Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Packard - worth doing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boscosis, Jun 14, 2012.

1. boscosis

boscosis

I can pick up a '53 2-dr post Clipper from a buddy pretty cheap, real cheap. The car has been outside for probably 20 years or better. It's pretty straight and the floorboards are decent but it has rust in the quarters and under the side trim. Curved glass is intact but the windshield is frosty. It's an I-8 and 3 on the tree. Are there many parts available? Colllectibilty? Value? If I pick it up I'll probably swap in a 472/TH 400 that I already have. Is the I-8 worth a darn? Any info/opinion is appreciated.

2. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

3. terryble

terryble
    from canada

If the engine turns over and is rebuildable it is probably worth as much as the car without the engine.

4. GearRat

GearRat

Keep the engine! There is nothing cooler than a flat head straight 8. Parts are readily available for that car, from Kanter, Max Merritt, Tuscon Packard, etc. The I8 is a great engine, anyone and everyone has a V8 in their ride. The I8 is super smooth, and idles low, and has tremendous power on the lower rpm range. If you get that car be sure to join this site: http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/

Everything you could ever want to know can be answered there. I have a '52 200 Deluxe, and it is an awesome car, not worth much, but cool none the less. Look me up on Packardinfo if and when you join.

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The post 2-doors are scarce, but have relatively little collector interest or value. I think they're nice looking cars, though, and a mild custom would be very distinctive.

6. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

doooooo itttttt!

7. boscosis

boscosis

Damnit...........I'm trying to talk myself out of taking on another project. I might as well pick the thing up since I have to move it anyway. Other than the fact that the I8 looks awesome I know very little about them. Are there any inherent weaknesses on these motors - poor cooling, etc?

8. The engines are fine. Don't expect it to rev like a late Civic on squeeze and drive like it is a straight 8 packard. Packard made good engines that were dependabale when they were maintained properly, they made more torque than they needed to in most applications and the inline has a sound of its own.

The post car is going to be hard to replace but as someone has already pointed out they don't have a large following with the classis car collectors. That should be a moot point with us as we are not resorers we build rods and customs. If you can make a sweet cruiser out of it and be happy with a sweet cruiser than you are good to own it.

9. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

do you have any pics of it?

10. Fenders

Fenders

What he said. You think hot rods with an I6 are cool? A rod with an I8 are gonne be cooler !!!

11. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

shut up and buy it.

do you realy need to hear any more??

12. GearRat

GearRat

Those engine are tough, as long as you don't plan on racing Nascar, you will be fine. Being that it is a '53, I'm sure it has overdrive, so you can go highway speeds with no worry. I woke mine up from a 40 year hibernation, without having to re-build her. Some ATF to free up the pistons, new head gasket, good spark, gas, and proper timing, and she'll be singing. If you need anymore insight feel free to PM me. We both live in SA, so if you ever want to check out my '52, let me know.

-Garrett

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WTdzf6UO5g4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had 4 door Packards. And a 51 and a 52. Big parts support.
    Just jump on it.
    They are the best for long rides. So smoooothe.

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Grab it.... That should be a 359 cu.in. motor....and rather torquey....

4TTRUK

15. GearRat

GearRat

probably not a 359, more like a 288 or 327, but still very torquey.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  16. boscosis

boscosis

So I have the car in my hands; it's on the trailer at my parents house down the road. I plan to keep it as long as I can get the title - my buddy has it but some things have to be settled first for him. It should be no biggie but will take a month or so.
    Anyway, of course upon close inspection it does have a decent amount of rot in the body. It won't be my first time to deal with such a thing but it's the most extensive to this point. The car is complete except for the radiator (someone stole all of the radiators and catalytics from the spot it was sitting all these years), the grille medallion, and the hood ornament. It is an overdrive by the way.
    I'll get some pics tomorrow and Gear Rat I'll drop you a pm too. As a funny aside you guys have to understand that my Dad isn't real excited - we're Mopar guys for the most part (except for a '57 Coupe Deville) and part time/part time drag racers so this is a little out of the norm for me to deal with a flathead I-8.

17. Packards = class.

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A couple of additional factoids you may find interesting.

As Gear Rat pointed out above, Packard straight 8's of the era came in three displacements. Yours, as a stick shift 2-door, is probably a 288 or maybe a 327. The 359's and SOME of the 327's (as I understand it) are nine-main-bearing engines, while the 288's and the rest of the 327's make do with 5 mains. I have no idea about interchangeability of those engines, but I have been told that they are all incredibly heavy, so a swap may be daunting.

To help your dad's level of interest, you might want to tell him that a Frenchman named Jean Trevoux built a 7/8 scale, aluminum replica of a Packard 2-door, and ran it in the Carrera Panamericana back in the early '50s with a hopped up straight 8. Coupla pictures of Trevoux' car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've always thought that a tribute car for the street was a great idea, even full-sized and steel bodied.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you ever find a 54 in a junkyard look under the hood as it might have a 4 bbl.

21. My07Bobber

My07Bobber

What everyone else has said....My 51 Patrician 400 has the 9 main 327 with a 288 head. The 288 head gave it a "little" more horses. They are awesome cars and just scream custom........Partsa are readily available and 51 through 54 all have the basic front clips. Different trim packages and arangements but basically the same. I went to an all Packard meet in Salado this past April and out of 55+ cars, mine was the only 51 Patrician 400.........I was blown away by that. Seriously though, you won't be disappointed if you continue on with it.

22. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Worth doing for sure. Great cars.

23. I have a 327 cu. in. Packard inline 8 in my ratrod....those engines are worth a lot of $$$ to a collector or restorer....DON'T scrap the engine !!!...The trans is a jewel also...being used in lots of 50s drag racing cars...just as strong as the legendary Cad/LaSalle trans....by all means build the Packard !!