Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stock or drop it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Jun 10, 2012.

?
  1. Leave it alone

32 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Drop that bitch!

59 vote(s)
    58.4%
  3. Who gives a shit?

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Droppin the bitch seems to be the winner so far.:rolleyes:

2. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

i cant wait to see the end product

3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Me either! I must admit with the wife making some of the decisions it may not be HAMB friendly. We will just have to see. She wants to make it like our old 33 but without the sunroof.
    [​IMG]

4. Fenders

Fenders

Let's get back to talking about the car...

(Sorry you walked into it :eek: )

5. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

6. i say motor then drop. to really know where you are at. but drop.

7. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I would leave it alone ,until you get the right shackels and engine in it. Then see where you sit.

8. metal man

metal man

Dropped model A axle and a longer panhard bar. Shorter (stock) shackles too. You'll be set.

9. i say stock, not the half-of-a-front-suspension-ford-rolling-wishbone-hunk-o-iron that is in it.

10. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Care to expand on this?

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Do it the way you like it.....

4TTRUK

12. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Either way with the right wheel and tire combo you cant go wrong.. She just prob says its fine the way it is cause she dont wanna be too picky, but if shes eyeing a bunch of rides that are low with dropped axles than that shows you she'd like it that way too,

In the end it matters more to you than her cause your the gearhead, shell prob like it either way, women are weird like that.

13. send the axle to Sid and have it dropped you will be happy when its done.

14. sure, i like the original chevy front axle set ups and can't understand why someone would put a single spring, split wishbone/hairpin suspension under that car. it seams backwards to me, the chevy suspension was much better.

15. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I have to laugh. Not that you would but you don't know my old lady. She has helped me lift big block's, pulled engine's out of cars with me, she almost ran me over to get to the mail man two days in a row. One for her 34 Chevy grille & then the new 34 dash we picked up for it. The best was the birth of our daughter. It was july 4th weekend & we always go to our favorite car show that weekend. Lying in the hospital in between contractions she was yelling at me saying she wanted to go to the show. To me the birth of a child is a bit more important but not her. As far as picky; her words! "This thing is getting a tunnel ram with dual quads and that's final" I say all the time that I am blessed because my whole family is nuts for cars. So I have to take her idea's & make them work.

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I hear ya! The guy that was building the car did the work not me (God rest his soul). From the pictures I saw of it when he brought it home he didn't have a lot to work with (frame wise). For what ever reason he built a custom frame & this is what he used. For me to undo what is done just to put parallel leaf springs in it would be a lot of wasted time & effort. I want to drive this car with in the next year or two and if I go changing this it will set me way back. My last 33 was the same way but it was on deuce rails. Only thing I can think of the ford axles are more plentiful. But if I had a stock frame & I was building it I would do the chevy front end. To me there is too much emphasis put on fords. Everything is ford. Just sayin...

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I was told it is a 37-41 axle and it can only be dropped about 1-3/4. Looks like I'm going with a 4" drop so this one may end up in the classifieds. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm sure sid does nice work.

18. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Its a health and safety issue really.

If you dont drop it, she may suffer nosebleeds when shes out driving due to altitude poisoning. :(:(

As a loving husband, you wouldnt want that on your conscience now would you?

19. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

So it's my duty as a husband to protect her from altitude poisoning and sky-king-itis. Also to protect all the other drivers from being blinded.:D

20. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

DROP-IT like you would an ex.
    B.B.

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This one is just about perfect. :cool::cool::cool:

Attached Files:

22. Chester

Chester
    from At work

From the pics I assume you are going sans front fenders?
    I'd say leave it.

23. Yes but if it were a gas class coupe it would have set at stock ride height or a little higher once the engine was set back. Maybe one might say that not all rods are belly scrapers some may even be competition oriented.

That said Z had the best arguement for leaving it as is. Ya gotta keep the lady of the house happy. Around here they say that you have to remember that she has half the money and all the pussy. :D

24. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thank you to all the HAMB members for taking part in my poll. We have decided to drop the bitch.

25. Ghost28

Ghost28

Hey BIG JIM. In my opinion chevys tend to sit higher all around than there ford counter parts. even with the ford style crossmember. So a 4 inch drop would not be out of the question, and would prolly get you down to a good height. so a 4 inch drop with the ford style front end is my vote.
    John

26. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Yeah that's what we are going with. It might be too much shine for the HAMB though (or maybe not). We went with speedways new forged, drilled & dropped axle. Also went with the reverse eye spring to get it a bit lower. We should have chipmunks and other small critters running for their lives when this hits the road.:D

[​IMG]

27. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

You only live once...you know what to do