Register now to get rid of these ads!

chopped window stainless-can I make clips to join pieces?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I saw a tech on that long ago but the author wasn't happy with the results.

I can bend the stainless good enough but tig welding is out of the question, unfortunately.

Is there any way to make my own clips or something to hide the splices in the trim? I've got a few but I'm sure ill need some more. Thanks in advance!

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

What kinda trim you working on.

3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Its on a '51 Ford if that's what you mean?

4. You can take a chunk of the stainless that you cut out (if you're chopping the car) and cut it to about 1/2" wide. Then just file the edges, and bend it out a bit to fit overtop. Cut most of the "flange" on the back side of the trim off, and snap it overtop of the splice/joint. That should do it.

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Oh great! That's not bad at all.

Thanks much!

6. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I am chopping a '51 tudor myself and I had just parted out 5 cars and got all the stainless off of them. I was going to use the clips to join the seams together since I had so many but if I had to tig a few together that would not be an issue either. I will be getting to that stage pretty soon and if I have some trim and clips left over your welcome to them. Just PM me you information and that way I can call you to let you know what I have or send a photo of them to you. Who knows I might have plenty for you, me and someone else!

Billy