Register now to get rid of these ads!

hurst recaps traction compaired to mickeys Et DRAG tires???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tub in da dirt, Jun 14, 2012.

1. i am building a 39 ford drag car and i want to hang the hoops
    actually i want to carry the wheels high and far
    i like the Hurst tires pie crust slicks look, but i am wondering about how well they will function compaired to a ET drag tire
    supercharged 331 hemi with a th400
    anyone have any real world experiance as a comparison
    here is the original thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=679709

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't help you there with experience though there is an awful lot of technology that seperate those two tyres. One would expect the M/Ts to operate somewhat better.

Doc.

P.S. I gotta' see more of that 39!!

3. You're gonna need a hell of a lot of ass and a hell of a good tire to "hang the hoops" with that heavy metal! The Hurst tires are not going to do it.

4. thats what i was thinking on the tire
    also with the engine set back and a different rear suspension set up i think i can get it done
    tk

5. If you want to tote the front end you'll need some real slicks. My Hursts don't hook that well at all compared to the real slicks. I was running 7.30s or 40s in the eight on the hursts and just changing to the slicks put me in the 6.50 - 70s range smoking the hell out of the clutch.

6. Although I don't like the name, I'm running Hoosiers and they are a very sticky tire.

If you're lookin' to play "Sky Pilot" you may want to look into those.

7. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I will be of absolutely no help to you, but I love what your doing there. Reminds me of some of old AMT '40 sedan ktis that I built as a kid.

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you are certainly going to need modern compound to have enough bite to accomplish your task.

Check out the Phoenix racing slicks. They are the only "new" tire I know of that has a bit of a vintage vibe going. At least they look 60's to me.

and consider a trans brake, that will help hang your hoops.

9. t brake is on the agenda
    tk

10. You want a "traditional" looking car with a "traditional" looking tire but you're going to run a tranny brake?!?! :confused:

Sorry man but I say "Foot brake or no brake"!

They didn't have tranny brakes back in the day.

Real man use their left foot!

Hell you mind as well put a delay box in it too.

11. my goal isnt to be totally traditional
    my goal is to leave the line hard enough to have people in the stands say "holy shit did you see that green 39 LAUNCH"

i just like the look of the pie crust... and wanted to see if they would do the trick before i order something that will hinder my goal of big wheelies :)
    tk

12. You wanna give "fans" the wow factor, run a clutch driven Torque Flite. It'll feel like you got rear ended by an Amtrack and trust me, you'll be playin' Sky Pilot!

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Any car that large that can get the front tires off the ground will get the crowd going! I doubt they'll care if your tires are pie crust, or something more modern.

14. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I agree with the sentiment, but challenge the practicality. Back in the Day, there were no electronic ignitions, very few tachometers (and they were mechanical), no alternators, no after market shifters, no rev limiters, no electric fuel pumps, etc.

I love to see a truly traditional drag car, but feel there is no sense in focusing on being traditional if you can't go all the way.

look good, put on a show, have fun and BE SAFE!

16. The M/Ts will have more bite than the Hursts. Unless I am mistaken they are a radial so unless you have been playing the suspension game a long time you should consider building your suspension with a lot of adjustment. Radial drag tires are a completely different animal.

If it were my car and I wanted to launch it wheels up I probably wouldn't paint it green.

17. for now i am leaving the paint as is and just going out and running it
    it was just pulled out of a hay barn where it has rested since 72-73
    i need to redo the scoop, since its delaminating form the hood
    i'll make a metal one that matches it and weld it on
    tk

18. Well I no doubt am going to get this one wrong but is blue now isn't it?

If you hit the track with it in old paint and primered in places that is about as close to the majority of the low buck cars that got raced that I remember as you are going to get.

I like your plans by the way and hope that you achieve your goals.

19. no worries
    its actually green with a gold roof and white/silver frame/chassis
    and a tiki guy on the trunk
    drug????maybe
    [​IMG]

20. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

That sedan rules hard, how about a couple more pictures?

I too love the look of the Pie crust slicks but I have some serious doubts if you would be able to get them to hook good enough to pull the front wheels. In my opinion go with a newer style slick from M&H.

21. willys_truck

willys_truck

I would have to primer that trunk lid.

22. Love your car and hope to see more pictures. I think with the the engine set back you already have and the right chassis set up you should be able to pull a wheelie with either of those tires.(unless you have too much horsepower and overpower them) Maybe not a charge down the track wheelie but it should jerk the front wheels. Not sure what you have for traction bars but long ladder bars will help. Get some 90-10 front shocks and a real ballast bumper. Too bad it's not a 4 speed because the stored energy in a spinning (heavy) flywheel will make her jump when
    you dump the clutch. Lighten the front of the car as much as possible. You will find the weak links pretty quickly.

23. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

we get our M/T's for free...from someone who has cars running for points in division 7 ...if you are really serious M/T is used by some of the fastest small tire cars world wide..........wait until you are ready to run the car to buy the tires ...don't let the tires 'dry out & make sure you buy tires from someone that has fresh stock....

to see how my used mt slicks worked at the airfield at Eaglefield

visit a30gasser on youtube title Model A vs. Henry J Eagle Field 2012

Attached Files:

24. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

As for the Hurst slicks.... being they are recaps I serious doubt they would give you the "bite" you'll need get that "old gal" in the air.

I agree with what has been said above.... get a "sticky pair" of modern day slicks... paint a white "pie slice" on the sidewall to help give them an older look and use Hurst Pie Crust cheater slicks for street cruising.