Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build on my 51 mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigbopper51, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Well today I started the part I was gonna put off until the end of summer... But I HATE the tear drop headlights. I figured I will need new fenders after grinding 15647 gallons of bondo but I can work it I hope.. Never built my own but got my ole man who has!!! So here are neat pics of my bought not built Merc:/

Attached Files:

2. ...

Attached Files:

3. Anyone know the stock size sheet metal gauge I need to use?? Thanks

4. hvychvy

hvychvy

Should be around 18 ga. Keep plugging man, I think you can save those for shure!

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Yea, I'd do 18 gauge.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's an improvement already. It looks like someone decided that they wanted to make the already frenched headlights look like they had 53 Buick head light doors on them.

here you go, a bit of inspiration. The photo's a bit old as my son is now 28 years old. I sold the Merc about 18 years ago after saying I would never sell it.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      152.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  7. It takes a lot of work to make something look that stupid. :eek: Great job on cutting those things off. :D

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

The fenders will probably be fine after you cut all that crap off. Stock sheetmetal is 19 ga. If you can't use that use 18ga.

9. Good start! Looks like someone worked real hard to make something that really didn't work out in the end.

10. I agree doc.. Both sides were full of water.. So glad I caught it now

11. I'll be subscribing to this rebuild! I think you have a good start. Good luck...

12. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Amazing what a bucket of "mud" can hide and some shiny paint. Keep diggin!

13. Can someone post a stock fender pic of the front where core and fender and everything meet so I know where to cut

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice looking project , thank god you axed those fugly head light surrounds

15. What the hell.... Might as well do it the right way the first time huh!???? Found MORE. Rot covered by TAR

Attached Files:

16. How should I go about replacing inner rockers??

17. Are the outer rockers bad, too, or is it just parts of the inner that's rusted out? Because its best to do them one at a time depending on how your floor braces look. Are they rusted out also, or are those still in good shape? Because if the brace ends where they weld up to the inner rockers are still good, then you don't have to brace that side of the car when you cut the old one out. I, personally, would only cut the old one out if the whole thing was bad just like what is on my '50 Ford. I've got to cut both out and replace them, but I'll be alright with the car not flexing because I'm going to cut one side off and replace it before I move to the other side while the car is still bolted to the frame. My job is made easier, though, because my car hasn't been chopped yet and the floors are still good. You might consider bracing each side before you cut the inner rocker out since your car has been chopped and you don't know how well it was welded back together. I don't know if you know it, but Mac's Antique Auto Parts carries new replacements. If it's just places on the inner rocker that are rusted out where a patch would suffice, go ahead and burn one in, prime it, and forget it. It all depends upon how it looks and what you want to do.

18. I'll get pics.. Guy before me f Ed this car up.. New outer rockers but installed shitty

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

if you need pics of inner rockers i have a few that i took along the way on some builds.

20. Please post pics Matt.. That would be great , thank u very much!

21. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

here ya goo. if ya need some measurements or anything i let me know.

Attached Files:

22. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

the inner rocks are part of the floor board, so most the time you have to figure out how you want to attach them. i have issues so i like everthing to look original:rolleyes:

23. Wow thanks a million Matt... Can't wait to see what I'm in for !!!

24. ...

Attached Files:

25. spiders web

spiders web

I want a merc soooooo baaaaad!!

26. Can anyone tell me a place to get like a bolt kit for the front clip and hood and such??

27. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit