Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Seret Special...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Gonna be cool.. I'm ready for some updates!!!! :)

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

4. I have been hanging for updates, Seret has some wicked talent. I have a 50s inspired sports car I have in the planning stages and Seret's build has definitely been an inspiration.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Matt sucks but his skills certainly don't! That's one of my most anticipated cars coming out. I'm going to offer him a song and a dance for it once it's finished :D

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Unfortunately Matt injured the tendons in his arm several months ago being all manly and rolling those huge aluminum panels by himself. Per doctors orders he's taking a break from that car, but he is rolling on a full road race roadster that requires less english-wheeling. I've discussed the roadster with him several times and we've stared at it throwing out ideas. This past weekend though, he showed me a bitchin sketch of the current direction. It will be badass!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  7. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Man, he has to finish this thing. It's so cool!

8. Brandi

Brandi

Matt is so damn talented it's crazy. I love watching his projects come together.

9. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

This is too damn cool....Matt is one talented dude.

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Hope he heals well, and gets it together at his own pace...it will be uber-kool !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

In my opinion matt is in the top ten working in the field of hot rods and customs. The guy has an unrelenting work ethic, amazing fab skills and a great eye for design as well. I'm glad you made this post jay.

12. sled56

sled56

So what hope have the rest of us mere mortals got? Talented man, right up there with the best of them by the look of his work. Great to see this in finished form.

13. seret

seret

Thanks Jay and the rest of you guys, It means allot to me that you like it. It’s the motivation I need To keep going on it. Nate top 10 might be a stretch Im not that good, maybe top 10000
    Like Kirk stated I did hurt my arm rolling out the back panels. I went to the doctor and I was told to take it easy or it could take 12 months plus to heal. So the bodywork is back on hold till my elbow gets better. In the meantime Im getting the Olds engine together.
    or should I say Im saving up to have Tony at Ross Racing build it!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  14. autobilly

autobilly

Some of you guys blow me away, beautiful!

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Matt's is awsome! Elpolacko has been gathering all the stuff to do a similar build, and I for one can't wait to see it get to the body makin' process... I have a feeling I'll be learning allot.

16. Bodger45

Bodger45

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmmmm.. Seret, El Polako, Jimmy B. There is already a HAMB drags, maybe we need a HAMB road race !

18. More than one of us have mentioned that!

Seret, killer car, get well soon. I have nursed some bad injuries myself. I fear I will need surgury on both hands in the future for torn tendons.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Woah, wait, races that go around corners? Good as any reason to get the Plymouth up again and out of Elpolacko's shop!!

20. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

This is one of my favorite builds on the HAMB - already a jaw dropper, and I can't wait to see it done!

21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Woah ! tell us more about the "Robacek I" Crosley powered?

[​IMG]

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

That would be killer!

23. Matt - I am super impressed. I think you are one of the top builders around. Opinions are just that and people can argue, but there is no arguing with the talent that you have. I love the early 50s specials. I help race a Devin for a friend and this looks like it will out pace that. Get better soon.

24. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

I believe that the Robacek I was Crosley-powered when built... it had acquired a modified Renault Dauphine engine by the time I got it. I didn't get the original motor with the car, but all clues point to it being a Crosley special.

The body is a FiberSport, built in Illinois by the Mays family. Father John Mays dominated midwest Hmod classes in the mid fifties with his Crosley-based FiberSport homebuilt. He also fielded a 'factory' team of Fibersports, which seems to have been a variety of homebuilt specials that he provided bodies for. There were two iterations of FS body styles: this one (later, circa '57) and an earlier slab-sided style that looks a bit like a tiny 120 Jag.

[​IMG]

I have been trying to definitively establish whether or not the chassis was built by the Mays family or someone else. Mays-built Fibersport frames were drilled channels known for flimsiness and lightness, neither of which applies to this frame - a beefy tube set up.

[​IMG]

All that said, there is mention of a tube-framed FiberSport being prepared by the Mays, but I have been unable to find any documentation on that car- just mentions in articles about FiberSport from the '50s.

Whether or not this is a true tube-framed FiberSport, or a homebuilt with a FiberSport body, it is RARE. As far as I can tell, there were a dozen or less FiberSport bodies made, with at least half being the earlier style, and very few have survived.

This one was active in the Chicago area in the early sixties and, as far as I can document, was last raced by Leo Lowy at Lyndale Farms Wisconsin in 1966. I think he blew the Dauphine engine at the race and it sat until I bought it from his widow about 4 years ago...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  25. seret

seret

WOW Crosleykook that is Awesome! and some great history

26. Yeah Croslykook, that is really cool. I love the front end.

27. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Thanks guys! It's a really neat car - it's cool enough that I'm hesitant to do to much to it until I know as much as I possibly can about the history.

To that end I've been making calls and writing letters to anybody with a connection to the story. John Mays died about 10 years ago, as did his son Bill, who helped a lot in the late fifties/early sixties. but, I have spoken extensively to John's older son Dave Mays who was really involved in the early days and also to his daughter Sandi who was pretty young but has a lot of memories. Super interesting family and I'm stoked to help preserve John Mays' little place in history.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

28. OhmDr

OhmDr
    from Illinois

About the time you wrote this, I made contact with a gentleman who was in high school at the time and helped with the Fibersports. They/He built one for himself and drove it to U of I (University of Illinois, Champaign, IL) in college. Unfortunately, I had to cut our conversation short the day he called me back, as I was working at a car show and had to do my job...
    He mentioned that he was not allowed to race the car in SCCA because of his age, but a well known (at least in this area), and experienced racer drove his car in a number of events. I immediately thougth of you and your car. Once I have a little time (probably this winter), I'll call him back and see if I can get more information about the car, and will ask if they built a tube chassis for it. - It would be really cool if this was his old car, or if he can tell us whos car it might have been. - I'll update you when I know more. ;)

29. SanfromFibersport

SanfromFibersport

I am really interested in this special - I am not familiar with Robak (?), but this does look like a Fibersport. Is this a new body - from an older one? My Dad built Fibersports - in Bloomington, IL - and I would really like to locate any Fibersports that are out there and can be located. My brother, David Mays may be able to document any that are found, since he was one who helped build both of the different body types.

SanfromFibersport:eek:

30. SanfromFibersport

SanfromFibersport

I would like to connect if this is in fact a Fibersport body. I believe that my brother could identify the frame for you if you like. I tried to save the photo to send it to him, but could not make it happen. He is not computer friendly to hunt for this... I'm not so at ease with it to move in and out of forums, either. I would like to talk about this car body... I have a Crosley HotShot, ut no Fibersport body. You are right that most of the frames were full of holes to make the cars lighter. Thanks, S Fodi