny how that has even changed. Hey Hooch I know you will do what you want anyway. Life is too short to let other people tell you what it should be, and how you should do it.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

By all means do what you want, do what makes you happy, but don't expect it to be accepted here. It's pretty easy really. If it's doesn't meet the criteria here don't post it. No one is making anyone do anything.

7. derbydad276

derbydad276

cool truck.... but I would do it like a traditional shop truck / tow/ pusher
    id go with the caddy engine, my bet... its what farm boys would have done with it back in the day to make it move!
    drop it 3 or 4 inches dont drop it on the ground like a mini truck
    update the suspention and brakes
    do crown vic swap,fatman or MII / s 10 blazer 10 bolt ,8.8 or a 9 inch
    dig up some old S/S cragars /ET slots or keystone classics

I dont dig or understand the rat /patina thing.... head down to tractor supply and pick up some john deere green or I/H red and shoot it your self in the garage drivers dont need perfect bodies or perfect paint

and DRIVE THE PISS OUT OF IT!!!

8. 55nailhead

55nailhead

I agree with all that! except for the part about putting Deere green on a Cornbinder:eek: :D

9. Goodlife

Goodlife

Some of the replys on here remind of what happened to the poor dude that got out of step in boot camp.Some NASTY D.I. was right there to set him straight. Imagination strictly discouraged, march only to our drum or be gone you fng. Don't you know crotchety old guys rule.

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

The only thing is if you are marching it has to be to a certain beat or it's no longer marching. That's why marching bands generally don't play hip-hop. This place has a very well-defined drumbeat.Why is that a bad thing?
    Paul

11. I'd Brillo it, spray fish oil all over it, then follow that up with WD40, wipe it off, then wipe it in fish oil again, and rub that a bit with clean rags. Patina and $$$ saved for real paint.

The ground scrape thing is wanky in my world.

Function over form every time for me.

I'd be looking for spiritual, rather than material, evidence of HAMB relevance. This truck'll be cool if it goes good & ain't dragging on the ground. Then again, that's cool in some places.

12. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I thought about the same thread as soon as ive seen the truck :).
    The stuff that guy used actually got rid of most of the surface rust if not all of it, even showing some of the og paint back up. Amazing to say the least.

Weird for me to say, but it looks a lot better.

I thought this forum was about cars.
    It hardly is anymore.

Hooch, im on the cycle forum as well, same username, gonna check that wagon out. I just picked up a small lawnmower type petrol engine that might serve the cause :)

13. Gromit

Gromit

Excellent point :) I like the way the truck looks, specifically the old worn faded paint. As for not being a painter.. well Neither am I and I just painted my wagon to hide the rusty crummy paint of the P.O. all it takes is a paint gun, a half gallon of Rustoleum/Tremclad and guts (or was that foolishness.. fine line..). In my case the car couldn't look worse than it did. Do whatcha want but preserve that truck. I think it's really cool looking

14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I just turned 38 last week. I was born in 1974. I've been into hot rods and customs since I was about 14. Until circa 1998 I didn't have the internet to refer to, nor did I have a world-wide bank of incredible knowledge to tap into for advice. I just "did" it. I didn't know what "traditional" was since I wasn't there to witness it.

In the past few weeks I've seen quite a few threads asking "Are we (hotrodders) a dying breed", "What am I going to do with my stuff after I'm dead", and "Who's gonna take up the wrench when I'm gone" type posts... So there seems to be a concern that the art of the "traditional" hot rod is fading into the past. My responses have always been along the lines of "not if we all just teach just one kid..." or something along that line. Yet it seems like every time I see a kid with an interest in a classic car (or truck) and he takes the initiative to save it from the crusher, he gets shot down as soon as he posts his plans for the car because it isn't "the way it was in the 50s and 60s."

How on Earth would HE know that? HE wasn't there! So rather than telling him to get that non-traditional, bagged, slammed, patinaed, IFS POS off of a "traditional" hot rod site, try saying something to the effect of "Son, if you're looking to keep it a traditional hot rod, you might consider (insert traditional here) instead of (insert new thinking here)." Explain what this board is about, and exactly what "traditional" is to YOU, as a traditional builder.

I used to think the "hot rodders" would never die off. I still do. The desire and urge to take something old and make it new again will never end. But with technology and newer parts as what they have to work with, the hot rodder is going to have to evolve, not out of choice but out of necessity. What is going to die off is the "traditional" hot rodder, and it will be by their own hand. Discouraging a build, or advising that someone go elsewhere because their 24-year-old view of their new car isn't something that you would have seen when you were 24 in 1950 isn't going to encourage new traditional rodders. They (we) weren't there. They (we) didn't see what you saw, drive what you drove, or go where you've been.

If I asked you to build me a Civil War cannon as it was built, but you've never seen one and you weren't there (except maybe PorkNBeaner, Happy Birthday bud), and all I gave you were the dimensions and a grainy photograph, I can only assume you would try to use the best materials you could, since, well, it's a friggin' cannon, and fragged shrapnel sucks.

