Register now to get rid of these ads!

clutch problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetwood, Jul 20, 2005.

1. fleetwood

fleetwood

Hey fellers, hope somebody can help me out. I've got a fresh built transmition, Ford 3 speed top load with new clutch and fresh ground pressure plate mated to a "50" merc mill. Problem is the clutch is not releasing all the way even with the lever maxed out. Any tips on adjusting the pressure plate or other suggestions to this problem.

thanks

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

are you sure you installed the clutch plate the right way?

3. PONY

PONY

As long as your getting good travel from your linkage set up, ( from what you said, you are) then your probably looking a a weak pressure plate. It can be checked by placing it on a flat plate in a press. I use a metal seal driver in place of the throw out bearing. Depress the seal driver as if it was the throw out bearing in the car and watch the plate. It should start to lift as the fingers are depressed. Weak plates are slow to react and don't move much. DO NOT depress the fingers more than about 1" - 1 1/2" as you can pop the fingers assembly over center (Big Bang!!) and life can get Real exciting. Like a lot of things this can be dangerous, So ware Saftey Glasses, gloves and Be Carefull. I've Never had a problem over the years doing this but there's always a first time..

4. fleetwood

fleetwood

I'll check that out. I didn't know there was a front and back side. What should I look for?

Thanks
    Fleetwood

5. fleetwood

fleetwood

Thanks for the tip. The whole plate assembly was rebuilt by a qualified shop but since it looks like I have to blow this thing appart I'll will give it your test. I'm wondering if the adjustments on the fingers need to be set to a custom spec. since I'm using engine and trans from different years, is this possible?
    Thanks,
    Fleetwood

6. av8jon

av8jon

I have a 49 Merc with 39 tranny with new clutch and pressure plate. I had exactly the same symptoms the first time I fired it. I called my flathead buddy and he said that his did the same thing when all new parts. He said to adjust all of the free play out and start it up and depress the clutch and very gently try to get it in third, not jam it in but just put a little pressure gear to gear and see if the clutch starts to slip. He said to be patient and keep trying gently and it'll finally go into high gear. When it finely went in 3rd I continued revving the engine and slipping the clutch. It took a good while but it continued to get easier. Once it went into third easier then I went to second and worked them a number of times and once in a while trying 1st and reverse. Finally it would go into 1st and reverse and I did the same drill of revving the engine and slipping the clutch. Then after a while it released and shifted without a problem. My buddy said ya just have to knock off the "hairs" on the clutch disk as they tend to be "grabby"! That was all new to me but It did just as he said. I had visions of pulling the engine also and I was really relieved that he had went through the same thing!

I'm not saying that you don't have a "real" problem! Just very gently try but don't force the issue if you don't feel progress.

I'm just passing on what worked for me and was instantly diagnosed by my buddy as he'd went through it on two new rods with flattys that he built.

If that solves it, then you can go back and add some "free" pedal travel just so the throwout bearing is of the pressure plate.

Hope this helps,

7. fleetwood

fleetwood

I just took the inspection cover off and took a look @ whats goin' on inside. I can see where the threaded ends of the adjusters (threaded buttons at the ends of the relaese levers) are rubbing on the clutch disc when the peddal is depressed. I'm gunna git the can opener & pop it open. I'll keep posting my progress so it's on file.
    Keep the suggestions comming!!!
    Fleetwood

8. Not sure if this will help your Ford; my 63 chevy half ton had a slipping clutch when I got it.

The pressure plate and disc were new and the flywheel was in good shape.

After a bit of dinking around with linkage, I found that Chevy's have throwout bearings with three different heights.
    I think I had the tallest one.
    The parts house guy told me about the different bearings and sold me the medium height throwout bearing which allowed full engagement of the clutch.
    Which is just one more reason to stay with a for-real parts house....:D

9. fleetwood

fleetwood

Thanks for that suggestion. I just got off the horn with the shop that rebuilt the plate & sold me the clutch disc. I had it put together correctly. I'm taking it in tomarrow morning to have them look at it. I'll also bring the bearing with me and ask him about it. I'll let ya'll know what the verdict is and maybe save somebody this kind of grief down the road.

Fleetwood

10. fleetwood

fleetwood

YAHOO!! IT WORKS!!

Finally got this figured out. I took the pressure plate and clutch disc to the shop. they tell me I got too thick a disc (make sure I spell that right). They rebuid it put new, thinner material on it. I get it back home, put it all back together and it still won't release. so I take back the flywheel, pressue plate, disc, and trans. They spent a few minutes on it and thought that the release bearing hub was hitting the disc hub and keeping it pressed against the flywheel. So they cut about 1/8 inch off the long side of the disc hub to give it the need space. It worked! So if any body runs into this problem here's another thing to check out.
    thanks for the responses guys.

11. av8jon

av8jon

Wow, what a relief that is for you, now ya can gitergoin!!:D
    Very Interesting and Thanks for the followup!