Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windshield Glass Color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I will be buying my glass tomorrow for my 56 F100 and I'm a deer in head lights trying to decided on clear or classic green tint glass. What are your thoughts on the two? The truck will be satin black, smoked glass is out because it 44%, my state allows up to 35%. Thanks

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

good ol green solex looks the best to me..

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Puke Green and if your truck wasn't painted yet, I would have recommended Piss Yellow.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I don't know what is available for your windshield but for the flat glass you can get a very mild tint that will not be noticed at all. I chopped my Deuce W/S and wanted clear. He said no problem but it will cost you the price of a full sheet of glass.$$$$ I bought the light tint and you can't really tell.

5. ryno

ryno

clear. nice new clear glass.

6. I used green tint on the roadster. Looks good. Makes a difference when the top is on. The glass guy told me the same thing about gray tint, which was my first choice because the car is gray, but it is against Wisc. law.

7. just to add a little shit to the game. we now have light grey windshields available and also can have darker grey shaded band across the top.
    these are legal tint. the same shade as the Lexas and Mercedes

8. The Big M

The Big M

Tint is typically specified according to percentage of visible light transmission. By that measure 44% is actually a lighter tint than 35%. That is, 44% allows more light to pass through than 35%, so smoked side glass should be okay if you wanted to go that route (I assume the windshield would need to be clear though).

I think I prefer clear or light green on older stuff, but 44% smoked tint on the side windows with a clear windshield would be very subtle.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  9. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thats great thanks for the information because i wanted the smoked for the rear and sides and I could go with the clear front

10. Chester

Chester
    from At work

Get the green tint, it reduces some of the glare.
    Clear glass suck on bright sunny days

11. The Big M

The Big M

No problem! It's interesting that you're only allowed 35% on the rear window. Here you could go as dark as you wanted on the rear window but wouldn't be allowed to tint the sides.