Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. That car was a steal, and in fantastic shape!!!! My Sea Spray/Black '56 Plymouth was parked a few cars down. Nice purchase.

Dave

2. classy eh

classy eh
    from Canada

I've been told that I could flip the spindles to drop the front end on my 56 Regent (Canadian car)? Has anybody done this, or is my buddy full of it?

3. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I havent tried that.. and I dont even know if it can be done..

4. I think that would actually raise the car, rather than lower it. Here is a pic of the spindle on my 56 Plymouth.

Attached Files:

5. Funny,

I'm at a stage with my 56 Custom Royal build where I've been looking at this idea and will maybe tackle in the next week or two to see if it can be done. Looks like it might be able as the upper and lower mounts appear to be sized similar, I have to disassemble in order to trim coils anyway so I will find out and let you know... So far the steering links seem to be the worst to figure out in my mind...

6. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I would think there would be more of a problem with camber and ackermaan angle and kingpin inclination if you flipped the spindles, assuming it could even be done. But, what do I know???? something to think about though.

7. Used to be done to shoebox Fords and Mercs all the time... Time will tell, then we will all know...

8. OCDEDITS

OCDEDITS

Hi All,

New to this thread. Just trailered in a 56 Coronet 2-door hardtop. Bagged at all four corners, Mustang II up front with power rack, Ford 9" in the rear. Running a '75 vintage 440 with 727 Tranny. Roof painted in silver metal flake, interior parts in red, and some under hood detailing. The rest ready for paint or good to roll as is. Arizona car. All the stainless and chrome is in good or better shape. A solid start. Looking for a good home and thought I would throw a line out here.

9. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Hi, i am trying to fit my 383 into my 55 Dodge. Do you have any pictures of your motor mount set up?
    Thx....

10. OCDEDITS

OCDEDITS

Hey Sarge,

I can send pics, but it's your basic Mustang II arrangement (tube steel from cross beam, arm to shock tower and a short post to the motor mount). Probably not helpful if you're running stock suspension.

11. George

George

You checked the hot rodding section of www.forwardlook.net ?:confused:

12. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

You mean you swapped in the mustang II clip firstly?

13. OCDEDITS

OCDEDITS

Generally easier to section in a front clip without an engine suspended in space.....Mustang II set up is not just bolting on spindles, it is the entire front crossmember. It replaces the stock rails, etc.

14. 73RR

73RR

15. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

I just swapped in a 440 to my '56. Made our own mounts, since NOTHING is available for this swap. Offset the engine a bit to the right to address clearance at the steering box. Here are the best shots I have of my mounts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  16. Streight8

Streight8

Just signed on as I had some questions on the my buick build. (47 Roadmaster rag with Caddy 500 engine) I have some stock misc parts if anyone is looking for stuff but it is Plodge stuff so doesn't always translate to fitting with the US parts. I do have a nice v-8 recored rad fresh never used that ended up being to tall after the frame z'ing (oops:D) I did a frame graft using a Caravelle/Diplomat clip, tried to keep everything Mopar and everything is except the front seats. Drivetrain is a warmed over 360 (oversized valves,cam, roller rockers, intake and headers) otherwise pretty tame. Just have to get two tail pipes built and the wheel alignment, and we should be on the street. As you can see in the picture we may need to dial up the torsion bars as 5 inches under the front bumper may not clear some of the local speed bumps. I build this for/with my son, he is 17 and thinks it looks cooler than his CRV daily driver.

17. Streight8

Streight8

Fatman's does sell dropped spindles (nothing money won't cure, 400 a set I believe), have to check that they would fit Plodge cause front suspension is one area where parts are different and depending on whether it is a 6 or 8 originally ( I have a full blown Canadian parts book so I can check if you would like, it lists all the us and cdn parts.) I dislike messing with swapping front end parts around as the geometry issues can sometimes create unexpected surprises, like not enough adjustment for alignment, then you have to find a shop willing to play with it to get it right without chewing up your wallet.

18. slim sammy

slim sammy

heres some of mine. just bought it this spring from a feller on the board here, found it on the classifieds actually. first dodge for me. the little 270poly runs like swiss watch. need to convert to 12v system but thats about it.
    1955 royal sierra wagon.270.3spd.OD.

Attached Files:

19. classy eh

classy eh
    from Canada

I've looked at Fatman and yes it would be the way to go... however like most of us building our rides we also have kids (17 month little girl) so money is tight. Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas.

20. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I just bought the uprights from Fatmans,closer to $500..also you will have to convert to disc.(thats what they told me at Fatmans) I was going to do that anyhow. Rusty hope is a good place to get disc. brake kits from. He uses Mopar rotors and Chevy calipers. Classy eh; you have a real nice 56 there. I have always been Intrigued by these half Ply. Half Dodge autos. The Frontends on these MoPars were really a great frontend and dont need to be subframed.(In my opion)

21. Those look like a good solution for mounts - not the way I would have done it but pretty solid and got the job done. Is there an insulator in there somewhere?

22. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

Here is mine. '56 Royal Lancer an old survivor. I bought it to do a resto/custom but have decided to go with a later body style. So this one is for sale but I'm still drivin it for fun

Attached Files:

23. That is such a sweet longroof! Congrats on your first Dodge, you can't go back now . . .

slim sammy likes this.
  24. Streight8

Streight8

Subframes, well. The Canadian 6's have under sized brakes and different bits and pieces in the front steering than the V8 cars and the american 6's. Parts are a challenge to find. Plus it so happens all the dimensions on the Diplomat/Caravelle, including distance to rad and firewall, trackwidth are virtually the same between the two cars. Then you get built in motor mounts and all the suspension gear is in one piece (with power steering) with great parts availablility. So if you are traveling and something goes clunk, on the road replacment parts are easy to find. Again my opinion and preference, also kind of wanted the adjustablility of the torsion bars. This car was sort of, I never built a Mopar before, the car was given to me and I wondered what you can do.

25. OCDEDITS

OCDEDITS

Posted details of the Mustang II motor mounts in cars for sale "1956 Dodge Coronet - Bagged". The fabrication shown works for a 440 and similar set up should work well for stock set up. Not all that expensive, and, as you point out, parts are readily available.

26. DELRAY54

DELRAY54

love it!

27. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Ok guys I need your help, the other day I found a '56 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer 500 Convertible just down the street from my house. Car is super clean but appears to have been sitting outside for the past 10 years or so.

Paint, interior and chrome all look super nice, looks like all of the rubber is rotted but overall the car is super cherry.

Anyways, I know we all hate this question but what is a car like this worth. These Dodge's are new to me and there definitely is not a whole lot of info on them online but from what I see it look like it's a pretty rare car... Any help? Thanks.

Attached Files:

28. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I am looking for a set of tail lights like the ones on sutton speeds 56 royal lancer anybody have some for sale?

29. WHOM, IN THEIR RIGHT MIND, WOULD LEAVE A BEAUTIFUL CAR LIKE THAT OUTSIDE TO FEND FOR ITSELF FOR TEN YEARS?!? :eek:

....doesn't look too crusty too me. Mine came from Hesperia, Cal.. Was a desert car for a looong time. Barely any plastic hanging on to steering wheel lol.

Nice find, for sure. Enjoy your car.