Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Henry J Value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1970malibu, Jun 8, 2012.

1. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

So I thought it's about time I get myself a HAMB friendly vehicle. There's this guy selling a 1951 Henry J no trunk model. It has no drivetrain or interior, basically a rolling shell. But it is original paint, says it's rust free but you can see a little bit of surface rust on it in the pics he sent me. Also it has new floors and new rockers installed along with all the original emblems and trim etc still on the car and a clean title. He wants $3000 firm and is going to keep it if it doesn't sell soon. Plan on looking at it on Sunday. Is this a good price for it? I plan on going over every inch of the car, looking over it really good. Kind of hard to compare the price with others as they don't really come up that often. Any thoughts?

2. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Floors and rockers are common rust problem area's on Henry J's. If the floor and rockers have been replaced already and the work was done right. I'd say $3000 is a fair price especially having the title, that saves alot of hassle. What are your plans with it?
    Gasser?

3. Brian is c lose of not right on the money here.

I would ad that original paint goes right out the window when it has surface rust and the rockers replaced. It is not a selling point for sure.

4. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

The rockers and floor haven't been painted since they were put in but the rest of the car is original paint. the surface rust is just a little on the tops of the fenders. My plans for it are probably a 350 but I do have a 454 laying around. Was thinking gasser but that's what everyone does with them. Not really sure exactly what I want to do with it but I have always wanted one.

5. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Was thinking of making it look like this one that a guy I know used t[​IMG]o own

6. cw1949

cw1949

I looked for a nice Henry J for years and I know the one your talking about. I think it's worth the money as long as it's as solid as they said. I would have jumped on it if I hadn't given up and bought my 54. I will get one some day.

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

right on the money, if as described

8. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I would say without seeing pictures that it's too much. I won't say how much I bought mine for but it was alot less and came with almost 2 of everything. It is the most solid one I have ever seen. The things that cost the most are windows, fenders,emblems, grille, hood ornements, dash parts and if you are going stock brake parts. It's hard to say without pictues. But it would have to be in killer shape for it to be worth it.They come up on evilbay all the time running driving ones for $3000-4500. I love Henry J's and have since I was little and it sucks but rare doesn't mean worth lots of money. The trunkless gloveboxless HJ was made the most of all the HJ's.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

original paint means there will be no suprises when it comes time for bodywork and paint. give me original paint and surface rust over a car in primer anyday.

10. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Well I went and looked at it on Sunday. Definitely not as described. Said it had no rust but the first thing I saw on it was a fist sized rust hole on the drivers front fender on the lower front. After looking over it, I found a few places where it's rotted out a little. Also said there was no body damage but yet there were 4 pretty descent sized dents on it along with a big crease on the drivers door from being opened too far. As far as the floors they were redone with square tube and sheet metal. Nice job actually but they also half-assed it in a few spots. Also they made the floor flat so whatever drive train you put in there the floors would need to be redone to fit the trans and drive shaft. Also 3 of the windows are broken. Overall it's a pretty solid car and is actually the original paint but still needs a ton of work. I don't think it's worth $3000. Made a much lower offer but I haven't heard back from him. Probably won't be getting a Henry J.

11. henryj429

henryj429

You've just shown (again) how important it is to see a car in person and why it is so often better to buy a rougher original car that is untouched. The car sounds more like $2000 to me. The last Henry I sold was $875 and it was all complete but had the typical rusted out floors and rockers. That was a few years back, but you should be able to get something similar today for $1500.

12. Old Racer 35

Old Racer 35
    from virginia

who knows 9 just went for scrap metal after va auction not to long ago !!!!!bac in april !

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There is a guy locally trying to sell a 1952 and he started at $ 5000 and is now down to $ 3900. I have seen this car at a local swap meet and it is NICE with a capital N. Super clean and it runs and drives, totally stock and unmolested. It is also a trunk model.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/2936310399.html

If I weren't knee deep in another project I would love to have this one.

Don

14. alumslot

alumslot

I bought mine a few months ago right here on the HAMB. Drove it home about 50 miles. Paid a little more than 2000.00 needs a complete rebuild but a good start.

Jim

Attached Files:

15. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

There is a guy up Zimmerman way, has one for sale with title
    for like $1100.....couldn't be any worse then the one you went
    and looked at...it was at the Princeton Swap a few weeks back

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm thinking that in today's soft car market the $ 3,000 he is asking might be too much. At one time maybe, but cars just are not moving like they were. The one I showed that is now down to $ 3900 has been for sale for a LONG time with no takers.

Don

17. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Thanks for mentioning this as the guy said he saw one at a recent swap meet in princeton that was a pile and the guy wanted $4000. Now I know this guy is full of bull shit.

Guess I'll just keep working on my other cars and keeping a look out for another one in the future. Thanks everyone for their thoughts and opinions.

18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave 200 bucks for mine complete with "kitty" graphics on the passengers door.

[​IMG]

She turned out OK though...

[​IMG]

3K seems a little high for yours, but maybe the guy will come down.... If not, they aren't really that hard to find. There have been some REAL nice ones in the classifieds for under 3 grand.

Good luck, -Abone.

-Abone.

19. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Take 20 $100.00 bills with you.Money talks ...you know the rest.

Elwood

20. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the advice but I'm sure he won't budge at all as the cars been up for sale for like the past 6 months if not longer and he says he is firm. I've actually never even met the guy selling it as it's stored at his friends house along with like 9 64-66 bonnevilles/grand prixs. Funny thing though is that his friend doesn't even want them there and he's getting pretty pissed about the situation. I emailed him an offer but that was 4 days ago and still haven't heard back. So most likely I'll be looking for another one.

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You know what will probably happen, his buddy will finally get fed up with all those cars taking up room at his house and a scrapper will get them all. It happens all the time.

Your in may be the buddy, let him know you are ready, willing, and able to get the car out of there NOW, at a reasonable price but that the owner is out of line on his price. He might go to his friend and tell him it is time for the cars to start leaving. I don't think you have anything to lose, looks like the negotiations have come to a halt anyway. :)

Don

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don's right on, as usual!:)

23. Old Racer 35

Old Racer 35
    from virginia

paid 3000 for mine 2 yrs ago with extra parts looked for 1 a long time .
    it was wat i wanted !remember money talks BS walks !

24. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

So I put a want add up on craigslist and get an email from someone with a 52 that is in good shape but the floors are completely gone, no motor/trans, interior is bad but has clean title and nice front fenders to replace the ones on the car. He wants 3000 for his too but says he's going to list it soon at 3500! Idk about trying to get one anymore. That second one makes the first look like a heck of a deal but he won't return any of my emails with offers. I think I might just give up.

25. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Yeah but yours was at least mostly complete. This one is just a rolling shell basically. Doesn't even have a steering column. Idk I want it but just don't see it being worth $3000. But then again it's hard to find clean cars up here in Minnesota.

26. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Know how you feel, I have looked at many, almost everytime they aren't what they were represented as over the phone, when you see them in person. I may end up paying more money for a nice stocker and sell off the stuff I don't need.

27. Jtg-3

Jtg-3
    from Huron Ohio

Hey guys I got mine (my avatar) complete, in stock condition, non running, with a rough original interior, (sat sheltered for years) wearing original paint (with some surface rust) bad rockers and floors (typical) and a few low holes (where grill trim was, door bottom) and sold/ traded almost all the original parts that I didn't want/need (at cheap prices), and re couped 80% of my original investment...after that..less than 1 large in a decent shell/frame (all that I need) they are still out there... Jim