Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Race Stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BottleBob, Jan 10, 2009.

1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

.......or "The old Man".

2. 4406

from Oklahoma

Saw Bottle Bob with a stop watch on Wentworth timing a buddie of mine,while he was racing. I asked him how acurate that he was doing that. He told me what Pats car ran, and he was only .20 off

3. BottleBob

BottleBob

4406:

You caught me in my timer phase. :) I outlined the use of the digital stopwatch in post #144 of this thread. And like I mentioned there, I didn't really use the timer for a very long period of time.
    Did you and I ever race?

4. 4406

from Oklahoma

No we never raced. I saw you race a few times. I used to call you the mad proffessor,you always looked like you were calculating something in your head.LOL. Your car was always great to watch.

5. JUSTLOOKIN

JUSTLOOKIN
    from SFV

Great thread! Brings back alot of memories! Did Groucho ever get rid of his perm? :D

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

This was 2 years ago at the March Meet @ Famoso.
    IMG_0419.jpg

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Oh, for those of you who have never met "Bottle Bob", I took the wife to Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake to meet him. She asked me what he looked like so I scribbled on a piece of paper. She took it with her, walked around and found Bob.
    BottleBob.jpg

8. 4406

from Oklahoma

Thats him!!

9. Anybody read this months Hot Rod interview with Larry Dixon? He says the last time he remembers being intimidated by another racer was when he street raced a guy named "Bottle Bob". That is too cool...........Bottle Bob your the man!

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yes, I read that and laughed outloud.

A pal of mine from Chicago was in Cali during the heyday and got to know Groucho and Bottle Bob pretty well.

He was telling me stories at World of Wheels.

the world is pretty small some days

BB is the MAN!

11. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Mark?

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yup, Mark Pappas.

He was playing semi-pro hockey at the time

13. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Small world, huh? I remember when Mark was in SoCal with his Chevelle in the 80's. He'd come to my shop and hang out

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Mark and I race with the Midwest Gassers. Mark has a Corvette and a Willys. He is also into Nostalgia Prostock with a 1980 Grumpy Jenkins Camaro tribute. He just finished the Grumpy's Toy IV Camaro tribute and just bought the REAL Grumpy's Toy X Vega and will be restoring it. He is a very successful fresh produce broker in the Chicago area. We race at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI.

15. Smokey2

Smokey2

Sis, sorry your first post had to be about your Loss.

I lost two aquaintances via, Street Racing...........
    One, my sisters Boyfriend.
    How I made ?
    I don't know............
    I had Fast Cars, and, A Repuation !
    Lucily, My Sons never followed in my Footsteps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We worked at Night, an Never told anyone,
    What WE DID ! :D

16. 4406

from Oklahoma

R.I.P. Big Willie

17. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Man, you guys certainly lived more exciting lives than I did. I don't think there really was any major street racing scene near me, just the occasional late night stoplight battle. Not that my 305 Trans Am was worth the risk anyway

18. enzo

enzo
    from CA

hey fact checker - I think you are allowed to let the fish get bigger after 20 years... yep we took all of his money too! In fact I ended up buying that car from him shortly after that. I had a lot of respect for Carlos, he was basically an uncle to me and he gave me my first ride when I was 9 years old... in the RED 68 - hence the bug bit me then. Carlos knows the story and I do too - the nitrous was hidden and we won - twice - even afer you guys heard it squeezing on the first pass. But dont get it twisted... it may have had a hitch, but that car ran 114 through the mufflers at Pomona when I had it. Too bad you guys hold on to old sh**t. You know we were 17 years old when that went down right? Gotta love youngbloods taking money from the vets...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  19. 1972..I lived in a small town in northern Oregon but it had a great crusing scene and we'd accasionally go out "mill creek road" to street race. We were only good for one race because the locals would call the police.
    Willard had spent the whole afternoon tuning his 70 duster 340/4 speed...said he was dialing in the thremoquad with open headers. I drove a black 64 corvette coupe with a later 360 HP 327/4 speed and a 4.11 posi. It ran pretty strong.
    Willard found me downtown and wanted to race so we drove out mill creek and lined up. He had open headers so I couldn't hear my engine at all. We busted off the line and my car went 3 feet and luched to a stop....killed it on the line! He backed up and we went at it again but this time I got real aggressive and pulled out a half a fender ahead of him. He had gears in the 4s also so I just shifted when he did....couldn't hear my engine all capped up. {I had sneaker pipes but had to get under the car to uncork them and I wanted to go back to town to cruise after the race]
    He stayed right at the back of my fender all the way through the 1/4 and I got him....the road split about 1/2 mile further down the road and both forks went back to town so he took one and I took the other. I met the county cop coming the other way on my way back but I was all capped up and driving the speed limit. He never turned around and I kept going.
    Not very exciting but it was a good win for me. Everybody in town knew that 340 duster was fast and I beat him..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  20. joesimi

joesimi

Don't punk off your mouth, i was there , you didn't get my money, since your older and wiser lets set something up.

