Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Punk Rod Todd - RIP -Greaserama Fans-show your support this year....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Jun 11, 2012.

1. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

There are very few people in my life that I can say changed the course of my life.
    Punk Rod Todd is one of those.

I first met him six or seven years ago at Greaserama and we immediately had a connection. (for those that don't know
    about Greaserama...it is hosted by Los Punk Rods CC and is the only car show in Kansas City worth driving
    6 hours to get to-which is what I have done for the past 6/7 years. It takes place at a drive in and cool movies are
    shown there at night - last year they had about 1,000 entries to the show.)
    We both had a love of comic books, conspiracy theories, art, movies, vintage magazines, music, and of course...cars.
    It's funny though - I can not think of any conversations about cars.....other than -
    Greaserama 2 or 3 years ago - a low rider Caddy came into the show and there were about 8 people standing
    around and we were all commenting about how that car was at the wrong show etc.
    Right when we are in the middle of complaining - up rolls Todd on his bicycle. I say - "Hey Todd! Who
    let that car in?"
    He emphatically replies - "I did!! That car is COOL man!"
    And that is one of the reasons why Greaserama was such a success. Punk Rod Todd had a firm grasp on what
    was cool and what wasn't.
    Punk Rod Todd was influential on all aspects of the show...
    the art direction, the films chosen, the kinds of cars that were let in, the bands that were booked, the vendors that
    were let in, and all the minute details that so many people don't think about when putting on a massive show. It should
    be noted that his wife Leslie was always helping out with anything that Todd was doing...in fact some would say that
    Todd would come up with ideas, and Leslie would make them happen. Whatever the case, the two of them were a powerhouse
    that have helped change the scene in the midwest. While Leslie may not have received the recognition that others did,
    she was a force of good behind Todd and without her, Todd and Los Punk Rods may never have been able to accomplish all
    that they have done.
    In the winter time I would come down to World of Wheels show and hang out with the Los Punk Rods in their section of
    the show, and in the summer at the KKOA in Salina we would hang out as well. Even if Todd was not there - his name, and
    ideas were always brought up and his presence was always felt.

In 2006, we had a problem with our daughter Hannah and Los Punk Rods were very supportive when all the heart issues for Hannah were going
    on. I told Todd that I had an idea for a show in Iowa. It was all about having a good time, much like the vibe of
    Greaserama and another amazing show we attended - Jalopy Showdown in Gettysburg PA.
    I had a lot of ideas about how to proceed....but simply could not pull the trigger because we did not have the money
    to rent the location and pay the insurance. I specifically recall Todd asking me - "If you had the money for the
    insurance and the rental for the place...would you make it happen?" I said of course and didn't really think anything more
    about the conversation. The next day of Greaserama, Todd comes up to me and says Los Punk Rods are going to pay
    for the seed money for Torque Fest. I did not know what to say and actually cried....
    Who else would understand my vision?
    Who else could feel the enthusiasm that I had for our non event in Iowa?
    Who understood that by doing something that provides entertainment to the masses - you could actually do something
    positive for the community around you?
    Punk Rod Todd did all this....
    not only did he share the vision of what we were trying to accomplish here in Iowa, he had great suggestions and did
    everything he could to help get the show off the ground.
    Punk Rod Todd knew that helping our event get off the ground - we could eventually help other families with similar problems
    as ours.

Todd Karnahan will sorely be missed.
    His creative spirit will forever shape not only Greaserama, but also Torque Fest.

If there is no one that will be helping out Leslie Karnahan in the KC community, then I will take the lead and do it myself.
    I will keep everyone posted and we have to help pay for the bills that the Karnahans have incurred on this battle with cancer. Let's make Greaserama extra special this year and remember one of the reasons that the show happens is to help others - this year let's help Todd's widow.

I love my Punk Rods brothers....today we all mourn the loss.
    Tomorrow I hope we can remember that his creative vision, love of new experiences, and his ability to go out and make a
    difference in the world is what Todd was all about.
    He has changed my life for the better.
    Thank you Todd.
    Viva Los Punk Rods

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Todd is a great guy. He is missed.

3. I had the oportunity to visit with Todd at the world of wheels several times. What a KOOL guy. Always willing to visit and help with whatever he could. What a loss to his family and his hot rod family. Keep his memory and efforts going.
    Later,
    Dick

4. Speed King

Speed King
    from Omaha

The hotrod, motorcycle, music and art world has suffered a tremendous loss. RIP Punk Rod Todd. My respect and condolences to club and family, Frankie, Speed Kings, Omaha.

5. chigger

chigger

Never met Todd , but been to greaserama several times. Our Family here will keep family there in our thoughts.

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Todd loved the Hot Rod movement and did a good job introducing our hobby to a
    younger crowd. We will be praying for the family and his friends to find peace with
    the loss. RIP Todd, I'm gonna miss ya....

7. Marcy

Marcy

RIP Todd.
    He was one of the good ones for sure.
    Deepest condolences to his family and club mates.

Marcy

8. Trix Saum

Trix Saum

Thank you so much John Wells. We are in the process of gathering information. As soon as the donation link is loaded on Greaserama.com I will share.