I guess my point is, if you want to develop traditional rodders, make traditional suggestions. Paint them a picture of how it was. Don't flame them because pickups weren't hot rodded, and frames weren't bagged, and fans weren't electrical. They (we) don't know, we weren't there. If you keep telling people to go to another site where it is acceptable, eventually there will be just one old guy sitting at his computer, logged in to the HAMB starting threads like "Hello? Is anybody out there building anything? Anyone?"

15. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

16. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im pretty sure most will be happy about this.

17. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Well, the original poster didn't take offence, is still around and seems to be learning quite nicely by the looks of his reviewed photo shop.
    What's the problem?

18. schpud

schpud
    from ME

I don't get why the thread police are all over this. I've seen many slammed pick up trucks on this site, half the c10s or f100s here are as low as that photoshop. I've also seen tons of threads where people cleared over rust and everyone was saying wow looks great. It looks like plenty of cars I've seen on this site.

And as to arguing what's traditional, how many people back in "the day" did you see driving slammed wagons, four doors, dump trucks, fire trucks, buses, etc. All vehicles I've seen on this site. Hell, I've posted a bunch of threads about my Rambler and no one said anything. Is there any thing traditional hot rod about an AMC Ambassador? Back in "the day" it probably would never be hot rodded, it was the hot rodders grandfathers car. But it's pre 64 though and no ones ever said a thing. It just seems like OP is getting jumped on because he's not an alliance member with 4k posts, when I've definitely seen cars just like what he posted on this site many many times before.

19. Gromit

Gromit

20. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

No, I'm glad he didn't take offence. I think it's a really cool truck, and I'd love to see where he goes with it. My comment was more or less about some of the tones taken in response to his truck, not so much about the comments themselves. Traditional is traditional, and this site is about traditional. Understood. But teach 'em, don't run 'em off. That's all I was saying.

21. I love the body style, I think it would make one really cool looking mild custom. I am not a fan of the patina look, but it isn't my truck. That front end looks custom as it sits. Can't you just see it lowered a few inches, running chrome reversed on skinny whites, with a candy or pearl paint job? SWEET!

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

rag, you bring up a good point. in my shop im a asshole.plain and simple. i know i am .but the boys know what i am trying to get them to do or see.because they are there looking at me. they can see my expressions when im talking, but on here they cant. when i write something i quess they would be able to understanmd what im saying.but without the expressions i make i know it seems im being a asshole again.i try not to rag on(sorry) someone elses car or truck. so when i tell them it dont fit in here i should use a little more tact.my wife has been on my ass for 34 yrs about being so blunt with people.so did my dad up till he died. he used to tell me the old addage you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinager. always knew it just never praticed it.there are alot of people like that on the hamb. but all in all most of them are right.i quess you dont have to hurt somebodies feelings to make them see the light.i will really try to be more tactful in the future but it will still not change history.we also build old school( notice the spelling of that statement lol) bobbers and choppers but i dont bring them to the table here because they just dont belong.ah the hell with it you know what im trying to say. lol

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

you may see them all over the place here, but that doesn't mean they belong. it means there is a pervasive number of people who don't get what this place used to be about.

i like the truck. i used to have a '60. i planned to lower it a little but not too much. if you take a '59 or '60 and plan to make it, you know, actually traditional, you limit yourself to parts and aesthetics between date of manufacture and '64. lowered, painted, wheels and tires, maybe some tuck and roll, done. keep it simple.

if what you want to do is reinvent tradition, by all means, do it. it's just that the HAMB isn't the place for it.

why is that so hard to understand? why is the HAMB suddenly the pacifying binky for all the rat rod babies with a need for universal acceptance? we aren't your daddies.

and being old has nothing to do with it. i was born well after the cut-off date, so i was never there. but i can look at pictures and see what was. it isn't that hard to understand.

i'm done. really. done.

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

CLR it, get it rolling and stopping well, up the HP a bit and put a piece of lumber up front and a hitch out back and you've got a great little salt or drag strip tow/push vehicle.

Aside from all that's said in previous posts, I'm surprised no one commented on the "name." It's a little silly.

25. Gromit

Gromit

I think the name is hillarious. Don't take it too seriously...

Still really diggin the CLR.. gotta find a real rusty pos to try that on. I don't think I'd use glossy clear though.

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah, thats the thread we were reffering to earlier.
    That guy did an outstanding job, and turned the car from a rusty lookin pos to a rather nice survivor lookin wagon.
    Im all for nice paint, really, i only run in primer cause its unfinished, but that is something i would keep as is. The 61 wagon not the truck.

27. Hooch

Hooch
    from Iowa

I am building a rusty binder :D

28. Nice Beater,the tin on the old Binders are super thick! Have fun.

29. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

Love the truck. Don't let the trad police discourage or run you off. I'm 65 so I LIVED THROUGH THE DAY. Traditional is great, I have one with a nice paint job. I also have a patina vehicle. Actually I have more fun with it. If everything on here fit into the "RULES" it would be pretty boring.

30. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

It's PORKNBEANER's birthday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.