Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pros and cons of running a full moon disc?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 29, 2004.

1. [ QUOTE ]
    PROS:

Look way cool on old timey rods & sleds

Can be used as makeshift snow-saucers for the kids

If you hold one up to your ear, you can hear what the dude across the room is saying

Allows you to save a few bucks...no need to buy nice wheels or chrome lugs

CONS:

Often come up missing when you park near frisbee tournaments

Don't easily let brake dust out to coat your wheels

Though concave, they rock too much to make good water dishes for pets

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Odd Job throw one of these at 007?

2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a 16" moon disc with an .010 model airplane engine makes a great flying saucer--back to the '50s!

3. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

I have been running some 15s from moon eyes on my car for several years. I have the snap on type. I lost one once when I forgot to slow down enough at a RR crossing. Damn things are fast too! Fortunately I was on a back road with litle traffic so I jumped out and chased it down.

Mike

4. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

EIGHT Year Old Thread

Is that some kinda record??????

5. chevymike

chevymike

hahaha... that's too funny.

NOW... on to a question I haven't seen asked or talked about. If the Moon discs sit flush to the wheel lip, what do you do about wheel weights? You can't use the standard edge clip on type. Do you have them use stick on weights on the inside of the lip?

6. inside lip and a self tapping 10-32 machine screws. I use 6. three sets of two screws. they will still rattle as the aluminum wears need to tighten them ocasionally

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think I have a good idea for you disc fans, and as it's about "hidden" tech it shouldn't effect your HAMB principles too much. As you are drilling holes for the screws (or not) and probably mounting new grips, too, why not install a set of digital wireless air pressure sensors like the new OEM cars have? The kits are reasonably priced and hiding the readout panel in the glove box or behind your sunshades would save you a lot of time and worry about your tire pressure status. Combine that with the long stem on the back side suggested above and you would have very few reasons to remove your discs just "to check" pressure. If the wheel bearings are good, tires balanced, and the lugs are torqued right, you could go years without taking the discs off. Gary

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  8. jazz1

jazz1

I got snap on moons on my truck,,considering how easily they go on I thought for sure I would lose some on the cow trails I travel but they are all still there and they look great.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. trollst

trollst

Had clip ons on my 36 for thirteen years now, never lost one, love the look, but, they make a clicking noise at low speed that no amount of trying has solved. I also find they are slightly out of balance at 70 miles per hour, yes they'll fit over wheel weights just fine.

10. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Not haters, They just look un authentic.
    Snap on = hubcap, screw on = moon disc.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Wow, where were you 8 years ago to stop everyone?

Yes this thread is 8 years old.

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

OK, you just gave me an idea..........

I've seen side chrome air brushed that looked so real you had to touch it to see it wasn't real. How about doing screw heads the same way. Got the look, but not the problems?

Full discs and wide whites? A matter of taste.

[​IMG]

13. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Yep, they are snap on caps, work well on painted rims. Never had a problem with this set up. Happy with them as the only caps I would put on this car........

[​IMG]

14. [​IMG]
    Screw on's cover the $15.00 wheels I picked up at the swap meet.

15. SimonSez

SimonSez

For me the problem with the snap-on caps isn't the missing screw threads, but the way that the snap-on's are thicker at the edge because they are folded over the piece that snaps onto the wheel.

The way a screw on disc sits down inside the lip on the rim and has that nice thin edge that shows the colour of the rim around the outside is all part of the look to me and I think they just don't look right without it.

16. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

I had some push on ones on my works van for a year or so until I lost one.
    They do rattle a little but annoyingly as you drive along. and eventually one did fall off.
    Rich

17. 26 roadster

26 roadster

screwed mine to beauty rings and one was a frisbee in LA traffic LOL, The wife retrieved it though.
    I didn't take the tires of to mount when screwed on, tiny screws into the bead.
    The Dutz fastener type are easy on and off (pricey) and you weld the tab to the wheel
    Move your valve stem to the inside of the wheel if you have a air problem.
    You have to check the screws as stated they do get loose
    LSR rules require at least 6 screws or the Dutz type

18. zzford

zzford

I've had both. The screw on type are a PIA. You have to deal with the screws loosening up and you have to remove them to check the air pressure. The push on type look hokey to me. Take your choice.

19. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Attached are pictures of my screw-on discs, with valve stems on the outside. I used long tubeless stems, and drilled a hole in the disc to let the end of the stem come thru the hole. Bob

Attached Files:

20. 26 roadster

26 roadster

[​IMG]

set for the Ohio Mile car

21. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Hey, the age of this thread itself is "traditional" now. At least its not asking what color rims to run with black primer.

22. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sometimes you just have to do the best you can with what you have. I've seen screws and fasteners more inboard like this on tabs instead of the bead.

[​IMG]

23. I have run the screw on ones in the past and tried every trick listed. My 40 has dzus fasteners on it. Not a sound or wobble.
    If you run at SCTA events and use screws you have to have six per wheel, if you use dzus it's only three. That should tell you something.