Register now to get rid of these ads!

26 Model T coupe info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChuckUFarley, Jun 16, 2012.

1. I have a friend who is looking at a '26 T coupe and he was asking questions that I don't have the answers to. So I figured what better place to ask than right here. First, when buying a car this old, if the owner says he has a title for it, how do you check that it is indeed for that car? Is there a VIN number anywhere on it or would there even be one? Another thing he wanted to know is what is the wheelbase of this car? Also, he was asking what the approximate curb weight of this car would be. He's planning on dropping an early Ford 312 into it. The rest of his plans call for a dropped front axle, a 9" out back (probably out of a 59 Ford Fairlane, as he has a rotted out one sitting around) and I'm not sure what trans he is going to use.

Don't ask me what he needs this info for, because frankly I don't know. He just doesn't have a computer and he wanted me to find out for him. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. rotenjon

rotenjon

1. There is no vin# but it does have a Ser# located on the left front frame rail.

2. Don't recall the wheel base off the top of my head.

3. My 27 coupe wieghs in around 2200 lb.

4. Do not use the stock frame ! It can't handle the wieght or power. Either buy or build a frame suitable for what he plans on using it for.

Just my .02 cents.

3. Thanks for the reply rotenjon. You said left front frame rail is where the serial # is, would that be looking from the front?

I am trying to convince him to channel the body over a 32 frame and box it. I have seen where others have done that successfully, just not sure on what mods need to be completed to do this. I'll definitely pass along any info I get and thanks again.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Setting in the drivers seat looking out the windshield.

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Wheelbase is 99 1/4"

6. Thanks for the info guys, I'm sure he'll really appreciate it.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tell him to consider a Model A frame: simple boxing with dropped tube crossmember and diagonal tubular legs (a 'K' member) will fit just excellent. Wheelbase can be adjusted, most popular method is stepping rear of frame 4" above rear axle.

Measure wheelbase accordingly, but common knowledge dictates some extra length in front to accomodate that Y block...(they're not 'Chevy-short'!)

8. Rogi

Rogi

If it still has the original engine, the serial number is on the drivers side of the block just above the water inlet.

9. From what he said, it's a rolling chassis with the body. No motor or trans. But he said it is really solid.

10. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

There is a T build link on here so he can see what some others are doing(he can use your computer right?).

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA