Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 11E

11E
    from USA

Correct. This is absolutely clear from the closeup view taken from the front. There is all sorts of discoloration (especially yellowing) and age spots in the top part of the frame, an a wrinkle/crack running the length of the overhead light.

I've spent a lot of time digitally cleaning up pictures from the '60's that were taken on 110 print film ("Instamatic") that spent decades in an album...or in a shoebox under somebody's bed. These look just like those.

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Guys I guess I do not have a clue how to attach old threads to this one (regarding my grandfather and collector, Barney Pollard) but I am not sure how necessary it is. This is a copy of what I said in another thread on the HAMB so you may get the point. Just for the sake of completion, the burned building was built prior to the time of the recon missions looking for scrap for WWII. My grandfather's biggest problem was hundreds of cars and not enough room to store them. You could store three cars in the space of one if you stood them on end-not rocket science. The need for scrap accelerated him putting the cars under cover and he only had a limited amount of room. The cost of saving the cars was not an easy proposition and it was costly. During these hard times my grandfather went to pretty good lengths to come up with enough scrap to satisfy the government quotas set up by his meetings in Washington DC. He convinced them that they wanted scrap not neceessarily cars and so he gave them what they wanted-scrap. He had to purchase large items of scrap (i.e. old craneways about Detroit that very few had the equipment or desire to purchase and cutup etc) and then have his workers cut it up and haul it back to his property and then haul it to the Rouge complex all at his expense. Even though he gave up a limited amount of cars he continued to purchase and cut up and deliver scrap as per his agreement-Jim

In an earlier thread I responded with the following:

"It is a pretty fascinating story and my grandfather did work hard at keeping the government from destroying all of the cars. My grandfather started collecting in 1938 and kept them parked about his property where he parked his trucks. In flying recon missions around Detroit the government saw what my grandfather had as a treasure trove for materials. The government insisted he give up the cars for the war effort. My grandfather went to Washington in an attempt to make a deal with him. He bought tons of scrap (both steel and aluminum)that they had not discovered and the deal he made was to strip all of the tires and give them all of the scrap he had found and to give up one car a week that he had to deliver to the Ford Rouge plant. My grandfather and Henry Ford were not the best of friends (due to a couple of incidents but one story as he related to the Ford writer David Lewis) as my grandfather laid miles of roadbed for the railroad tracks at the rouge and Ford sent his associate Bennett to intimidate my grandfather into taking less. The problem is that my grandfather was the toughest man I have ever met and in some pretty colorful language I can only assume, he told Bennett to take a hike. Long story short my grandfather had many Fords in his collection and so he took over only Fords, one a week for a few weeks and then he stopped. Ford never turned him in as he figured my grandfather would only continue to bring Fords.

Then my grandfather decided he had better hide the cars from any more prying eyes so he sunk telephone poles into the ground and put 90 lb railroad rail from post to post and hung the cars from the rail with wire rope. Then he built walls around the buildings and so when you went in the buildings there were hundreds of cars hanging from their front bumpers. Crude but it saved a bunch of cars."

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    photos: LIFE online archives

4. 1940 Migrant Fruit Pickers, unknown location
    [​IMG]

5. 1939 near Oklahoma City
    [​IMG]

6. 1956 - WTVT News car. Where is-or was - this station located?
    [​IMG]

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

8. New ('39?) Mercury. Check out the double WWSWs
    [​IMG]
    photo-WSU archives

9. Henry & Edsel
    [​IMG]
    photo: WSU archives

10. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

Anyone noticed that this isn't your everyday 1933/34 Model 40 ?
    It's a German (Cologne buildt) Ford 'Rheinland'.
    The badge shows on the grill. They were buldt from 34 to early 36, using 1933-34 Ford US Model 40 running gear, fenders and B- banger engine along with somewhat altered body styles.( more wood, different reveals aso)
    They used f.e. the 1933 grill style all years but changed to double hood side handles, but keeping the round 33 style louvers. To me the more beautiful 34. They only buildt 5750 cars within 3 yrs, compared to a million US 33/34 Fords.
    I have a 2dr sdn buildt in 35 for 36 model year but with 33 grill...:D:confused:

[​IMG]

11. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

PS the licence plate 'IZ' of the cabriolet mentioned above shows that it was registered in a community close to the Cologne factory. In case anybody is interested in stuff like that ;)

12. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Looks like Tampa FL

13. PK

PK
    from Ohio

It is Tampa Fl, the pic was shot out back of the studio located on Grand Central later named Kennedy Blvd. At that time is was a CBS TV station, but now WTVT although still located at the original location is now a Fox affiliate.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  14. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

WTVT has in interesting history signing on the air in 1955. The studios were in a remodeled Greek restaurant that had never opened. The 56s were painted red and white. The guy in the first photo is Marvin Scott.

Here are a couple more shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  15. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

VERY cool info, thanks for posting.. I was wondering about that car...

16. Don't recall if this ones been thrown in the bucket or not but it's worth bringing back to the top. Ran across'd it in a '54 issue of SI...wishin that were my Gramps & Memaw

[​IMG]

17. Rent A. Trip

Rent A. Trip

18. swi66

swi66

19. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Scranton PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gordonton NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. swi66

swi66

21. swi66

swi66

22. swi66

swi66

23. swi66

swi66

24. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Wahl Motor Cars, Clymer PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kittanning PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Cumberland MD
    [​IMG]

25. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Johnstown PA 1906
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. 11E

11E
    from USA

I love these pics of old motorcycles. That is a pre-JD, so before 1922 and is actually probably pre-war (the FIRST world war). Best guess is 1912-1914.
    Starting with the JD series, they have much more "modern" swoopy tank designs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.