21. joesimi

joesimi

One other thing i forgot, Carlos posted his side of the story from my house a few months ago but it was removed by the board and mine might too. He had not nice things to say about you son. [email protected] here you go get the scoop and hash it out smart ass.

22. 4406

from Oklahoma

looks like Joe is ready to hand out a spanking.

23. joesimi

joesimi

Ray, im about to limber my fingers and write about my favorite race, racing a clapped out yellow v8 Vega(not Donnies) at Glen Oaks and Peoria.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  24. QB409

QB409

25. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Yellow Vega? Big tire car with big radiused rear wells? What year did it happen?

26. joesimi

joesimi

Well it could be the one, it had big rear tires but it wasn't tubbed, i think the were M/T 11.5 by 28" slicks that stuck out about 3" on each side, had no hood and was a aluminum headed small block. It wasn't Donnie's car but he was driving it and it was trailered.
    I would think it was about 1995? Well to make a long story short after hearing the endless anti chrysler commentary that mopars don't leave hard and don't do this or that from Donnie and wanting to race.

Well the car hooked very well on the street actually and i was ready to race that night looking for just a fair race, the car went a 11.17 at 121 thru the muffs at Terminal island just recentley and i figured i could just about run the same in the valley.

I had a few guys backing me, Carlos, big Beau and little Beau and Gary Hess. Donnie and his buddies, the blond guy who owned the Vega one was hot head Frank aka Wiggy, were just itching to get a race off and it was early in the night i think it was set up before 10 for $300.

We negotiated i think a car out and the go, as we all know thats how most wins happen is by jumping and being chased by the other guy. Like i said before they really wanted to get a early race off and settled on that race and i just wanted a fair race.

So we all go from Kevins burgers on DeSoto to the other end of the valley to Glen Oaks me driving and them trailering the Vega.

We get staged after some burn outs and Vht coatings, and lm ready to leave my buddy gary said donnie was trying to jump out or roll out in anticipation of me, well when he started to get a roll on me and realized i wasnt ready yet he stopped and thats when i left so, i did get a jump on him.

Well ill tell you i had maybee two cars on the Vega and just at the end the front bumper of the Vega was at about at my rear door , they were charging hard with id swear about 10mph on me but just ran out of real estate.

Well they did pay but wanted a re race then and there and i declined knowing that the were going to get the edge somehow if we reraced. That is one of my favorites.

Attached Files:

27. 4406

from Oklahoma

I think carnuba is thinking about that vega from North Hollywood in the early 80's. Groucho had it for awhile. That thing beat that green and white 55. The 55 beat Bottle Bob on woodley.It also gave Pat 5 in his Duster on glenoaks,and passed him in 2nd gear it was faaast.

28. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

That's the Vega I was talking about. It belonged to Mikey D for a while. I think that 55 was from Compton. Also, that Vega raced a big tire Mustang from Glendale(?) in the middle of the week at Woodman and Saticoy. Mikey liked to have a couple beers before racing. So, he did an over revving burnout........then during the race the Mustang was catching the Vega because the Vega was spinning a bearing. As the Mustang got near the Vega, the Vega pulled away and won. It turned out the driver of the Mustang let off at what HE thought was the finish line. A finish line about 200 feet shy of the actual finish.

29. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

That Vega must have been a POS if Groucho had it. Where is that asshat anyway. Oh yeah, he is banned. So much for his line of bullcrap. :)

30. enzo

enzo
    from CA

if your funds weren't in it - well then good for you, but money was exchanged that night and it all went in our direction. There were two races because apparantly Carlos' e-brake was still set or something... but nonethelss it did not go well for you guys that night. Look man, plain ol', my buddy was squeezing the crap out of that small block and I think it was a painful lesson that night. I'm not saying we owned Kevin's, all I'm saying is that it was a good night for a bunch of guys that were young enough to be your nephews. I am not really sure who YOU are, but we can hash it out, or race it out, or do whatever you want... but you will have to pick between my GMC truck or my wife's Ford FLEX 6 Cyl to race... because I kinda grew up, and all I came on here for was to relive my "glory days" by sharing a few stories. If you took offense to it, you should seek therapy, because this literally happened almost 20 years ago.
    With regards to Carlos... not sure what kind of smack he was talking - but like I said, he was like an uncle to me and I still have a lot of respect for him. But that night, he couldn't talk anymore crap about my Chevy or any other Chevy in our crew...
    My understanding is that he talks to my Dad, and they are both in Peru - so if there was anything that needed to be said, I would of heard about it. But he knows what happened, and apparantly so do you - otherwise, why would you be so upset right? You need to back off a little and go talk about someone you actually know... and also - I'm not your son - so don't call me that.