Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tach for a pre-war roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A BONED, Jun 8, 2012.

1. A BONED

A BONED

Fantastic information. I didn't realize there were crank driven tachs.
    So now I'll be looking for a 4-5K mechanical tach and try and find the bits and pieces to attach it to the front of the crank. Very cool.

2. alchemy

alchemy

The drive with the bracket is attached to the crank through a short flex shaft. It needs the bracket to hold the angle housing in place.

The drive with the through-bolt is not going to move because the the through-bolt is holding it to the front of the engine. If the cable wasn't hooked up, it would spin around with the crank. But if you attach the cable and make sure the cable doesn't have too much slack, the housing will ride just fine.

The actual housing casting is probably very similar in both applications. The internals would differ, and there may be a different flange for bracketery (or no bracketry), but those are incidental.

Grease them both VERY well.

3. alchemy

alchemy

This is a good price (currently $75) for this tach. And if a guy wanted a black face or a different RPM range, it could probably be rebuilt for $150-200. Overall a cheap way to get into a vintage tach.

A fella can make his own bracket for the drive, and buy one of these: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=254

4. Old Guy

Old Guy

5. swissmike

swissmike

I patterened my tach drive after the cast piece shown above. The right angle drives are on ebay quite often. i had to machine a new part (the black nut) that holds it to the angle drive.
    The crank nut was turned down and a piece of flexible shaft permanently mounted. The end of the shaft has the tang which engages in the angle drive. The crank nut now requires a deep socket to install, then the rest is screwed onto the front of the engine.
    Took quite a bit to get everything perfectly lined up, but it's working great.

The panel is an early Chris Craft (SW made?) panel. The tach is counter clock rotating which looks kind of cool. SW made these tachs in all kinds of rpm ranges and both rotations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pictures of the roadster

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704312

[​IMG]

6. A BONED

A BONED

alchemy & swissmike thanks for all the great useful information and links. Thanks to everyone else that has contributed to a not too often thought about item.
    It seems I can easily fab up a bracket to hold in place a readily available right angled tach drive adaptor onto the end of any crankshaft. That to me screams pre war. What really spins my crank (pun intended) is that early purpose built dry lakes style Rod, and a crank driven mechanical tach would really fit the bill.

7. fryguy

fryguy

A Boned, good luck on the crank drive, it will be one of those items that when seen will be a definitely cool factor. Add a 4-5 grand early tach and it definitely wll fit the pre-war era. Half the fun is the hunt.

8. fryguy

fryguy

JJ, how did you make out, did you bid on it? I see a few bids and it ended at a reasonable $81.

9. fryguy

fryguy

Wanted to see if anybody knows if the Flathead crank bolt sizes are all the same? The crank drive I have is for a 59 ab. Will it fit in my 21 stud crank?

10. swissmike

swissmike

They are the same for 8BA and 59A and I am almost certain they are the same for the earlier ones as well.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I can't understand why all the modern gauge vendors wont offer gauges that look like that.

Ago

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My thoughts when I saw it. Man, thats nice.

14. fryguy

fryguy

Thanks Mike, thats what I am hoping. Makes sense that they would.

15. Just found this one this morning and have the flathead SW mechanical drive that goes with it. BF3DEB96-E5E8-4754-B3D1-355493E4C0F7.jpeg
    CA0E0743-D61C-4AD0-A8F3-1D73F370F540.jpeg

BlueNotes likes this.