Rest in peace, my cherished friend. Thank you for your vision, guidance, and encouragement. I am forever changed because of you. VLPR Punk Rod Todd

T
    VLPR

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sympathy to Family & Friends

10. rocketman402

rocketman402

We have all lost one of the great ones :( He had love all around him till the end all of his friends where there for him just like he was for them. You will be so missed my friend:(

11. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Never met Todd, but have been to Greaserama the last 6 years, and plan on making it this year as well! Rest in peace....

12. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Thank you John.

Every person's story of their experience with Todd is never a dull one and I am glad that you became part of his visions and saw them come to fruition.
    He was a genius.
    R.I.P. Punk Rod Todd. You are loved and will be greatly missed. VLPR

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I love the Greaserama and the Punk Rods....I will miss Todd.
    Thank you for sharing your personal story John.
    My condolences to his family and friends.
    I will be at the show this September as always.

14. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Oh man,glad I had a nice visit back in Feb. Great guy R.I.P

15. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

I met Todd at the first Greaserama at the old El Torrion Ballroom, and from that day on we always looked each other up when we were at the same venues.
    I havent been to the Greaserama since the El Torrion days, but I will definately be in KC this September..............RIP old friend and god bless your family.

16. Thank you John for all the good things you have brought up on Todd. I met him through my daughter Trix Saum & Ryan her husband. I was impressed from day one with all the fire he had for this hobby and the people that par-take in it.
    He will be missed by all.
    I am sure he is cruising around heaven in a hot rod looking down on us and telling everyone not to greive but to get out in your ride and feel the wind in your face and watch the sun set as you motor down the road to no where living life to the fullest as he did.
    REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND,,,,,,

17. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Prayers for comfort,rest in peace,respect.

18. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I had a really good visit with Todd at the last Greaserama and it was funny, it started raining and he never missed a beat, he just kept talking, didnt care a bit about the rain, he was too busy visiting to worry about the rain. Really good guy that will be missed, I will be there again this year but it will not be the same without Todd. Jim

19. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

We have known Todd since the 2nd Greaserama. He had a vision for the future of hot rodding and the common hot rodder. Todd was a great person to know. Great story John, Todd will be missed, RIP.......

20. SmytheAlissa

SmytheAlissa
    BANNED
    from london

I had the oportunity to visit with Todd at the world of wheels several times
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

sorry for the loss. seems like he was a cool guy. i was at greaserama last year, broke my brand new phone in the rain. totally worth it. will definitely go back this year.

22. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

R.I.P. Punkrod Todd! You made the world a better place, we're gonna miss you. My prayers to Todd's family and all who knew him(his other family!)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  23. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

I've known Todd and Leslie for along time. He was more than a club brother. (I moved in 2001 leaving the PR then. Pre-Greaserama era). Todd always made time for anyone. He always had a smile for the downtrodden and a helping hand for the unlucky. He gave more than he took. He had a big work ethic and a DYI attitude but knew the value of friendship and pulling the best working attributes out of a group. When I heard he passed this morning I knew I had to stuff it down because I knew I had to go to work anyway. It's been weighing heavy on my mind and heart all day. I still haven't processed it. I will miss him. The person/the friend/the mentor/the ex CC brother. The world truly.truly is a sorrier place for losing him. I'll miss that goofy smile and positive attitude. I hope Leslie has a strong support network around her right now.

Godspeed friend, see you on the other side.

24. sololobo

sololobo

I first met Todd and Leslie in Lawrence when they lived there and had the pomade company. We bought his product for our stores then and enjoyed a fun business relationship, I still have several diffferent labels he packed for other folks including Palvoline #7 for the Paladins. I have attended almost all the Greaserama events and always enjoyed all Todd and Leslie's efforts for a well rounded show of art, music, vendors, bikes, bicycles, and a awesome variety of great cars. At the Greaserama a few years ago Todd had to leave the show from exhaustion and was the start of his health issues, he was the bravest ever as he stayed ultra positive thru all the severe health problems. Last year our automotive brotherhood's Rob Lee was awarded Los Punk Rods trophy for club pick and it was an awesome trophy built by Todd himself. We have been fortunate to become friends with the Punk Rodders and visited their super shop earlier after the World of Wheels Kansas City and were blessed to spend quality time with Todd. Rest in peace loved brother, you are forever in our thoughts. ~sololobo~/South Omaha Turds.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  25. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Godspeed PR Todd.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

(photo borrowed from PR Paul, via FB)

Attached Files:

26. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

RIP Todd. You'll be missed.

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

Definitely sad news. I met him the first time I went to Greaserama and he treated me like an old friend. Bummer.

28. rocketman402

rocketman402

29. snakes1949

snakes1949

Sorry for your loss, He will be missed.

30. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

To John and all others that were touched by Punk Rod Todd, we have set up a memorial fund link on our website http://lospunkrods.com/
    You can mail or click the PayPal link to help Todd's lovely wife Leslie through this terrible time she is going through.
    Todd and Leslie had no insurance and she devoted every hour to be by this man's side to comfort him. They were the true definition of soul mates.
    If you have ever experienced attending a GREASERAMA, you need to thank Leslie just as much as Todd, because she was a lot of the "hidden" driving force that made this show what it has become over the last 12 years.
    We are all very proud of the responses and support that we have gotten regarding Todd, but we need to rally together and help Leslie out as best as we can.
    Thank you all.

R.I.P.
    VLPRT